Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM

10,086 posts, read 7,761,924 times

Advertisements

My home was listed as 3 bedroom when I bought it.

The 3rd bedroom is actually a loft area with a closet and it has a window but it's not an enclosed area with a door and it overlooks downstairs. My home is 1 1/2 stories and the loft is the only room upstairs. Technically since it has a closet, I believe we could get by with calling it a 3rd bedroom but I'm thinking in the comments we should let people know that it's a loft w/closet that could be used as a office, playroom, etc.

My realtor has also listed it as a 3 bedroom home.

I just don't want people coming to look at my home expecting a 'real' 3rd bedroom when it's a loft. That's wasting my time and their time in coming to look at it.

I think though for single people or those not needing a 3rd bedroom it would be a great extra area.

Would you just call it a 2 bedroom home? What type comments then would you make about the room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I think if you just say in the description that the loft is the third bedroom you would be fine. Between that and pictures I don't think you would be misleading people. The problem with calling it a 2 bedroom is most people are going to set their search criteria on # of bedrooms. So they won't even have the chance to make the decision.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
The 3rd bedroom is actually a loft area with a closet and it has a window
but it's not an enclosed area with a door and it overlooks downstairs.
My realtor has also listed it as a 3 bedroom home.
It's not a bedroom even if you didn't care or know any better before.
And even if your realtor is willing to go along with the prior subterfuge.

It's a two bedROOM with a loft.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to suggest this to my realtor. I think people need to know the situation before coming to look at it. Like I said, it's wasting my time and their time if all they will do is walk right back out after seeing it's not a true bedroom.

Today I got feedback and they wrote that it wasn't a 'true' bedroom.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
One other thought, you could call it a bonus room that can be converted to a bedroom. Calling it a loft may appeal more to some potential buyers though.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Does the tax records consider your home a 3 bedroom ?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Well when looking online at the county real property listings, it has my home listed as 3 bedrooms.

I like the idea of listing it as 3 bedrooms and then explaining in the comments that the 3rd bedroom is a loft then they can make their own decision. You would think when they look at my pics, they could tell it's a loft but evidently not. Maybe I need to take a better pic of that room.

When I was looking for a home I wanted 3 bedrooms but I had planned on using one as an office anyway so the loft area worked out great for me. I may not have found the home if like manderly6 said, it was listed as 2 bedroom and I had put 3 bedroom in the criteria.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:32 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm going to suggest this to my realtor. I think people need to know the situation before coming to look at it. Like I said, it's wasting my time and their time if all they will do is walk right back out after seeing it's not a true bedroom.

Today I got feedback and they wrote that it wasn't a 'true' bedroom.
We had the same issues with a FROG over the garage. As it "could" be a bedroom, we were advised to count it as such in the basic listing so we listed as 4 bedrooms.

The problem is many use a search engine and it is either black or white on a search engine. I say as it "could" be a bedroom, list it as such. Maybe in the description one could amplify on the 3rd bedroom being a loft/bedroom and has been used as both. Comments such as an ideal location for a home office work well.

Better someone came through, looked, and "commented" versus no one came through.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:34 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
We had the same issues with a FROG over the garage. As it "could" be a bedroom, we were advised to count it as such in the basic listing so we listed as 4 bedrooms.

The problem is many use a search engine and it is either black or white on a search engine. I say as it "could" be a bedroom, list it as such. Maybe in the description one could amplify on the 3rd bedroom being a loft/bedroom and has been used as both.

Better someone came through, looked, and "commented" versus no one came through.
I agree. If the tax records show it as a 3 bedroom, I would list it that way with an explanation.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Well when looking online at the county real property listings, it has my home listed as 3 bedrooms.
Really? Then you're paying too much in taxes as well.
To be a room (bed or bonus) it must have a door.

To be a bedroom it must also have a closet AND be on the same level as a bathroom.
No door? No closet? No toilet on that level? It isn't a bedroom.

Quote:
I like the idea of listing it as 3 bedrooms and then explaining in the comments...
It would certainly get you more views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate