Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a kind of norm depending on the area and the property. Big town or city and lots of fairly regular homes to show and appointments already set up, there's only so long a person can take and the realtor is moving them gently along. It can be a skill. Buyers can take 10 minutes if they don't feel the house is a match, or 20 minutes if they like it pretty well...and then schedule a second look another time for all the homes they liked best.

But if you've got a historic home with not many around for sale, the buyer can even be so intriqued that buyer and seller get into lengthy conversations about the history of the house, the construction, who the original owner was and what he did. Some things the owner may be better at talking about. And since many historic mansions are bought by people from out of town who can travel all over to find their dream historic home the showing can last a couple of hours since the prospective buyer is not staying in town long.

It also depends on the market.

Personally, I don't think people get a good enough feel for a house when they look at it at night. However, that's just me. People can want to see how the house feels when they walk in the door at night after work. But I do like to show my home when it's best features are showing. Seeing blue sky or trees through the skylights. Getting a sense of how the house is carried outside by the glass doors in the living room to the grass. And if you have one of the big ticket views it's really best seen in daylight...like a body of water or mountains or acres of woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
The last 2 weeks I've been out showing clients from 6pm to 9pm. Try to schelude the ones with kids earlier then vacant, bank owed or ones when the sellers they will be home later.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
When potential buyers are making appts for seeing your home, what should be the cut-off time for that day for making an appt?

I know my cut-off, but curious about what time others set as their cut-off.
Ours was 24/7. Buy it and pay us.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:24 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
The latest we were asked to show our house was 7:00 - being in a desirable suburb within a very easy commute to NYC we expected evening showings but we only got a couple. I would have been willing to show the house, even with young kids, up till 8:30 or so...like accufit said, "buy it and pay us".

As far as notice, we spent the two weeks it was on the market cleaning it and picking up constantly, so even with 3 little kids it wasn't much of a problem to get out quick. Usually one of us would corral the kids and the other would do a sweep to make sure things were in order.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Thanks for the replies. It's interesting to see what everyone thinks.

What about the length of time to give them to look at the house? I would think an hour would be sufficient.
We were told to allow about 2 hours. If they are still there after 2 hours are up, it might be a good sign.

I think you allow 2 hours because they buyers might be looking at multiple houses, and might be a little late getting to yours.

You can ask for an hour's notice, but I wouldn't rule out something if you really want to sell your house. If you keep Saturday or Sunday as holy, and don't want one of those days disturbed, you can ask to not show your house on one of those days. We had that happen when we were looking.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
When I was selling I don't think I ever got anything but one hour windows. I was never asked up front what I wanted so I assume this was just the standard.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Question: Do the buyers hang around when the sellers and their agent show the house? I thought that was a "no, no". Just wondered...............

Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Question: Do the buyers hang around when the sellers and their agent show the house? I thought that was a "no, no". Just wondered...............
I think that is a universal no no.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:15 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
I won't show after dark. Period. Not safe, and buyers can't really see the exterior/yard so they end up coming back during the daylight hours anyway.

Most sellers say no showings before 9 or after 7. It's totally up to them. If people can't get there during those times, they aren't really serious about buying a house. If they are serious, they will take some time off or go during lunch or right after work.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
I won't show after dark. Period. Not safe, and buyers can't really see the exterior/yard so they end up coming back during the daylight hours anyway.

Most sellers say no showings before 9 or after 7. It's totally up to them. If people can't get there during those times, they aren't really serious about buying a house. If they are serious, they will take some time off or go during lunch or right after work.
That's how I feel. I will not show if dark outside. I won't make an appt from 8-9pm which is what someone was asking to see the house yesterday. They did reschedule for 6pm today though.

I've also got someone looking at the house today at 9am. I would definitely not go any earlier than that.

Last time I tried selling my house it was during the winter, I wouldn't show after 6pm only because that's about the time it started getting dark.

Yep, if people are really wanting to see the house, they will find the time and run over during lunch or after work.

Yesterday I also had someone requesting to see the house from 2pm-3:30. I was ok with that but I would not be ok if someone wanted a 2 hour block of time. That's just inconsiderate especially on a weekend....kind of reminds me of the cable company. They tell you they will be by anytime from 2-5 so you never know when to take off work. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate