Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 AM

396 posts, read 1,852,223 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion of a home buyer writing an offer to give the seller an indefinite time period to consider it (until withdrawn)? Is this viewed favorably by some sellers? Or, do sellers think it's an indirect pressure tactic by the buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I'm sure sellers would love it. Not sure why a buyer would want to do it.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:49 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
I can see no reason to do this. Unless you are in the unusual situation of kinda wanting a house, but not that much, and not right away.

The way to put pressure on the seller is to make an offer valid for 48 hours.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I almost never write a deadline in an offer.
I very seldom receive an offer with a deadline.

Never understood the hangup on putting deadlines in. I guess it is a regional thing, based on typical contracts and customs.
I see no fundamental advantage to the buyer, since the buyer can almost never be forced to buy.
And no EMD crosses hands until there is a contract.
Sellers know the buyer is looking and shopping until they get a contract, and even after.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
I can see making a low ball offer such as
"if you can't sell your house for 250K call me and I'll be happy to buy it at 180K"

This could certainly work if enough time elapses. The house would probably need a ton of work or be otherwise currently undesirable.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:10 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm sure sellers would love it. Not sure why a buyer would want to do it.
Yes, the sellers would love it. Now they can shop your offer, letting everyone that sees the house know there is an offer in hand putting pressure on the others to make quick and strong offers. And they have time to wait for a better offer.

It's easy to extend an offer. No reason to leave it open. Get an answer.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Yes, the sellers would love it. Now they can shop your offer, letting everyone that sees the house know there is an offer in hand putting pressure on the others to make quick and strong offers. And they have time to wait for a better offer.

It's easy to extend an offer. No reason to leave it open. Get an answer.
So, a deadline prevents shopping the offer?
Of course not. A gratuitous deadline only creates urgency to shop an offer for the defined period, while making the buyer appear to be difficult.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,452 times
I would put a deadline when there is tangible benefit- if you think they might shop the offer or you want to force them into an otherwise uncomfortable decision- like it's your last offer and it's still a little below what they want to accept.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
The Texas contracts do not allow for a deadline in the residential contracts. The commercial contracts have a deadline.

If you decide you don't want your offer to be out there anymore, you just send an email or make a phone call to withdraw your offer.

Putting a deadline in an offer actually doesn't make sense because a seller can't agree to respond to the deadline without executing the offer into a contract because an offer isn't signed by a seller. If it's not signed, the seller hasn't agreed to anything which also means the seller hasn't agreed to respond by your deadline. An offer isn't for one-way communication.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:40 AM

830 posts, read 1,538,664 times
We received two offers within 24 hours. The first had what I thought was a pretty generous deadline - 5 days. The second was wide open.

We certainly appreciated the lack of deadline (and even the 5 day period), but it seemed solely in our favor. We could wait and see what else might come along.

From the buyer's perspective - I don't see the benefit. They are effectively tied to this one house and can't (shouldn't) really make other offers while waiting for a decision. Sure, technically, a buyer can submit as many offers as they want, but what if more than one is accepted? There are many options for buyers to back out, but it's really not acting in good faith... it's a waste of everyone's time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate