Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM

255 posts, read 710,755 times

Advertisements

My hubby was offered a job in CO last week, and we are waiting on the HR package now. They want him there Oct. 21. We are simultaneously excited and scared to death since this would be our first big move! We have been trying to get our house ready for the market for many months now, and we are almost done. We would like to sell it outright before we leave, if possible, and get it on the market in the next 2 weeks. We could rent it if we absolutely have to since our parents live here and are experienced with rentals and real estate. They could potentially manage the property while we are gone.

The house itself is in great shape in a great suburb. It's a 70's style rancher with 3 beds and 2 baths. It has a detached 2 car over-sized garage with shop cabinets and a 1/3 acre fenced lot. About half the houses in our neighborhood have some sort of garage, and half have carports. We live in a quiet starter neighborhood with a park and elm school within walking distance. The baths are updated with new vanities and granite counters. We have Pergo wood flooring throughout the main living areas, tile in the kitchen, and carpet in the bedrooms. The kitchen hasn't been completely updated with new appliances, but the counters are granite look laminate and the cabinet pulls are updated with brushed nickel pulls. The whole house has new paint and new trim. My husband paid $118K for it 10 years ago, and we are hoping to get around $125K. Our neighborhood comps may or may not bear that out... A similar floor plan down the street without a garage sold about a year ago for $109K. Prices seem to be going up slightly, however.

We just need to do some minor things like switching out ceiling fans, switching out some bathroom fixtures, and painting one room. We also have to put in new carpet, but we thought about doing a carpet allowance and allowing the buyer to choose what carpet they want. The only issue is that the one room we have to paint has carpet with major latex paint spills on it. It's not really presentable, and I would be embarrassed to show it as it is. Should we wait to replace the carpet, cover the spills with a rug or replace that one room's carpet before we list?

With these issues, do you think it would be feasible to sell within 3 months? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 08:16 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,137,534 times
What would be your impression if you walked into a home that you were interested in purchasing to live in, and saw paint stains all over the carpet?

Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Just do what your realtor recommends and don't deviate too much. The realtor is the pro.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 AM

255 posts, read 710,755 times
Dave, I know... That's why I asked about what to do. We feel that it would be better to do a carpet allowance so people could pick the carpet they want. However, we do have the paint stains in the one room. We want it to show well, so we are trying to figure out what would be acceptable to potential buyers. Some people aren't freaked out by cosmetic issues that can be changed rather easily. Some are...

Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
Dave, I know... That's why I asked about what to do. We feel that it would be better to do a carpet allowance so people could pick the carpet they want. However, we do have the paint stains in the one room. We want it to show well, so we are trying to figure out what would be acceptable to potential buyers. Some people aren't freaked out by cosmetic issues that can be changed rather easily. Some are...
I think your best option is to replace the carpet throughout in a nice, plush neutral. I'd go moderately priced but go the extra mile on the padding. It depends somewhat on your price range, but patchworked carpeting is a turn off in all but the most modest homes.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:57 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Just do what your realtor recommends and don't deviate too much. The realtor is the pro.
^^^THIS!

Without being privy to your market, this is the best answer.

For allowances, no...buyers want a move in ready home. Allowances just mean they have to do work on it before doing so. If you change the carpet to something neutral and nice, they'll never walk in and go "I hate that carpet". They don't know what they don't know.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
I wouldn't take anything a realtor told me as gospel.

Fix the carpet...and other items. One week to get it done. NOW! The house needs to 'show' well in order to make a sale. It's not like you will get 95% of your offer price with 5% allowed for carpet. It's like you won't make a sale without getting it 'right'.

Sell in three months? That's tight. All you can do is do your best. Do Not Get Involved in Renting. You think you have 'issues' now? Ha! If the folks are there to keep an eye on the place, continue to show it with them as the 'point' people for arranging showing times and garnering feedback.

Good luck in the new job, and with the house sale. Sounds like you are being reasonable in your expectations.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdub View Post
We want it to show well...
Showing well means the buyers have as few open questions as possible.
They don't have to love the answers the seller gives... but don't leave them with questions.

"What should we do with the carpet?" is about as big a Q as there could be.

Quote:
We feel that it would be better to do a carpet allowance...
Never.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:18 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
It's quite easy to sell a house in 3 months, but not if it is over-pried and needs repairs.

Your local comps do not support your dream selling price. If you want to sell, adjust your expectations, and it looks like they need to be adjusted rather sharply.

Get 3 different agents out there and tell them you want the price to sell fast, that it has to be within 3 weeks. They will do the comps for you and let you know what they think it will take to get the house moved.

Just bite the bullet, take the lower price and get it over and done with.

The majority of buyers want a move-in ready house. They consider the tiniest little thing to be "too much work". Bad carpet is not a tiny little thing.

You can put in some fairly inexpensive carpet if you put an upgraded pad under it. Choose something really neutral and not too dark.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:28 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
With a starter home I would elect to put in the new carpet prior to putting it on the market, and honestly I wouldn't worry about an upgraded carpet pad. You said it's a starter home. People won't be expecting to find the "best" in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate