Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM

114 posts, read 208,583 times

Advertisements

Listed my home for sale on Zillow. Received an offer from a realtor who is working a relocation package. I did have on my listing that I would work with a realtor.

I received info today from title and abstract company that FSBO do not typically pay commission fees. I thought cutting the fee in half was good but eliminating it would be amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 PM

936 posts, read 2,201,660 times
Everything is negotiable unless you've made an open offer to pay commission. Then you can't back out.

I'm guessing that the title company provided you with generic information that applied to the typical FSBO who had no intention of working with a broker.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Relocation realtor may be getting paid by the employer doing the relocating but you need to read your contract. If there is no commission on the contract then I don't see how you would be obligated to pay any.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31 View Post
I received info today from title and abstract company that FSBO do not typically pay commission fees.
Is that supposed to be new information? Certainly you knew that before!

So, why would you advertise that you'd work with a real estate agent if you're not willing to pay them for bringing you a buyer?

Old 08-20-2013, 05:10 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Only if you want to. Just keep in mind most people who are paying for their own agent will also be lowering their offer by that amount (if not more).

Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
What does "work with a realtor" mean? Did you have to sign anything when it was shown by the agent representing the buyer? If not, could you pay them whatever you wanted or felt is reasonable? Does it have to be the standard buyers agent fee?

Quote:
Everything is negotiable unless you've made an open offer to pay commission. Then you can't back out.
Are you saying that if someone says they will offer a 3% buyers agent commission in their advertisement, that they would be obligated to pay that even if it is not included in the contract?

Old 08-20-2013, 06:20 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Let's face it, one way or another the seller is going to pay half the "commission". Either in an actual commission or a reduced offer price.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:18 AM

114 posts, read 208,583 times
I indicated I would work with a realtor but the commission percentage was not in the ad of mine. 3% on 900K is significant, especially since the realtor has spent an hour on this deal so far. I'm not looking to pay zero, but $27,000 seems a bit excessive to me.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile31 View Post
I indicated I would work with a realtor but the commission percentage was not in the ad of mine. 3% on 900K is significant, especially since the realtor has spent an hour on this deal so far. I'm not looking to pay zero, but $27,000 seems a bit excessive to me.
If I read this correctly, the Realtor you are paying in this case is the buyers agent, not yours. If you agreed to make payment to that agent, and you agreed to an amount, then it seems to me the issue is settled. You aren't paying the agent for the hour he spent on THIS transaction & YOUR house. YOU aren't represented. YOU don't have an agent. The BUYER has an agent. The BUYER is represented. You have no idea how much time & energy that agent has spent for that buyer, and, frankly, you don't need to know. You agreed to pay the 3% for your BUYER'S AGENT.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
I signed up for Zillow recently because someone else mentioned that they send you updates on housing activity in your area and I thought I'd give it a try. About 4x per week they send me an email and about 1/3 of the homes are FSBO. On these listings it says "will work with realtors" or "buyers agents welcome".

Curious what would happen if an agent called to show the home, asked if the seller worked with agents, and then asked them to sign a form stating a 3% buyers agent fee - and the seller said "i'll pay you 1%".... or maybe even a flat $1000 fee. Would the buyer not get to see the house? As a realtor I would be pissed, but as a seller I wouldn't unless my motivation to sell was enough to pay 3%.

Sounds like you are in the drivers seat and curious to hear what you will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate