Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 02:10 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,728 times

Advertisements

Have a question for buyers (and sellers). Came across a new startup agency and they want to list homes but have buyers view them directly with the sellers. So sellers show prospective buyers the homes. They list homes in the MLS at 1%, plus offer a buyers agency fee - but if you view the home directly with the owner then the total commission is 1% and both seller and buyer save. They are using technology pretty heavily - or plan to. Buyers agents can show the home also if they have a client. Every buyer is first approved for financing.

My question is: as a buyer - do you have any issues viewing a home with the owner? or as a seller - do you have any issues showing a buyer? This isn't for everybody but ... what do you think of this type of arrangement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Have a question for buyers (and sellers). Came across a new startup agency and they want to list homes but have buyers view them directly with the sellers. So sellers show prospective buyers the homes. They list homes in the MLS at 1%, plus offer a buyers agency fee - but if you view the home directly with the owner then the total commission is 1% and both seller and buyer save. They are using technology pretty heavily - or plan to. Buyers agents can show the home also if they have a client. Every buyer is first approved for financing.

My question is: as a buyer - do you have any issues viewing a home with the owner? or as a seller - do you have any issues showing a buyer? This isn't for everybody but ... what do you think of this type of arrangement?
well, I'm sure it will appeal to a few people, but all I can think is yuck.

It's the rare seller who would represent his own property in a way that would actually appeal to a buyer. Most of them will just shoot themselves in the foot by being so biased and emotionally attached to the home.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
It's the rare seller who would represent his own property in a way that would actually appeal to a buyer.
How so? Wouldn't a seller know their property better than anyone else?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
How so? Wouldn't a seller know their property better than anyone else?
Yes of course, but that's not going to help sell the house.

99.9% of sellers have an emotional attachment to their home.

Any little criticism of it will feel like someone has insulted your favorite child. This will make the seller defensive.

The buyer who is looking will sense that and won't feel free to voice his/her real opinions.

The whole exchange will be uncomfortable for both parties, but especially the buyer - who will promptly and politely say goodbye and move on to seeing homes listed with agents.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Never.

I don't need to hear the sellers' version of events. There are enough landmines in this business anyway. The last thing buyers and sellers need is to make it more personal.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
A couple of issues I can think of.

1. How many sellers are always available for a showing? If you work that could be a problem. Vacation? Another problem.
2. How many sellers would be comfortable in that setting? They may do more harm than good.
3. How many sellers would feel uncomfortable alone in a house with a stranger?

Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
A terrible idea for all the reasons cited above, and more that I can think of. But since I suspect this is just somebody looking to do free market research using this forum for information, I'll pass on 'helping.'

Edited to add: Yep, I was right. See this thread: Question for homesellers or those that recently sold their homes

Word of advice: Honesty is the best policy.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:38 PM

Yes I am doing some research - is that a problem? Trying to get a variety of opinions on things and came across this startup and was intrigued by the model of them actually wanting buyers to view homes directly with sellers.

Seeing as FSBO's do this, have to imagine many people don't mind - while others wouldn't want to see it without an agent. I think most replies have been from agents (best I can tell) - except the last one who remembered me from a previous post.
Quote:
Word of advice: Honesty is the best policy.
Not sure what you mean - please elaborate.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
So is this not the startup that you're working with but another one?

Quote:
Hi-

I am working with a fledgeling tech startup (organized at startupweekend two weeks ago) to research an app for homesellers and would like to ask if there is anything about the process you feel could be improved upon or think should be changed.

Not so much the use of an agent, but more along the lines of things that you would like to see to reduce stress or be better informed. For instance - did you receive feedback after every showing? Was it helpful? Could you keep close track of your competition (others selling similar homes) to see how they were doing?

Anything you can think of is helpful. Feel free to contact me privately if needed. Tks.
And if you're trying to get a variety of opinions, why are you arguing with the ones you're getting?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 PM

This is another startup that I came across that is being launched out of a tech accelerator in WI.

Who is arguing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate