Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:28 PM

532 posts, read 1,465,547 times

Advertisements

We are interested in buying a house that is under contract and has a closing date of 3 weeks from now.

Spoke with the seller and he said he will let me know if the deal falls thru.

The only thing I can think of is to offer the buyer (who I don't know who it is) money to not close , and then offer the seller a higher price than their contract sales price.

I would want the seller to know the entire arrangement.

Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 PM

96 posts, read 337,569 times
I am not a professional but this sounds like it could lead to a sticky situation. I am not sure how you would find out who is buying it and go about contacting them without breaking some sort of privacy rule. In my opinion why don't you just wait to see if the deal falls through. I am in the process of buying a home and I would hate for someone to try to do this to me.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:46 PM

I don't think it's doing anything bad to the buyer.
What I would say to him is would you back out of the contract for 10k?

If he doesn't like the idea he says no.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM

311 posts, read 916,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
We are interested in buying a house that is under contract and has a closing date of 3 weeks from now.

Spoke with the seller and he said he will let me know if the deal falls thru.

The only thing I can think of is to offer the buyer (who I don't know who it is) money to not close , and then offer the seller a higher price than their contract sales price.

I would want the seller to know the entire arrangement.

Any suggestions ?
YES...FIND ANOTHER HOUSE....

Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyrose View Post
YES...FIND ANOTHER HOUSE....
That was helpful

1,949 posts, read 5,985,946 times
Again, how would you find out who the buyer is? I would tell you to get lost. It's like bribery or something.

What's so great about this house that you are willing to pay off a buyer and pay a higher price to the seller?

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
First, if customary or legal in your area, I would make a solid back up offer to the Seller, with as few as possible contingencies, a large EMD, and a condition of a large down payment, with a solid preapproval letter if you are not paying cash.
A great back up offer may also tilt the Seller's negotiating hand into a firmer position, favoring your success, if the buyer begins to make unreasonable demands.
This approach alone may be enough that you get lucky and get the home.

Next, your agent may be able to identify the Buyer's agent through MLS.
Then you could make inquiry about the acceptability of an offer to buy out the Buyer.
You might offer to pay the Buyer's agent a nice piece of their expected commission if you succeed in getting the deal, and also offer to reimburse the Buyer 100% for any expenses.

And, check with your agent and/or attorney about the legalities involved, ethical considerations, and drafting of the various agreements.
Here, standard contracts are not assignable without the seller's consent, and I would expect you may have to work through the seller's resistance to letting go of a valid contract.

Getting a foot in the door and closing the deal will not be cheap, but if the house is "The House," well, it is what it is...

Good luck, and hope everyone is a winner...

Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Again, how would you find out who the buyer is? I would tell you to get lost. It's like bribery or something.

What's so great about this house that you are willing to pay off a buyer and pay a higher price to the seller?
I would be upfront and speak with the seller and tell him my idea.

House is the style we are looking for , in the section of town we are looking for .

Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
First, if customary or legal in your area, I would make a solid back up offer to the Seller, with as few as possible contingencies, a large EMD, and a condition of a large down payment, with a solid preapproval letter if you are not paying cash.
A great back up offer may also tilt the Seller's negotiating hand into a firmer position, favoring your success, if the buyer begins to make unreasonable demands.
This approach alone may be enough that you get lucky and get the home.

Next, your agent may be able to identify the Buyer's agent through MLS.
Then you could make inquiry about the acceptability of an offer to buy out the Buyer.
You might offer to pay the Buyer's agent a nice piece of their expected commission if you succeed in getting the deal, and also offer to reimburse the Buyer 100% for any expenses.

And, check with your agent and/or attorney about the legalities involved, ethical considerations, and drafting of the various agreements.
Here, standard contracts are not assignable without the seller's consent, and I would expect you may have to work through the seller's resistance to letting go of a valid contract.

Getting a foot in the door and closing the deal will not be cheap, but if the house is "The House," well, it is what it is...

Good luck, and hope everyone is a winner...
Great advice.
All in all it sounds good but expensive.
I think I'll wait to see if any problems turn up with the deal.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:53 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Great advice.
All in all it sounds good but expensive.
I think I'll wait to see if any problems turn up with the deal.
If you can, make the back up offer.
That does not have to be expensive.

It only gets expensive if you want to diddle around in someone else' agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate