Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM

14 posts, read 17,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm sure the guy who's mortgage you're paying appreciates that sentiment. Renting is throwing money away. At least when you buy there is a return on investment.

Tell that to my friend who bought a home in 2004 for 350k. It's worth 145k today. He rented it out but he's so far down that foreclosure and bankruptcy would have been fine choices. And he did nothing wrong really. He's not a housing expert so how could you know to expect 50% drop in an illiquid market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM

248 posts, read 674,334 times
Let me guess. You also have a lease on a brand new E class and are ONLY pay $600/mo for a car worth $60K? Talk about a freaking steal!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridmap View Post
Tell that to my friend who bought a home in 2004 for 350k. It's worth 145k today. He rented it out but he's so far down that foreclosure and bankruptcy would have been fine choices. And he did nothing wrong really. He's not a housing expert so how could you know to expect 50% drop in an illiquid market?
And how much in rent would your friend have paid over that time? Things are not as simple as you are making them out to be.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
And how much in rent would your friend have paid over that time? Things are not as simple as you are making them out to be.

True, but his rent could not have been the cost of his 350k mortgage plus the depreciation of this house. Millions of Americans are in this same condition. The losses aren't realized yet because people are still living in the homes in many cases. But they know they can't sell.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Everyone who looked could see there was a housing bubble that would have to be corrected. Plus he's renting it out, so there's no loss for him, and eventually the house will regain value.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Come on.. some one has to have a great reason to buy.. We know investment is a lousy reason..

Having the home as an asset (PAID OFF only) seems to be the only one so far.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
True, but his rent could not have been the cost of his 350k mortgage plus the depreciation of this house. Millions of Americans are in this same condition. The losses aren't realized yet because people are still living in the homes in many cases. But they know they can't sell.
And millions of people haven't had their house drop like that in prices. You can't just pick out the bad situations and apply it to all of housing.

You also seem to be looking at this from a pure financial view. There are other reasons why someone would choose to buy over rent (or rent over buy) that are not purely financial in nature.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM

118 posts, read 488,026 times
Where I live it cost less to buy than rent... especially if you got in when interest rates were super low.

Even at a 5.5% interest rate my mortgage payment, taxes and ins would still less than my apartment.
Plus I can do whatever I want to the place and have a yard for my dog, and a garage.

Like a previous person posted.. different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:52 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Sounds like you don't want to buy a house, period. Why did you bother asking if you already know the answer?

Quote:
Almost every realtor I've talked with says people only stay in one home for 5 years or so..
Every one of them would be wrong.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM

118 posts, read 488,026 times
Quote:
Come on.. some one has to have a great reason to buy.. We know investment is a lousy reason..

Having the home as an asset (PAID OFF only) seems to be the only one so far.

You can google reasons to hold a mortgage.. youll get good reasons..

google reasons to pay off your mortgage early..youll get good reasons..

google reasons to rent a car, youll get good reasons..

google reasons to buy a car, youll get good reasons..

I think you see what Im getting at.

It all has to do with your family's needs and wants.. and all about trade offs and if they are worth it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate