Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,475 times

Advertisements

When we sold the house before this, we had a neutral paint color, neutral carpet upstairs and medium-tone hardwoods downstairs.

Another house, same model, same age, about the same price, had pink sponge-painted walls throughout the downstairs, (we both had a two-story living room), orange carpet upstairs, and pale wood floors. The bathroom cabinets had been painted in a bright shade of green in the master.

We sold in 5 days for 95% of asking. The other house was on the market for so long it eventually went into foreclosure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I could be eating crow in this weird market, but prior to this venture, I've never had my own home languish on the market for months - they've all sold quickly and for close to list price. Though I do have a unique decorating style (apparently on this forum it's considered by many to be extremely cluttered and "distracting" and apparently makes some people claim to want to run from the room screaming!), I can't say that it's ever been an impediment based on my own personal success in moving my properties as well as others (I was a listing agent for many years in another market).

BUT I've always kept the "bones" of the house VERY neutral. I don't go on wild tangents with finishes, fixtures, or flooring. I think that's been the key to selling quickly.

Now - we'll see how this next endeavor pans out. I think the realtor suggested a selling price that's a bit high, but I'm hoping she's right! I've never sold in this market and it's so fluid and changing right now that I really don't know if the price is too high or not. I guess time will tell!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,475 times
I also notice on the 'home shows' that ordinary buyers tend to way, way over-estimate how much a minor remodel (such as new countertops) cost. I've heard them say things like 'we'll have to rip all this out and it will be $50,000 to re-do'. They don't have a clue as to the actual cost.

Having done a fair bit of remodeling, it's only that expensive if you a) move fixtures, b) go for the highest of high end finishes, c) add on or d) get stuck with a rip-off contractor. All of which should be avoided.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:40 AM

362 posts, read 645,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perdidob View Post
I took photos, keep in mind I have yet to take down personal photos, and I will before we list. My cabin decor will be going into storage or be sold, as will a bunch of my knicknacks. The good news and bad news is we have a vacation home we plan to move to, but it is beach cottage style! I may just have to go the estate sale route to get rid of most of it, my grown kids don't want it.
Bathroom counters will be cleared of everything possible.
I am more concerned here with people being able to see past our style of furniture, it doesn't seen too western or cabin to me but I have been living with it for 16 years!
Please feel free to comment on the need to remove any furniture or it's placement.
And do I have too many houseplants? They are all live plants.
Paint colors too dated?
Our family room is sunken, you step down from the front entry foyer and then step back up into the kitchen. Will this be a turn off for many buyers? Though there is nothing we can do about that I would like to know.
We are going to take down a bunch of the decor from the pub, but the seating booth will remain. We will be happy to leave the pool table with the house if the buyer wants.
The media room has a dinosaur of a TV in it. Should we get rid of it before we list?
We had this house custom built for us 16 years ago, it has two other bedrooms that once our kids grew up and moved out we turned into an exercise room and the other an office of sorts. We will take all that stuff out and place bedroom furniture back in. These rooms are painted a light beige.
I'm putting on my thick skin, thanks for any input!
It is cloudy today and some of the colors are off due to the flash or lack of flash-sorry!
I like your house. I'm in the process of house hunting (Tennessee) and many of the homes I've looked at are similar to yours. I personally prefer a house with a little more designer's touch, but that being said, I can see past your decor and imagine my decorative style.
The pub is a tad bit cluttered (photos are dark too).

I am in the process of getting my home together too. The stager from my real estate's agency gave advice to me on my home. I also posted here on the forums and received feedback that my home was dated. We tried as best as possible to clean, de-clutter, etc.....
I have two rooms with extreme colored walls and was instructed to paint them. We've been working so hard on other areas of our home that painting those two walls just isn't going to happen.

To me, paint is a non issue. It's one of the cheapest updates. Real turn off is ugly ceramic floors, and wall paper. I wouldn't even look at a house that doesn't have an updated kitchen. The expense is too much to re-do a kitchen (just did that myself 4 years ago) and very stressful.

In short I think your home is very nice. Not much to do except de-clutter your pub.

Good luck on selling. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
I happen not to really care. I can see past any personal stuff. I think its all bs. The only thing I don't want is the homeowner there. I know I am looking at someone else's house a d they live there. That said you want the house as depersonalized as you can get it because everyone is so damn squeamish these days

Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,396 times
One of the reasons I was able to get my current house at a good price was the seller's decor. It was very dated looking and blah, and caused the photos on the listing to give the impression of a dreary, dated, dark, unattractive home. The seller had to reduce the price twice before it sold.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:39 PM

79 posts, read 117,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
I like your house. I'm in the process of house hunting (Tennessee) and many of the homes I've looked at are similar to yours. I personally prefer a house with a little more designer's touch, but that being said, I can see past your decor and imagine my decorative style.
The pub is a tad bit cluttered (photos are dark too).

I am in the process of getting my home together too. The stager from my real estate's agency gave advice to me on my home. I also posted here on the forums and received feedback that my home was dated. We tried as best as possible to clean, de-clutter, etc.....
I have two rooms with extreme colored walls and was instructed to paint them. We've been working so hard on other areas of our home that painting those two walls just isn't going to happen.

To me, paint is a non issue. It's one of the cheapest updates. Real turn off is ugly ceramic floors, and wall paper. I wouldn't even look at a house that doesn't have an updated kitchen. The expense is too much to re-do a kitchen (just did that myself 4 years ago) and very stressful.

In short I think your home is very nice. Not much to do except de-clutter your pub.

Good luck on selling. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks, I will be doing major de cluttering, and lots of the pub for sure. Luckily we have a second home we will be moving to and we are slowly boxing it up and moving it. We will list our house in March, I'll be sure to update this post.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We actually bought our current house in spite of atrocious decorating. But we knew it was all cosmetic, and could be fixed. However we did have to spend money to make it livable for us. If your home has neutral walls and carpets, and good quality finishes with little wear, prospective buyers can see themselves moving right in without a lot of difficulty. I think this is probably most important for moderately priced homes on down. People might be stretching just to get into a house, and perhaps don't have money for upgrades right after.

I wouldn't worry about furniture style so much as how it is arranged and whether the walls, carpets and kitchen finishes are neutral and high quality.

I want to wish you success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate