Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:48 AM

600 posts, read 659,589 times

Advertisements

recently petitioned the city for a property tax reassesment, come to find out they overly appraised my house by over $50K. Ive been in the home for just over a year, my taxes next fiscal (starting in September) year will be approx $180.00 cheaper per month.

However, Ive been paying the increased amount for approx 9 months; my mortgage payment went up about 180 dollars after the first 3 months when my mortgage company said they had initally under-estimated the escrow amount and had to make adjustments. I'm assuming they were using the correct market based value initially but changed it once they received the city's assesmnet and tax bill. the reassesmnet window is quite small in my city so I couldn't ask for one until recently.

the question is: how can I retrieve moneys overpaid (almost $1,800)? I'm assuming small claims court is probably the only option. Has anyone ever tried to sue their municipality in small claims court?

any advice would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
There is an appeals process but you don't just take your taxing authority to court.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niedo View Post
Ive been in the home for just over a year,
Ive been paying the (previous assessment based) amount for approx 9 months;
my taxes next fiscal (starting in September) year will be approx $180.00 cheaper per month.
So what are you complaining about?

Old 08-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So what are you complaining about?

the nearly two thousand dollars I overpaid last fiscal year...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
There is an appeals process but you don't just take your taxing authority to court.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I already went thru the appeals process. they agreed that they over valued my home and lowered the appraisal.

I'm trying to seek redress for the amount of property tax I over paid last fiscal year...

Old 08-05-2013, 08:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
the nearly two thousand dollars I overpaid last fiscal year...
You didn't "over pay" a penny.

The tax assessment amount was right there on the MLS when you looked to buy.
You didn't check/ask/know what the taxes were before you bought?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrational View Post
you didn't "over pay" a penny.

The tax assessment amount was right there on the mls when you looked to buy.
You didn't check/ask/know what the taxes were before you bought?
did you not read what i posted?

At closing the taxes were lower than what i eneded up paying 3 months after i moved in. Then the mortgage company changed escrow, at which time it was too late to petition for a reassesment.

So lets be rational, mr rational. If the city admitted it over-valued my home for property tax purposes, why would there be no form of recourse for the months i paid the higher rate?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I think at best, you might get some type of property tax credit but not likely a check for the amount contested.

Maybe you should consult an attorney to verify what options you might have.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times
Quote:
did you not read what i posted?

At closing the taxes were lower than what i eneded up paying 3 months after i moved in. Then the mortgage company changed escrow, at which time it was too late to petition for a reassesment.

So lets be rational, mr rational. If the city admitted it over-valued my home for property tax purposes, why would there be no form of recourse for the months i paid the higher rate?
The mortgage company's escrow calculations do not influence the tax assessment valuation made by your local taxing authority. You've got the direction of causation backwards.

Mr Rational is correct.

Last edited by LOL_Whut; 08-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Sorry, but you are wasting your time. Just be happy they adjusted the appraisal for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate