Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:17 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Here is a link to my listing..........I really appreciate this help and advice even if I don't like hearing much of it!

Single Family Home - Fredon Twp., NJ, 07860 - Realtor.com
Is there anyway to brighten up the kitchen or living room? I'm a stickler for lighting and from the pictures it really bothers me that these rooms seem somwhat dark.

Maybe the time of day they are taken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM

559 posts, read 1,356,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
casper...I think maybe the colors you have painted may be turning some people off. I wouldn't want to buy a house and then have to paint and it is an added expense. Maybe paint it a neutral color. Also, are you moved out? You may want to have a stager some in and stage your home. WHen a home is empty it often looks and feels cold. You don't need much...A couch and chairs in the living room, a table in the dining room...Personally, I like those colors but my husband would hate them and wouldn't agree to buy a house with those colors. I like the layout and the outside looks so nice. (but maybe a more head on shot of the front would be better)
Hang in there
Thank you.........I thought about painting a neutral color but we haven't had a single person say the colors were the reason........Besides IMHO who doesn't want to put some of their own personal touches to a room. At this point, I really thank you for any feedback and will consider the paint job.

Thank you

Last edited by casper324; 11-13-2007 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
Quote:
Thank you.........I thought about painting a neutral color but we haven't had a single person say the colors were the reason........Besides IMHO who doesn't want to put some of their own personal touches to a room. At this point, I really thank you for any feedback and will consider the paint job.

Thank you
I think some people don't want to "hurt feelings" and thus won't say anything about the paint. Lord knows I wouldn't speak up...that is until recently and I realize that it would HELP the seller. Yes, people want to make personal touches...But that is easier to imagine if there is a blank canvas...harder to do with red walls and green kitchen. (again, I like the colors, but I LOVE color...a lot do not) I really wish you the best. Your home looks lovely and I would consider it if I were moving to your area-wonderful view!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM

238 posts, read 763,252 times
Quote:
We bought the home in 1987 for 122,000. Did a 125,000 second story addition in 2003 which required us to bring everything up to current code. New roof, new 7 zone HHB heating system, new kitchen, new bathrooms, new floors pretty much everything is 4 years old. The house is 3200 Square feet on 1.34 acres in blue Ribbon School district and wonderful upscale family community.

The realtor did stage the house maybe to formal for the area but it looks wonderful.

Boy are the figures someone posted pretty spooky regarding rent. The house is in Sussex COunty NJ and I don't think I could get more then 2000.00 a month rent. If that house is only worth 200,000 I've made some HUGE financial mistakes.

Although I hate to say it, I am glad I'm not alone. *G*
Here's the thing. Let's say I'm a buyer (I am). Let's say I'm a rational buyer - I'm not hopped up on 0-down, interest-only, toxic mortgage junk - and I'm not counting on 25% per year appreciation to bail me out of whatever mistakes I make today. Let's say I'm anxious to avoid exactly the kinds of mistakes that adversely affect the financial well-being of my family.

Now let's say I can buy your home for (heck, let's round up) 370k.

PITI on that comes to roughly 3k/mo. Does it really make any kind of sense to own your home for $3000 per month, when I could rent it for 2K instead?

PS... It's not the paint. I promise you, your buyer is not scratching his head and thinking, "Geez... I really love this house... and what a steal! If only it were possible to buy a paintbrush somewhere..."

Last edited by LinusK; 11-13-2007 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 PM

306 posts, read 1,136,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
It strikes me that in areas that didn't have exhorbitant price appreciation, the market was still affected by higher than usual demand - due to speculators and people panic buying. So areas became overbuilt for the population, houses sold quickly, and now that demand has lowered, the oversupply is killing sellers in terms of days-on-market.
I think you've almost summed up Raleigh, NC. Everybody knew that this market was one of the few strong remaining ones; all you guys wanted to move here ; every builder and his brother created the McMansion here and now there's loads of them sitting on the market.

I've been analysing sales (or lack of) some lovely custom homes by a State park in this city for over a year. All over 600K. Its rather sad to see houses built in 2006 remaining unsold. Unfortunately, stubborn builder and his brother won't drop the price to make them affordable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate