Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever seen or suspected a conflict of interest pertaining to those who perform the radon tests in homes for sale and the possible installation of the radon ventilation system? Another words do those testers also install ventilation systems. The more I read about radon in homes the more I'm suspect such as no two tests measure the same, two houses feet apart measure different. The threshold is low compared to other nations. Granite countertops omit radon, the sun will kill you quicker, on and on it seems. Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:01 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Home inspectors can do radon tests. They do not sell radon systems. You can also order a test kit yourself by mail from a laboratory, set up the test yourself and then send it back to the lab, who will analyze the test results for you.

Just do a little research and you should be able to mitigate the problem of having a testing service also be the installer.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 AM

107 posts, read 339,813 times
I did the radon test with my inspector. The radon came up to be 12. The radon mitigation company was not affiliated with the inspector. In fact, the builder hired them separately. The re-test was done with my inspector again and the levels were at 1.5-2.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
What willowwind said. There are very good reasons to expect different readings in neighboring houses. Most of us these days avoid excessive sun exposure and don't smoke. When I was buying a house in a radon-prone part of the country I tested and remediated because I want to live forever.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
What willowwind said. There are very good reasons to expect different readings in neighboring houses. Most of us these days avoid excessive sun exposure and don't smoke. When I was buying a house in a radon-prone part of the country I tested and remediated because I want to live forever.
Do you own granite countertops?

Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are an unfortunate number of folks that do such tests that often do promote their own ability to install "radon mitigation" or recommend a friend / relative to do such things. RUN FROM THEM! The actual work involved is rarely particualrly involved and often the mark-up from these "recommended installers" is orders of magnitude higher than the street price of the components.

While folks that promote the hazards of radon will often quote statistics that state radon is the number two cause of lung cancer they rarely if ever state that essentially all cases of radon aggravated lung disease are in MINERS not home owners!

The systems can be installed very inexpensively and if done properly should have virtually no downsides.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> Do you own granite countertops?

I had not heard of granite as an issue so I did a search

"EPA believes the principal source of radon in homes is from the soil in contact with basement floors and walls."

What about radon and radioactivity in granite countertops

There does appear to be some uncertainty however.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> Do you own granite countertops?

I had not heard of granite as an issue so I did a search

"EPA believes the principal source of radon in homes is from the soil in contact with basement floors and walls."

What about radon and radioactivity in granite countertops

There does appear to be some uncertainty however.
No test needed------yet. Just don't stand too close to them.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:34 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Because granite is a natural material (rock) it can contain radon. There was a study made that found radon in granite counter tops. However, there was a talk that the study was funded by the people that make solid surface counter top material.

I have done radon testing since the early 90's. I have always held that it is a conflict of interest to do testing then install the mitigation system.
Radon levels go up and down during any given day, just like the temperature and humidity can change. Once you understand how radon works it is also easy to understand how one house can be high, and the house across the street, or even next door can be low. It's pretty simple science.

While mitigation systems appear to be very simple, there are many things that can go wrong if the person doing it does not understand what they are doing. I've tested many homes that had to have the systems re-done because the radon levels did not go down.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
If you want a Radon test to pass, just leave a few windows in the house open. Do it at night when no one can see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate