Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Yes and I still don't see why it would matter. It is still a house and the house itself had nothing to do with what was done by those who lived there. If someone is so scared their potential home is tainted in some way they should just build a brand new shiny pretty and be done with it. I can guess though, that property they build on will at some point have had someone buried on it.
If it doesn't matter, than what's wrong with disclosing that information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Coming To America - The Motel Funny Clip (Eddie Murphy) HD - YouTube

Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Horrible things happen in homes all of the time that nobody knows about. Unless you're getting a brand new home, you don't actually know unless it was published.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
This would not need to be disclosed in Texas. I lived in a haunted house for a while. When we finally asked the agent why all these "weird" things were going on, her reply was, "Oh, that's just Florence." She had slipped in the bathtub and died.

She might have been nice when she was alive, but it's rude for the dead to turn on lights without turning them off, move things around, turn pictures upside down, and slam doors behind guests. Just plain rude...

Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
In California, the manner/occurrence of death in the property must be disclosed if it happened 3 years prior to when an offer is made.
California has material disclosure laws like any other state. The question is, is a death on the property a material event? Was a gruesome murder committed, etc... or was it a type of death that some aspect of the house caused.

The related statute (CC 1710.2) does not say that a death on a property within three years must be disclosed. It is: you need not disclose a death occurring more than three years ago.

There was this case 20 or 30 years ago, details escape me, where a murder occurred 10 years before the sale. When the new owners found out, they sued and it went to the appellate court and they sided with the plaintiff. The feeling was that a known murder should have been disclosed as a material event with no timeline involved.

California then made a law to try to limit how far back one needs to consider and they came up with three years.

So the disclosure law is the same as always, you must disclose material events, such as any heinous crime on the property, but now you don't have to disclose it if it was more than 3 years ago. It also clarified the federal standard on AIDS patient's right to privacy.

If asked about any material event and you have knowledge, this statute does not protect you even if three years have passed. That is still considered misrepresentation. Basically, you can never lie about knowledge you have. That has not changed.

The California Association of Realtors has adopted a policy of disclosing every death within three years because they do not feel Real Estate Agents/Brokers should be in a position to determine if a particular death is a material event or not. Their position is to disclose and let the buyer decide. I do not think that is a bad policy. But it is not the law.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:59 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
This would not need to be disclosed in Texas. I lived in a haunted house for a while. When we finally asked the agent why all these "weird" things were going on, her reply was, "Oh, that's just Florence." She had slipped in the bathtub and died.

She might have been nice when she was alive, but it's rude for the dead to turn on lights without turning them off, move things around, turn pictures upside down, and slam doors behind guests. Just plain rude...
That's hilarious. If she even made my pictures crooked I'd be pissed

Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
That's hilarious. If she even made my pictures crooked I'd be pissed
I was more annoyed at the lights being left on (turned on) all the time...

Old 08-09-2013, 07:07 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

I totally understand how you felt. We've had glasses suspend in mid-air, then fall and shatter. Chairs would be pulled away from tables and then turned around to face people sitting in the next room. Flowers in a vase with stems bent in half and worse--bedroom doorknob being turned. Not fun!

Surprisingly, when the house received major renovations all of that stopped. So we didn't have to worry about disclosing anything since nothing happened for several years before putting it up for sale.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:18 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
In Idaho, not only is disclosure not necessary, but if asked directly, the seller is allowed to refuse to answer. Of course if you say "I'm not going to respond to that question", that sort of answers the question by itself. But still. There is absolutely no obligation for the seller or the agent to disclose this, and in fact the agent can get in trouble for disclosing it without seller permission.
You're right, if someone doesn't want to answer, you sort of have your answer. That would really raise a red flag for me.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:27 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Do people not google the address of the house they are buying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate