Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcfarmlady View Post
I did not ask for blunt advice, I was merely responding to the OP. We purchased the land in KY two years ago with the plan to build and move there. We will not cancel the construction in KY... we are not willing to wait any longer to get out of here. YES we KNOW we will have to lower the price and as of right now we still have about 50K that we can go down. We have an alternate plan if we don't sell by the time the new place is ready. It's not the best plan, BUT we will do what we have to do to avoid financial ruin. We are not young and stupid, we are well educated individuals with good income here in Florida and feel we have made the best decision for this time in our lives. Since I work from home I will continue with my current job and just do it from KY. My husband would be leaving his job ... if we don't sell by the time the new house is ready he will be staying here to keep that job until the house is sold. Like I said, it's not the best plan, but it is a plan.
We all have to play the cards we're delt and it sounds like you're doing the best you can with what you have. I give credit at least you have a plan! Quite a few people don't and really get in a pickle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 07:48 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,190 times
lorriem,
One point to consider with regard to the "80's agent" is the use of (and understanding of technology).
I understand your point with regard to their experience in this type of market and how to adapt, but in our market today the psychology of the buyers is so totally different than it was in the 80's. Realtors controlled the access to the information (the MLS was only accessible to brokers)...now its out there on the Internet for everyone.

Your best bet is to check out the websites of the REALTORS you are considering; do they offer lots of search options, will they attract buyers, are they techno-savvy in the way they are set up (check the "page rank" on the Google tool bar). When you are interviewing agents ASK them how they use technology, and how they'll use it to market YOUR home.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
I did not ask for blunt advice, I was merely responding to the OP. We purchased the land in KY two years ago with the plan to build and move there. We will not cancel the construction in KY... we are not willing to wait any longer to get out of here. YES we KNOW we will have to lower the price and as of right now we still have about 50K that we can go down. We have an alternate plan if we don't sell by the time the new place is ready. It's not the best plan, BUT we will do what we have to do to avoid financial ruin. We are not young and stupid, we are well educated individuals with good income here in Florida and feel we have made the best decision for this time in our lives. Since I work from home I will continue with my current job and just do it from KY. My husband would be leaving his job ... if we don't sell by the time the new house is ready he will be staying here to keep that job until the house is sold. Like I said, it's not the best plan, but it is a plan.

Do what your gut tells you to do it is not often wrong and you have a plan.We are in NC this weekend closing on this home and tomorrow we will be going back to our FL home that is not sold yet.We also have a plan but I am not staying behind.We will move here in Feb and if our FL home does not sell we will rent it and if it doesn't rent we have three years worth of mortgage payments set aside plus we can go down in our asking price also. Hubby understands that now.Things do work out and we are not young either. We did the same thing in the late 70's and it worked out. Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Hey, no need to be thin skinned about things. Fine, if you are dead set on moving no matter what the financial costs, then go for it.

Most likely you will not sell within 4-5 months (because you can only lower 50K max). You do understand that it could be years before the market picks up again where you are (FL), right? You said in your post you are hoping a potential buyer could realize what you've done to your house (you've had no serious offers for months, correct?). That doesn't sound like an "educated plan" to me, just more like hoping for a miracle.

Since you are well aware that its your CHOICE to go on this extremely risky path to financial ruin (You DO have time and you CAN stop building and make sure your finances are taken care of first, right?), please don't come back looking for sympathy if things don't work out. (Which I think most reasonable people here would agree it probably won't considering the circumstances w/your market).

Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We all have to play the cards we're delt and it sounds like you're doing the best you can with what you have. I give credit at least you have a plan! Quite a few people don't and really get in a pickle.
Is she really doing the best she can with what she has? If she doesn't go ahead and build, most likely it will save her family from financial ruin.

I don't know if I agree w/you on this one Jim.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
We have to sell and the only way we will be able to to it is to get a realtor that has gone through this type of market before like in the late 80's early 90's and PRICE,PRICE and did I say PRICE..We are going to close on a home in NC FRI. and it is worth now$6,000 more than we are paying for it. So that is the good news. Worst case we have a summer home and a winter home.lol
That's bad advice. The 90's agent may have been part time then and part time now where they never had to succeed to keep an active license. That 80's/90's agent may be out of touch with today technology and not as good as marketing as some of the more tech inclined people. I'm not saying that agent won't be good, I'm just saying don't limit yourself.

Many of the best agents are under 30. CB's #2 agent in the world just turned 30. Keller Williams #3 is 29. One of Oregon's most innovative Realtors is 28. ERA's #1 agent has only been practicing since the mid-90's.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:20 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That's bad advice. The 90's agent may have been part time then and part time now where they never had to succeed to keep an active license. That 80's/90's agent may be out of touch with today technology and not as good as marketing as some of the more tech inclined people. I'm not saying that agent won't be good, I'm just saying don't limit yourself.

Many of the best agents are under 30. CB's #2 agent in the world just turned 30. Keller Williams #3 is 29. One of Oregon's most innovative Realtors is 28. ERA's #1 agent has only been practicing since the mid-90's.

How can you tell if you have the right realtor? The one we have now was one of the best in her agency and she is now so befudeled. I find myself giving her ideas on marketing our house. I would really like your advice.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorriem View Post
How can you tell if you have the right realtor? The one we have now was one of the best in her agency and she is now so befudeled. I find myself giving her ideas on marketing our house. I would really like your advice.
You need someone who specializes in listing homes and has a strong internet presence. It doesn't sound encouraging if she's asking you how to market homes. It's about asking the right questions to make sure you hire the right person.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You need someone who specializes in listing homes and has a strong internet presence. It doesn't sound encouraging if she's asking you how to market homes. It's about asking the right questions to make sure you hire the right person.
Brandon
I would agree that a strong internet presence is essential but also some good old fashioned marketing on the ground like House For Sale with directional arrow signs is also useful. I started getting bites on mine after the old fashioned marketing was thrown into the mix.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Brandon
I would agree that a strong internet presence is essential but also some good old fashioned marketing on the ground like House For Sale with directional arrow signs is also useful. I started getting bites on mine after the old fashioned marketing was thrown into the mix.
Did I ever say not to do signs or directional arrows, flyers, etc? I don't recall if I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate