Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,976,768 times

Advertisements

My biggest issue with corner lots is the front yard takes up all the acreage (on front and side of home) while fenced in back yard - where most people spend their outdoor time - is minimized compared to other homes with similar lot sizes. So while the lot is big, it feels quite small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM

502 posts, read 893,772 times
If there really is potential to expand the master into a storage area, consider having someone come out to give a general quote for what it would cost for the work. You could then post it in the master. Even if buyers can see the potential, they may be overestimating the cost to make it happen. If it is a reasonable amount and the house has everything else a buyer wants, it could sway someone.

However, if it would cost $20,000 to make the changes, the buyer might as well spend the extra money and buy up. If that is true, then you are going to have to lower the price to reflect the "potential". It has to be worth it to the buyer to want your house above all others.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,427,829 times
The mortgage rate just shot up and institutional investors are backing off. Sell it.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 AM

994 posts, read 1,536,933 times
Our yard is actually quite private in the back. The backyard is large, level/flat and completely fenced with a privacy fence. You can sunbathe back there or sit in the hot tub, and no one nearby would be any the wiser that you were back there! Our feedback has actually contained compliments about the beauty of the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
My biggest issue with corner lots is the front yard takes up all the acreage (on front and side of home) while fenced in back yard - where most people spend their outdoor time - is minimized compared to other homes with similar lot sizes. So while the lot is big, it feels quite small.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:25 AM

994 posts, read 1,536,933 times
We've considered that but decided against it for the very reason you mention: it could seem like a major expense and undertaking that doesn't ultimately work in our favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
If there really is potential to expand the master into a storage area, consider having someone come out to give a general quote for what it would cost for the work. You could then post it in the master. Even if buyers can see the potential, they may be overestimating the cost to make it happen. If it is a reasonable amount and the house has everything else a buyer wants, it could sway someone.

However, if it would cost $20,000 to make the changes, the buyer might as well spend the extra money and buy up. If that is true, then you are going to have to lower the price to reflect the "potential". It has to be worth it to the buyer to want your house above all others.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:32 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
We've considered that but decided against it for the very reason you mention: it could seem like a major expense and undertaking that doesn't ultimately work in our favor.
I agree. I would see it as a sign of desperation. As a buyer, I also would prefer to have my own contractor's word on what those costs would be anyway.

Just make sure your property is perfect and relax your deadline. I have set an artificial deadline before as well, and all it really does is add to YOUR stress level. Selling a house is stressful enough.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The mortgage rate just shot up and institutional investors are backing off. Sell it.
WTF??

Interest Rate Forecast: 2013-2014 - Forbes

Old 05-30-2013, 05:38 AM

9,350 posts, read 14,010,665 times
I agree with you, hautemomma, that lowering the price will not necessarily convince someone to buy a property if they strongly dislike something. If I dislike busy roads because my children are undisciplined and will run into the road, even if the house is reduced 50% I would not take the risk. If I hate having to mow the front yard with folks driving by, or if I have been thoroughly convinced by HGTV that I need a huge master bedroom in order to be a happy person, then dropping the price will not convince me.

OTOH if you and your realtor have set a fair price and the home shows well, then just wait. Your time will come, when the right person comes through your front door. Anyhow, that's my philosophy.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 AM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
You said the flood didn't affect you but then say your yard flooded and you got water in the basement. That's a BIG problem and I'm guessing it has to be disclosed. Are you carrying flood insurance because you have to or want to? If you HAVE to, that is another turnoff.

You're going to have to lower the price more than you'd like with these factors....no one believes in 500 year floods anymore.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:58 AM

8,076 posts, read 10,035,259 times
You need time...the first gaggle of people who came through are just the lookers. They go to every new listing, make some critical comments like they have a sincere interest, and then they are off to the next house. Just nosey folks who have no intnetion of buying anything.

After a month or so, see where you are. Listen to the sincere buyers. Make sure your realtor is screening out the tiure kickers.

Quite honestly, your home sounds fine. Keep it clean and well presented. Be available to show it on reasonable notice. If there is no buyer after a couple of months, examine the price. Y9u can only do what you can reasonably do. Forget about remodeling and anything other than cosmetic stuff....fresh paint, pristine lawn and gardens...make it pop where you can.

Beyond that, it just takes time. Don't stress it. The house will sell when it sells. Come july or so you have to re-evaluate what to do about junior and the new school. A mid season change...like after the Christams holiday, is not the worst thing in the world. Kids are flexible and dynamic (unlike us old folks!).

Good luck. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate