Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 05:36 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Many buyers will pull a No Closing Bluff at the last minute to get more money out of you.
Threaten to keep his earnest money and sue him for performance. This is where your agent should be communicating strongly with the other agent.

Be an A** and get rather pushy. The buyer has damaged you by having the house off the market during this strong summer season.

Do not be a nice guy at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM

953 posts, read 1,830,426 times
Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
She has. Our agent told us that we have an arbitration clause so we will have to go through that process unless the buyer agrees to forfeit the earnest money.
You don't have arbitration, you have mediation, big difference. And if you chose to go that route, your house will stay off the market the entire time probably making you lose more money and marketing time. Oh, and no one has to agree to anything at mediation. All you're obligated to do is show up. If you guys can't agree, then you get to go to Big Boy court and spend more money.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:54 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,877 times
To put this in a different light, we should probably put ourselves in the buyer's shoes and see what might be going on. Perhaps the buyer discovered certain things about the neighborhood that were not known (a crack house nearby, etc.) All the inspections and money had been paid out but when the buyer goes home at night he thinks he has gotten into something he would rather not follow through with.

Losing whatever money he has put into this deal is chickenfeed compared to the misery he thinks he was getting into.

Personal example. We bought a house in 2011 that looked about perfect. Well it turned out to be anything but. We will take a $20K bath on that deal. If I knew then what I know now, would I have backed out and lost my earnest money and inspection money? I think the answer is obvious.

I don't know all the circumstances here. There may be more to the story than we are privy to. I would say this, however, getting to the truth of why the buyer is backing out may never be known. The buyer clams up and takes the hit and goes on. If he concocts a story made up out of whole cloth and there is no good reason to back out then he is hanging himself out to dry in the event the seller wanted to sue his britches off. As a general rule, there is always an "out" that will in the end win out, no matter what the agent will tell him. After all he or she is looking at the commission money going down the drain. They have conflicting interests even if they are employed as a buyer's agent.

Not trying to be argumentative but wanting to give what may be driving this buyer. Assuming there is nothing being concealed or not known and the appraisal and inspections are good, it may be best to just let it go and move on. If the house is worth the money, and assuming our economy ever gets out of the ditch it should eventually sell. Might be worthwhile to delist it and relist in 60 days or so after a cooling off period.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:44 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many buyers will pull a No Closing Bluff at the last minute to get more money out of you.
Threaten to keep his earnest money and sue him for performance. This is where your agent should be communicating strongly with the other agent.

Be an A** and get rather pushy. The buyer has damaged you by having the house off the market during this strong summer season.

Do not be a nice guy at this point.
This exactly what we did. I called my agent at 8PM and told her to go ahead and give them what they want. Its not worth the hassle to not close tomorrow over a few hundred dollars. She convinced me to stick it out as we were 100% in the right. She told the buyers agent exactly what you said about keeping his earnest money and suing him for performance. They caved about 9PM and agreed to honor the contract and close tomorrow.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:24 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Looking for advice if anyone has had this happen to them.

Situation
  1. House was listed for 275. Buyer made offer of 270 with a no negotiation contingency. We accepted
  2. House was inspected.
  3. Buyer came back with list of repairs to be done. I told my agent we accepted a non negotiation offer and now he wants to negotiate? We worked out a deal where I would do the repairs I could and would reduce the house by $600 to cover the rest.
  4. I completed the repairs 2 weeks ago and provided recipients for the materials
  5. Buyer did not have anyone re inspect
  6. The day before closing the buyers father comes over to do a walk through. Makes a list of all these items never discussed like sprinklers need to be adjusted, floors need refinishing, screen door is wood not metal and other BS crap. We refused.
  7. Buyer is now saying that repairs we did were not done by licenses contractor (I was very clear that I was not using one)]
  8. Buyer wants us to pay for a contractor to come inspect the work or they will not close.

I told our agent that we are done negotiating and expect the buyer to honer the agreement. She agreed and said we have done everything we need to do and if they do not close tomorrow they will be in default.

What does that mean for us? Do we need an attorney? Anyone been through this before? I'm really pissed and don't want to let that cloud my judgment and decisions I make right now.
Tell the buyers to burn in hell. People who pull crap like that make life difficult - there is no need to put up with nonsense like that.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:49 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I had that happen on one of our houses we were selling one time. We jumped through all the hoops and the buyer started getting weird at the end. Final straw was they said the AC wasn't cold enough. We had an AC contractor come out, inspect it, and show them it was exactly what it should be. We finally had to threaten to sue them for backing out and then they decided to close. But it was touch and go for a while.

I hate people who play those games.

Don

Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I had "the father" get involved in one of my home sales and it was a royal PITA. They always come in and throw their weight around, acting like the buying couple are idiots and got completely snookered.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:59 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,494 times
this is why I hate real estate, most of the people [buyers] in this game do not have the funds to make deals like this so every decision is "a huge" decision for them and they puss out. This is the big leagues, keep renting if you cant handle it.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:56 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
This exactly what we did. I called my agent at 8PM and told her to go ahead and give them what they want. Its not worth the hassle to not close tomorrow over a few hundred dollars. She convinced me to stick it out as we were 100% in the right. She told the buyers agent exactly what you said about keeping his earnest money and suing him for performance. They caved about 9PM and agreed to honor the contract and close tomorrow.
As mentioned, Many people will pull this Bluff just to get more money at the last minute.

They know you have made plans to move out (or already have), have made other plans and try to use it to their advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate