Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times

Advertisements

1% is typical here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 01:05 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
In this area (varies a bit in different parts of the state), buyers typically put down $1K when the offer is accepted. When we sign the Purchase & Sale contract the deposit is generally increased to 5% of the purchase price. Recently, because the market has been so competitive, many buyers have started committing to larger deposits like 10% of the sales price in order to increase the attractiveness of their offer and stand out amongst all the other offers the seller has received. So, in a town like mine where the median sale price this year has jumped to about $790K the average deposit is between $39,500 and $79,000.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
As a buyer I never put down more than $1,000. Although I have angered many people, I've never been turned down.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Here's the deal with earnest money - it's applied to the buyer's side at closing anyway, so the only time you lose is if you break the contract. In Texas we have an option period - can be anywhere from say, five days to two weeks or even longer in a few cases. The buyer "buys the option period" for a fee of $100. During that option period, the buyer can cancel the contract for any reason. I mean, the buyer can call up the agent and say, "The angel Gabriel came to me in a dream last night and told me not to buy this house," and the only thing the buyer forfeits is the option fee of $100. They get the earnest money back.

During the option period, the buyer gets the home inspections done and all that jive. THAT'S the time that you find out more about the condition of the house, and that's the time you need to back out, in the typical case, or renegotiate the terms.

I never put down earnest money on a house I don't intend to buy anyway, and the earnest money goes toward my end of the deal at closing, so I always put down an amount that's large enough to really get the seller's attention and let them know that I am serious and willing to put my money where my mouth is!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:52 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I've lived all over the country, and have seen a range in what is normal or traditional for earnest money in different markets.

What's the normal in your local market?

Mine is 3% (minimum) of the offered price.
I usually recommend 1% of the sale price.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM

3 posts, read 8,662 times
The norm for my area is $500 for houses under 100k, and $1000 for houses over 100k.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
As a buyer I never put down more than $1,000. Although I have angered many people, I've never been turned down.
Have you ever purchased a home in a multiple offer situation?

Around here, I can assure you no one would take your offer seriously. The market in this area even in lean times moves fast enough that 99% of sellers would prefer to wait for the next offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I never put down earnest money on a house I don't intend to buy anyway, and the earnest money goes toward my end of the deal at closing, so I always put down an amount that's large enough to really get the seller's attention and let them know that I am serious and willing to put my money where my mouth is!
I think Kathryn sums up the whole thing right nicely here. If you're serious about buying the house, does it really matter how much deposit you put down?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If you're serious about buying the house..
does it really matter how much deposit you put down?
If you're really qualified to buy at the agreed price...

Old 08-04-2013, 04:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you're really qualified to buy at the agreed price...
You may know you're qualified, but the seller doesn't know it at the time of the offer. Especially in multiple offer situations, or in a fast moving market, I think a generous earnest money amount sends the message, "We're liquid and ready to roll!"

I wouldn't ever put in an offer without a prequalification letter from my lender and a generous amount of earnest money. But then, I don't make offers on houses I'm not dead serious about, and I'm not trying to squeak into something with zero down and asking the sellers to pick up the closing costs either!

I want my offer to shine compared to the others.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:58 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You may know you're qualified, but the seller doesn't know it at the time of the offer. Especially in multiple offer situations, or in a fast moving market, I think a generous earnest money amount sends the message, "We're liquid and ready to roll!"

I wouldn't ever put in an offer without a prequalification letter from my lender and a generous amount of earnest money. But then, I don't make offers on houses I'm not dead serious about, and I'm not trying to squeak into something with zero down and asking the sellers to pick up the closing costs either!

I want my offer to shine compared to the others.
Earnest money is so easy to protect in NC, it is really just flashing cash, more than real skin in the game, unless something goes badly wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate