Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
If prior sales are not on Zillow they can still get it from public records. In many states it's all on line.
And in nondisclosure states (like Texas, where I am), it's supposed to be private information that even the tax man can't demand to have. (We're still fond of our privacy here and don't figure that everyone has the right to any information about us they might want just because they want it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Anyone with half a brain will realize that when looking at Zillow.
Your kidding right? Most people who have a half a brain, don't use it.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Yes, Zillow has been a pain in my arse through trying to sell my home. I cannot tell you how many people have questioned our asking price due to the last sale price being shown as xxxx. People who see that info online have NO idea how much the seller has invested or changed the property since the last sale. People and even other realtors practically insulted us acting like we were being greedy, when in fact there had been major construction and renovation that we completed, to the tune of almost 100k. They come walking into the showing with that prejudice in their back pocket, "well they only paid xxx X amount of years ago". Everyone just looks up the last sale price and thinks you are trying to just flip your house and make a huge profit, when in fact most sellers will never see a return on most improvements. Buyers and realtors really need to research what is going on with the price in reality, instead of making assumptions based on random Zillow info.

Last edited by L0ve; 08-11-2013 at 08:11 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,819,429 times
As a potential buyer, I want to see the previous info because I am not going to buy a house from a flipper - if I see a listing for a house that sold 3-6 months ago and now is for sale again at a much higher price, all new and shiny, then I am going to take an even longer look at the remodel. What corners were cut by someone turning the house with no eye for anything other than profit? Certainly I am going to go pull the permits as well, to be sure the remodel was completely permitted and inspected. That isn't a guarantee of quality, but it at least means the remodel played by the rules. Sorry if that offends the seller, but that is the way it is.

I'd rather do the remodel myself to my own taste anyway. There are some remodel issues that are a plus and that I certainly expect to pay for - a new(er) roof, updated energy efficient windows, newer furnace. Unfortunately most sellers seem to think a granite counter top is more important than home efficiency updates, and I disagree. That granite doesn't count for a lot with me, but the new windows, and energy audit, new insulation - that goes a long way.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settler2013 View Post
How can I turn off my house past selling record from redfin and zillow?

We found redfin and zillow past sales data really can hurt home owners when it comes to sell. Especially if you bought very well (with luck and your effort) and market appreciated that you have a good gain if sold.

You would think buyer only look at market value of the home, no, they judge your gain and are not happy if your gain is too much. After all, Austin's market has been quite flat, buyers are not used to see seller walking away with big gain yet, unlike CA where people got used to big up and down.
You don't have and never will have the power to turn it off. Simple as that.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
As a potential buyer, I want to see the previous info because I am not going to buy a house from a flipper - if I see a listing for a house that sold 3-6 months ago and now is for sale again at a much higher price, all new and shiny, then I am going to take an even longer look at the remodel. What corners were cut by someone turning the house with no eye for anything other than profit? Certainly I am going to go pull the permits as well, to be sure the remodel was completely permitted and inspected. That isn't a guarantee of quality, but it at least means the remodel played by the rules. Sorry if that offends the seller, but that is the way it is.
Someone can live in a house for twenty years and have a crappy remodel, especially before they sell the place. Flippers aren't the only ones who could possibly cut corners.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And in nondisclosure states (like Texas, where I am), it's supposed to be private information that even the tax man can't demand to have. (We're still fond of our privacy here and don't figure that everyone has the right to any information about us they might want just because they want it.)
Easy to get around.
1. Pay a realtor $100 cash to look it up for you in MLS
2. Look up the buyers mortgage at the registry of deeds

That said.... It's irrelevant what someone paid. They are going to sell it for what it's currently worth.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
1. Pay a realtor $100 cash to look it up for you in MLS
There should be no need to pay a realtor to look that up. Public record is just that and there is no need to pay anything for the information. Most of the records are available at the city or county internet site.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
There should be no need to pay a realtor to look that up. Public record is just that and there is no need to pay anything for the information. Most of the records are available at the city or county internet site.
Texas is a non-disclosure state. The payment is hush money. Realtors are trying to protect the value of their work product. It's not that they're restricting information; they're just restricting who has it.

I dont live in texas, so I dont know how it work there. I'm just guessing. But like everything in life, a simple $100 bill can get people to look the other way on a number of things.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Quote:
The payment is hush money. Realtors are trying to protect the value of their work product. It's not that they're restricting information; they're just restricting who has it. .
They hold a monopoly.

I agree. It takes a realtor 2 minutes to look it up; why pay them 100.00 for 2 minutes of work. They are already grossly overpaid based on hours spent doing actual work with property. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate