Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM

194 posts, read 329,679 times

Advertisements

My home in Maryland, Colorado had basements. My parents home in CA, in fact, none of the house I've seen in CA have basements. Just curious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
I live in Florida and haven't come across a home here with a basement either. In NJ where I am originally from it all depended upon the location of the property and the water level. Maybe Florida and CA don't because of the soil?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,753,241 times
A lot has to do with local trends.

Part of the reason in northern state you see a lot of basements is because it freezes in the winter. You have to put your foundation footings below the frost line which means they go down 4 or 5 feet. It's little extra expense to dig out the soil and put in a basement.

In CA, the footings are shallower since the ground doesn't freeze so it's not as cost effective to put in a basement.

More generally, most Californians I know hate basements and think they are creepy, while people in the north seem to like them more.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
The water table is the most common reason in some areas.
Here in Colorado basements are popular. But not all homes are built with basements. Again in some areas it's due to the soil - but it's also a matter of price point, too.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Basements are rare in Oklahoma due to several reasons. First of all bedrock is pretty shallow. I recall putting in an oil change pit once where we had to jackhammer out the rock so we could get a 6' deep hole in the ground. Other places the water table is really high and sump pumps would have to run continuously. And the "frost line" is less than two feet deep. Why dig a hole when all you have to do is run a ditchwitch for a footing?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
In my area, most homes have basements. a basements was an options in some developments and some original owners opted out of the basement or went with a partial and crawl space to save money.

Homes without basements are challenging to sell in my area and do so at a substantial discount to a home, with a basement.

I once read that more than half of single family homes in the U.S. did not have basements. It's a regional thing.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I think basements were popular in the NE because of frostline considerations back in the days when the technology (or lack thereof) made it necessary to get the foundation below the frostline. Even in parts of CA where there are cold temperatures and resulting frost lines (above 4000' elevation), the frostline is rarely deeper than 18 inches. At that elevation and higher there is usually an insulating layer of snow. We also don't have the need to have a place to escape from tornados, although I'll grant you the earthquake situation

Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
In Oregon the only homes with basements are older homes (ie 1900's) where the basements were used for storage of food before fridges, and we have many daylight basements on homes with slopes.

Otherwise it is too expensive to dig and pour all that concrete and our water table/moisture out here is too high that many of our basements would have continually running sumps pumps. Basement "seepage" where water literally eeks through the walls of the basement is really common. It makes many basements useless for storage unless you want fuzzy mold and mildew growing on things.

We do have some dry basements, and you can always tell by the smell.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Between NC and SC, I know of one or two houses that have basements. One in particular is my uncle's house, which sits on a little hill, being the highest elevation in the county.

Here at the coast, if you dig a few feet, you reach water. Not good conditions for a basement I suppose.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
In WI, basements are a given and have been forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate