Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:36 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
I for one don't believe that everyone "entertains" in their home either.
That's the funniest part of the show.

"We need more space to entertain our guest"

For the camera the gatherings always look like this.

But when the camera crew is gone it turns to this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You hear it on HGTV because shows like House Hunters are staged and HGTV is there to make money from its sponsors,

This this this x 1000!! HGTV shows are just filler to make sure people watch ads. No different from soap operas. How does Proctor and Gamble make sure women watch their commercials? They put little stories of betrayal and evil twin sisters between the commercials. HGTV is just another version. Look at the shows. 50% of the time is spent recapping what they already showed us, and it's all ridiculous. Quick fix-ups for budget prices and we don't see the team of 50-100 contactors who actually did all the work. And we just sit there going OMG I want! Then we get the store and all we can afford is the Black & Decker drill!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 18,678 times
I guess I get rather depressed when I watch HGTV...

We can't afford a $600,000 home but it seems everyone else can.. especially on HGTV. honestly it's depressing! We are a middle to upper middle family and have bank approvals for a 300K home but have worked 15-20 years for it! Everyone we know has a 300K to a million dollar home and it makes me wonder... HOW? is everyone a CEO, Vice President or Doctor? I thought the average income per family in the 45-65K range... but yet it seems like there are way more people buying 300K+ homes than less priced homes! WEIRD! did i miss something somewhere? are middle class people renting until they save enough for their 300K+ home?

I'm also wondering how on HGTV "Molly and Jim are just out of college and have a budget of $700,000...." how the heck do you just get out of college and afford $700,000 home? and EVERY EPISODE IS JUST LIKE THAT?! it's either all staged, they pick through to find the most outrageous incomes to aire a better episode or people are really richer than we thought! anybody want to agree or have input on this?!?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM

6 posts, read 18,678 times
OHHH an btw, I live in the south... not in an area with a high cost of living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy07 View Post
I guess I get rather depressed when I watch HGTV...

We can't afford a $600,000 home but it seems everyone else can.. especially on HGTV. honestly it's depressing! We are a middle to upper middle family and have bank approvals for a 300K home but have worked 15-20 years for it! Everyone we know has a 300K to a million dollar home and it makes me wonder... HOW? is everyone a CEO, Vice President or Doctor? I thought the average income per family in the 45-65K range... but yet it seems like there are way more people buying 300K+ homes than less priced homes! WEIRD! did i miss something somewhere? are middle class people renting until they save enough for their 300K+ home?

I'm also wondering how on HGTV "Molly and Jim are just out of college and have a budget of $700,000...." how the heck do you just get out of college and afford $700,000 home? and EVERY EPISODE IS JUST LIKE THAT?! it's either all staged, they pick through to find the most outrageous incomes to aire a better episode or people are really richer than we thought! anybody want to agree or have input on this?!?

Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
Just out of college and buying a $700,000 home?

Two words:

Family money.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
They NEED a 700K home because Molly is an aspiring chef and Jim is a promising musician.
They NEED a 700K, 4 bedroom, 3 bath home with granite, stainless, hardwood. She NEEDS the kitchen and he NEEDS the extra rooms to store his instruments.

They also NEED an open floor plan for jam sessions.

They also NEED to move out of their parents basement.

Oh and Muffin, the 6 pound Shih Tzu NEEDS a large fenced in yard!

My two words-

Barbie
Ken

Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
Quote:
OHHH an btw, I live in the south... not in an area with a high cost of living.
I never understood that either.

I wonder what everyone does for a living to afford those homes. It's not like everyone is making $400K per year. A lot of it is for show, and they are in debt up to their eye balls.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:06 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yep, these shows are quite scripted down to the comments and each tired quip "these two closets will work for me the wife exclaims, where are yours, snicker snicker?"
That bugs me to no end, too! The joke is so old, it's just not funny anymore. Yet they say it on there all. the. time. Between that and "this kitchen will be perfect for entertaining." Buy your house for "perfect for everyday use" because entertaining probably happens once or twice per year. You want the house to work for the rest of the time! Ugh!

My mom used to laugh at the shows where they'd walk into a kitchen and say, "it will have to be completely redone." My mom's comment: that kitchen is more updated than mine, and I live with it just fine!

Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,743,861 times
To be fair, some of us do entertain an awful lot - I usually have a formal dinner party once a month, a cocktail party every few months, and more casual dinner parties a few times per month. And i host a brunch every 6 weeks. So it was important to me to have a house that was geared for entertaining.

I do get amused by the enormous yards some people want, though, especially if the yard is for a dog. Seems to be an inverse relationship between the people size of the dog & the size of the yard!

Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
To be fair, some of us do entertain an awful lot - I usually have a formal dinner party once a month, a cocktail party every few months, and more casual dinner parties a few times per month. And i host a brunch every 6 weeks. So it was important to me to have a house that was geared for entertaining.

I do get amused by the enormous yards some people want, though, especially if the yard is for a dog. Seems to be an inverse relationship between the people size of the dog & the size of the yard!
So you entertain about 30 days/year ... still leaves 335 days/year for everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate