Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 PM

9 posts, read 13,082 times

Advertisements

Haha, I was prepared for a disaster! I've seen 1,700 square foot homes that held over 2 30 yard dumpsters worth of clutter and crap.

Looks like everything has been covered already, and I'd like to add that the house looks VERY modern and updated, so I might suggest the brass ceiling fan in one of the pics looks a bit dated and it might be worth the money to buy a nice new one in white or brushed nickel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I agree with the consensus --- was expecting something much more "extreme". I have seen places with the full-on "cabin theme" with enough antlers to fill up the Smithsonian National Museum...

That one divan looks very Victorian not really in an eclectic or "great grand mother Eunice's precious heirloom way" more in a HBO Cathouse sort of way. I would give some though to that...

Not sure I would buy a new fan but I agree that brass looks dated. Similarly I don't think it would be a stretch to call black appliances less desirable than other colors / finishes...

Local real estate agents will help you understand if you are more likely to capture move-up buyers who maybe will have their own ideas about things like appliances or if you need to target first time buyers looking for "move in ready"...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:19 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,643,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I also live in a suburb of a Southern city, and it always amazes me how many buyers CANNOT look past decor.

Your decor does need to be as neutral as possible so that they notice the HOUSE and features that make them want to buy it.

If you haven't sold in 16 years, be prepared for a generation of buyers who have been ruined by HGTV. They will expect your home to look like it's just been remodeled on one of their shows. They will not be happy with appliances that are less than 5 years old, etc. Most expect a dream house.

Remember that they are likely looking at multiple homes, and you don't want yours to be the one they later refer to as "that cluttered log cabin" when they're discussing the list with their agent later. Yes, it's your family home, but to buyers it's just another house on the list.

One thing that helped us the last time we sold our big house we had lived in for 10 years: Our agent took us on a tour of comps so we had a first-hand look at other houses for sale in our price range. It helps you understand where your house stands.

Even paint makes a huge difference. Our neighborhood is 30- to 40-year-old ranch and split-level homes. The location, school system and large, treed lots make it very desirable, and houses usually fly off the market. One split level that languished had a purple-painted kitchen, lime green bathrooms and orange-painted bonus room.

After over 100 DOM, they switched agents, painted the rooms neutral beige, and sold within a week. Same crappy floor plan, but no paint for buyers to have to overlook or factor into their moving budget.

So put yourself in the buyers' position and really look at your "stuff" objectively.
So, using this logic, one should be able to scoop up a badly decorated home for less than nicely decorated ones, and I haven't personally seen this.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,446 times
I think your house is lovely. I was expecting something different too though I can't say exactly what. I tend to like modern with small amounts of antique mixed in. Your home though is very bright and inviting. I would have no problem picturing my own style in this home.
OP it is great you are open to feedback too

Old 08-05-2013, 11:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Oh I have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So, using this logic, one should be able to scoop up a badly decorated home for less than nicely decorated ones, and I haven't personally seen this.
If your definition of badly decorated includes "nothing has been painted / updated / cleaned since before LBJ was President and people smoked filterless cigarettes by the case...

Now if you expect to get a discount in the first few days after listing just because the seller's tastes run toward recreating Versailles instead Ethan Allen that is tougher, but it still does eventually take its toll and if the market time increases ( and it often does) the sellers have decide to "de-personalize" or cut their price...

Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So, using this logic ...
I think you skipped a couple of steps there.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

566 posts, read 1,106,837 times
Just recently I viewed some 2br condos. They were quite alike. Had all the amenities I looked for. Both in the same prices range.

I chose one for the other solely on the amount of work to cover the ORANGE walls in LR/DR and the RED in the master bedroom and dark brown in the bathroom. I don't mind painting, but this would require alot of primer. Then MORE primer. Five coats of paint? No thanks.

The one I chose was beige. Beige walls, beige carpet, white woodwork. Ahhhhh...a blank canvas.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
Just recently I viewed some 2br condos. They were quite alike. Had all the amenities I looked for. Both in the same prices range.

I chose one for the other solely on the amount of work to cover the ORANGE walls in LR/DR and the RED in the master bedroom and dark brown in the bathroom. I don't mind painting, but this would require alot of primer. Then MORE primer. Five coats of paint? No thanks.

The one I chose was beige. Beige walls, beige carpet, white woodwork. Ahhhhh...a blank canvas.
I totally agree that walls and flooring and tile, counter tops, etc should be as neutral as possible when putting a house on the market. I HATE going into a house and seeing all sorts of crazy finishes and paint colors! The first thing I'm thinking is what you were thinking, "Lord help me, look at all the work..." Moving is hard enough without having to paint everything first!

Other people's furnishings don't even register with me when it comes to looking at the bones of a house. And of course, price fixes everything. If a house is well priced and the price gives me wiggle room to paint, change out flooring, etc then that's a whole other story. But two identical homes at the same price - one with "creative" colors and one in neutrals - I'll pick the neutral one every day.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM

92 posts, read 183,405 times
I am usually in he Arizona forum, but stumbled upon this and will share my experience. My family sold our house in Southern California a couple months ago and bought a house in AZ.

We had lived in that house for 17 years...We painted the walls a very neutral cream color, had stainless appliances (we didn't replace them, as they were still pretty current), had very neutral colored tile floors throughout (we have dogs, and didn't want carpet) and had the kitchen cabinets refaced to a pretty and very neutral color...

We sold it in 3 months. The buyers loved that we had all tile flooring, as they themselves had multiple dogs, loved the colors, etc...

We keep in touch with our neighbors in CA...Turns out that the buyers are having the kitchen cabinets redone to a very dark color, had all the tile ripped up and are replacing with carpet, and are having a wall taken down to enlarge a room, LOL

I guess you just never know!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzaman01 View Post
I am usually in he Arizona forum, but stumbled upon this and will share my experience. My family sold our house in Southern California a couple months ago and bought a house in AZ.

We had lived in that house for 17 years...We painted the walls a very neutral cream color, had stainless appliances (we didn't replace them, as they were still pretty current), had very neutral colored tile floors throughout (we have dogs, and didn't want carpet) and had the kitchen cabinets refaced to a pretty and very neutral color...

We sold it in 3 months. The buyers loved that we had all tile flooring, as they themselves had multiple dogs, loved the colors, etc...

We keep in touch with our neighbors in CA...Turns out that the buyers are having the kitchen cabinets redone to a very dark color, had all the tile ripped up and are replacing with carpet, and are having a wall taken down to enlarge a room, LOL

I guess you just never know!
And here's what amazes me - in about five years they'll probably put the place on the market, and the buyers then will expect them to either 1)neutralize all that again, or 2) allow for "updates" in their asking price.

I just started a thread on these expectations and where I think they come from. It's unreal how much money people will spend on "updating" constantly to the very latest trends. I think we're being scammed by HGTV!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate