Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

Realtors get a commission for helping their clients buy or sell a home/property.

What if a client has a house on the market for 6 months or longer and ends up taking it off the market? Do they give you a gift for your help and troubles? Do they pay you anything? How does that work?

And of the course the same question if you spend a lot of time helping someone find a home and then they decide to just wait after looking at many homes for a good amount of time? You've used your gas to drive them all over the area and spent lots of time with them.

Is that just part of the job and you don't expect to be compensated for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Realtors get a commission for helping their clients buy or sell a home/property.

What if a client has a house on the market for 6 months or longer and ends up taking it off the market? Do they give you a gift for your help and troubles? Do they pay you anything? How does that work?

And of the course the same question if you spend a lot of time helping someone find a home and then they decide to just wait after looking at many homes for a good amount of time? You've used your gas to drive them all over the area and spent lots of time with them.

Is that just part of the job and you don't expect to be compensated for?
The completed deals subsidize the uncompleted deals.
"Gifts" are something given from the heart, never as compensation and never expected by the recipient.
Successful agents limit their lost time, while still offering great service.
But, it is always best when the final outcome satisfies the client, even if that means no sale.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:58 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Thanks Mike. That makes sense.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Why would you give someone a gift who failed to do what you hired them to do?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Why would you give someone a gift who failed to do what you hired them to do?
Many sellers make it difficult to sell their home. It can be a failure of all the parties.

But yes, no gift should be expected by the agent.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Agents don't expect a gift, but if a client wants to show appreciation to an agent, a gift is a nice way to do it. When I was actively selling real estate, I occasionally received gifts from clients.

Ironically, the most amazing gift I ever received was from a client whose house I had listed but did not sell (they had a serious life event and had to take it off the market). They gave me a violin, of all things! It's beautiful.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 PM

33 posts, read 37,256 times
Even not buying any property, I voluntarily gave $1000 to a buyer agent for his 2 months work, though not all of his works are satisfactory. I did same two years ago.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
We had our house listed for sale for a year in the middle of the real estate slump. Took it off the market over the Christmas holidays then relisted with a different realtor. Our original realtor brought our eventual buyer. She was up the street showing them a 4 bedroom and realized our 3 bedroom with a bonus room/office would fit their needs so she brought them down to our house. I was happy she made some money on it.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
We bought our current house through our current realtor and will sell through the same realtor. We are in no particular rush to buy another (bigger ) home but have had our realtor show us a few homes. I feel bad for taking up her time but assume she will get paid (through us) eventually when we go to buy and then sell. She is very patient with us and we try to be respectful of her time. We can't really get a feel for a home without seeing it. So we will often dwell on a home, but when we go to see it, we rule it out right away.

We did once look for homes through a realtor in an area and then decide the entire area was not for us. We were younger and all we really gave was a sincere thank you but I do feel bad for in the end, wasting her time.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
The best gift a realtor can receive is a referral to a new client.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate