Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:15 PM

83 posts, read 482,325 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Not sure if it's a big deal, but I am worried. My place went under contract 2 days ago and my Realtor told me she would let me know when the inspection is so I can be prepared.

When I came home today, I found that someone has entered my place earlier. After checking things out, I realized the buyer must have been here with his Realtor/inspector for the inspection. I am very upset about this. I left everything out because I was doing laundry, so my place was a mess. I just came back from a trip so I had other things all over the place as well. I am very embarrassed about this and not sure what they probably thought when they saw the place.

Can the buyer just show up to do an inspection without my acknowledgement? I kept my place so clean most of the time and today was the only day it's messy since the place was on the market. I know there is nothing I could do now. The "damages", if any, are already done. I am just surprised that I wasn't notified at all. Anyone with this experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM

8,524 posts, read 13,896,762 times
Have you talked to your agent? Did they know about the inspection happening? People should not be entering your home without your permission for any reason.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,342,424 times
You are positive the other agent and buyer were in the house? How did they get in, is the lockbox still on the door?

However, seeing a "mess" certainly isn't grounds to cancel a contract based on the inspection contingency. Let your agent get to the bottom of things and try to relax.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:07 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
That seems out of line. I imagine proper notice has to be given anytime someone is entering your house. Be it a showing, inspection/etc.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,136,806 times
I think you are over reacting. First of all a buyer visiting the home with their agent is not an inspection. Many buyers want to return to measure rooms, visit the neighbors or bring a friend or love one to see their new home. While they should be more courteous and let you know in advance, I doubt there were any sinister intentions. Simply ask your agent to let the buyer's agent know you would appreciate a heads up as you still live in the home. Some people are just impolite and they need to be told they are being impolite.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:25 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,874,166 times
whenever I get a home under contract, the key is removed from the electronic lockbox and is placed into a combo box, that only myself and the owner know the code to. once it is time for the inspection, the code is given to the agent/inspector. once inspection is completed, key is either removed or code is changed until the next need for access, be it appraiser, inspector for followup, contractor, or termite inspector.

should, at any point, I feel the code need to be changed, it gets changed.. nothing worse than finding an empty lockbox, be it electronic or combo, with no key. happened recently, causing us to change the front door locks last minute just to play it safe..

I definitely look too far into things, but with clients with newborn babies, large dogs, guns, etc.. I'd rather a slight inconvenience from time to time to arrange key access..

JL1010, IMO, you should have been informed prior to anyone accessing. I imagine there was no negative reasoning for it.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL2010 View Post
Hi,

Not sure if it's a big deal, but I am worried. My place went under contract 2 days ago and my Realtor told me she would let me know when the inspection is so I can be prepared.

When I came home today, I found that someone has entered my place earlier. After checking things out, I realized the buyer must have been here with his Realtor/inspector for the inspection. I am very upset about this. I left everything out because I was doing laundry, so my place was a mess. I just came back from a trip so I had other things all over the place as well. I am very embarrassed about this and not sure what they probably thought when they saw the place.

Can the buyer just show up to do an inspection without my acknowledgement? I kept my place so clean most of the time and today was the only day it's messy since the place was on the market. I know there is nothing I could do now. The "damages", if any, are already done. I am just surprised that I wasn't notified at all. Anyone with this experience?
I think they got the code from someone likely your agent. But inspections have more to do with find structural problems; really.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
What made you think someone had come in??

Contract or not, NO ONE should enter your home without your permission.

Just ask your agent to check.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:07 AM

83 posts, read 482,325 times
My agent was not notified. One of My lights was on and my dishwasher, washer and dried showed that they were used (they showed done) when I returned home.

There is a lockbox outside. The house is already under contract so I know no one was showing the place. Not to mention the evidence that it was an inspection.

I know the inpection is more for issues with the place, but having personal items laying all over the place while strangers were in there just doesn't look good

But what's done is done, it's not like I can force him to buy if he doesn't want to.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 AM

8,524 posts, read 13,896,762 times
As others have said already, it's not a huge issue that your house wasn't cleaned up for the inspection. Ideally, you'd like to have your home "show ready" anytime the buyer sees it so as not to take the shine off the apple so to speak. However, the inspector is not going to put it in their report if you left a dirty t-shirt on the floor and dirty dishes in the sink.

On a personal level, you must feel to some degree that your privacy was violated. It sounds like your agent knew they were coming and if that's the case it was your agent who dropped the ball. I would give them a call have some stern words with them because just giving access to your home without giving you notice is completely inappropriate in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
whenever I get a home under contract, the key is removed from the electronic lockbox and is placed into a combo box, that only myself and the owner know the code to. once it is time for the inspection, the code is given to the agent/inspector. once inspection is completed, key is either removed or code is changed until the next need for access, be it appraiser, inspector for followup, contractor, or termite inspector.

should, at any point, I feel the code need to be changed, it gets changed.. nothing worse than finding an empty lockbox, be it electronic or combo, with no key. happened recently, causing us to change the front door locks last minute just to play it safe..

I definitely look too far into things, but with clients with newborn babies, large dogs, guns, etc.. I'd rather a slight inconvenience from time to time to arrange key access..

JL1010, IMO, you should have been informed prior to anyone accessing. I imagine there was no negative reasoning for it.
I'll go you one better . . . from the moment I take a listing I hold on to the key. It's never given to anyone else. It's never left on the property where someone can find it. It's never put in a lockbox that someone can smash and gain access to (not all are easy to break into but some are). Basically, no one gains access to the house without my permission and without my presence and I always notify my client that we are going to be in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate