Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:40 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times

Advertisements

our house is in San Diego County; we put the house on the market in October; we have had lots of lookers but no offers; everyone likes the house--realtors are VERY complimentary about how well it shows. Some of the lookers don't qualify; but others choose another house we were in the top two or three. We listed at a pretty steep loss over what we paid 4 years ago and made a substantial reduction to that asking price. I am discouraged--but since we are trying to move to the North East.....well maybe So Cal isnt a bad place to be for the winter. What ever will be will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnes View Post
We've been on the market in South Florida since June - just renewed our listing with our realtor. Six walk-throughs in six months, no offers. Very little has sold in our neighborhood, and there is a lot to choose from.
oh my agnes! We have had much much more action! About 20 walk thrus and even a couple of "come back for another look" . I am so tired of living in a house that is on the market.....I am not even decorating for xmas!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM

473 posts, read 1,736,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Yes, you should.
Without a contract, how are you informed & assured of the responsibilities the marketing agent is accepting? How do you know what they will be doing to get your place sold? How does the marketing agent know what he will be getting paid, and under what circumstances? Where did you agree to an MLS coop fee?
All these thigs & more should be spelled out, explained, and agreed to, in writing. Is it possible you signed something and forgot about it? with so much happening electronically these days, maybe you "signed" a document digitally, by virtue of clicking yes & sending it back? It would be odd indeed for there to be no listing contract.
Bill,

No I am OCD over things like this. I remember what I sign and I file it away for safekeeping. I was actually waiting to sign something when the listing coordinator came to put sign in ground. But nothing.. not one document to sign. I think she goofed and I just emailed my agent about this. And no there was no digital stuff where I accepted.. I had a live agent come over and do all the talking. He didn't even mention a contract. But I do think he would have since our buyer's agent from the same agency had one for us to sign for her services. (nothing to do with the listing agreement.. I know that for sure.. reread it to be 120% sure)

I am waiting his reply to see what is going on. Its for everyone's protection to have this in writing. I don't want any surprises. If he did in fact make a booboo and things are on there that I am not happy with I guess I reserve the right to just say BUH BYE then.. huh? I don't want to .. starting over is a pain but I have to be careful.

Thanks
Linda

Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 PM

73 posts, read 148,183 times
Default how long has your property been on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Just wanted to do a wuick poll. SInce I don't know how to do a poll question, I thought I would just ask.
I will go first:
3 months with first realtor
2 months with second.
Anyone know the ave day on market for PA homes? (Still hoping this last couple takes the plunge! )
I have read several of the replies here. It is sad how difficult it is to sell a property in todays market. It takes above and beyond the normal type of amrketing a home to get it out there so as many buyers as you can reach will be reached, in fact. Not every one wants to use the realtor.com site or other popular ones. It's important also to realize it isn't always the listing agent problem for a property to not sell. There is a slow market with lots of inventory and buyers are very tech savvy and know what they want. It isn't a great time to sell if you don't have to. For those who do then make sure to have a realtor with experience and has a way to market beyond the average.
Good luck,
sue from maine

Old 12-12-2007, 09:30 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You're technically correct Brandon, but I'm just telling you from personal experience what several realtors I've experienced have done. They came in w/their presentation and basically "told" me to list at a certain price.

Please stop w/the CYA stuff.....You know what I mean. God, this is what I can't stand.....Realtors are not robots and many work "outside" the framework of the technicalities that you are supposed to adhear too.

IF the pricing was AGGRESSIVE from the beginning, and priced ahead of the curve it would've sold alot earlier and the seller would'nt have taken such a bath. THAT'S the point.
I wasn't there so I won't try to assume what happened or who wanted what price. There are good and bad Realtors out there but I can only speak for myself. I don't take listing that I know are overpriced, nor have ever determined an asking price for my sellers. I discuss pricing strategy and present comps, then give a suggested range. The range takes into account the market and pricing ahead of the curve in steady or downward market. I have missed the price before, but can tell within 30 days when I have. Any good agent should be able to know after a month when they were wrong about price.

I do agree with you that some agents cannot properly interpret data or either buy listings, but those are the ones who won't be here long term. The biggest problem, IMO, are sellers/buyers that think all agents are the same and don't meet multiple agents. I would also prefer more stringent requirements to have a RE license but that's a whole other topic. It all goes back to training. Some get it and apply it, some don't.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Wow, that appraisal is really accurate....

Your realtor was at fault for not pricing ahead of the curve. (Unless you forbid him/her to do it...)

If you would've been more aggressive from the start (listing for say $300 or so from the getgo) you know you wouldn't have lost as much.......

thanks for sharing a much too common example.
We have always been priced..(our choice not the Realtor's) ahead of the curve!! We have been priced at least $25,000 under since February, and constantly did so... Why are you rolling your eyes??

Comps in the area were between $425-$375 when we listed... we listed @ $350!

MBG

Old 12-16-2007, 04:15 PM

3,340 posts, read 2,829,511 times
Our house has been on the market since August with about 14 showings and 3 second showings. We turned one offer down in the first couple of weeks due to a contingency clause regarding the sale of their property. Lots of compliments, but no offers since. We are priced comparably to others for sale in our area but nothing is moving right now. I contacted our agent Monday about adjusting the price, but have yet to receive a response. We live in Maine and activity historically drops off this time of year in an active market, but we are hoping a price reduction will help. We don't HAVE to sell right now but are making plans to leave the state, so all is in limbo until then. I feel for those who have transferred due to jobs and are now stuck with 2 mortgages or rent and mortgage. Stay positive and let's hope spring brings a turn around or at least some movement!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM

28 posts, read 104,231 times
test...test

Old 12-17-2007, 04:41 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
2 years

Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM

73 posts, read 148,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
our house is in San Diego County; we put the house on the market in October; we have had lots of lookers but no offers; everyone likes the house--realtors are VERY complimentary about how well it shows. Some of the lookers don't qualify; but others choose another house we were in the top two or three. We listed at a pretty steep loss over what we paid 4 years ago and made a substantial reduction to that asking price. I am discouraged--but since we are trying to move to the North East.....well maybe So Cal isnt a bad place to be for the winter. What ever will be will be.
we just had a snow storm in Maine. I think I wouldn't mind being in your neck of the woods. There is about a foot of snow on the ground and the reports today said we will have more this weekend.
Sorry about all the people walking through your home. At least you have people coming to look at it. That is good.
sue from maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate