Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,360,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
Ceiling fans--even with integral lights--don't have to be ugly.

Most are, but they don't have to be.

Granite maintenance? I have never done a thing to my granite except keep it clean, and it's as solid and sound as the day I got it, and will be 100 years from now not to mention 1000.

I agree with you about oil-rubbed bronze. Think it's beautiful.

I forgot about wallpaper. I hope to god that never comes back.
Every house I buy is full of it and it's a chore to remove.
Hate to tell you, but it's been back now for a few years. Large-pattern....mostly still on the design shows and in contemporary luxury homes....but they always set the trend. Yes, I remember when I bought my first house in 1984, wallpapering EVERY room was a must. There wasn't one room, including the hallway, that wasn't papered.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 5 days ago)

43,081 posts, read 76,642,306 times
Default White Ice appliances?

Probably not.

The death of stainless steel has been announced before.
Check out the date on this article:
So Long, Stainless: Whirlpool Introduces a New Finish For Premium Kitchens - Reviewed.com Refrigerators

13 months ago, and SS is Still king.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,584,137 times
Stainless steel appliances=institutions. They just remind me of nursing homes and hospitals (due to work) and I feel they're just "cold" metaphorically, well the fridge ought to be...
I like wallpaper, part of a room, but only a few rooms. It's warm and cozy, if the right pattern. My last house had it in a bedroom. With the wood floors, it was cozy.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 AM

270 posts, read 591,086 times
Please let it be the "hand scraped hardwood floors"!

I really hate the look. It's totally unknown over here in Northern Europe and when I saw it for the first time, I was like:"Oh my! That floor needs a good sanding and new finish immediately!"

Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,974,384 times
Mosaic glass tile backsplash! I see it again and again and again. Yet, I think it will be OUT in no time flat. I think Stainless is here to stay. Even back in the 80s when my mother got her custom kitchen done, stainless was THE thing. If Viking and Wolf suddenly become outdated, I'll eat my foot. No way will it be out of date.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM

8,527 posts, read 13,925,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Hate to tell you, but it's been back now for a few years. Large-pattern....mostly still on the design shows and in contemporary luxury homes....but they always set the trend. Yes, I remember when I bought my first house in 1984, wallpapering EVERY room was a must. There wasn't one room, including the hallway, that wasn't papered.
I bought a house about a year ago that was built in 1986 and the owners hadn't done any updating since they built the house. Also . . . they owned a wallpaper store. There was literally wallpaper in EVERY room. It was even inside the closets which I hadn't seen before and it was on the ceiling in the bathrooms. I've removed a considerable amount of it and plan on continuing to do so. Re-painting to change a room is SO much easier than re-wall papering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Probably not.

The death of stainless steel has been announced before.
Check out the date on this article:
So Long, Stainless: Whirlpool Introduces a New Finish For Premium Kitchens - Reviewed.com Refrigerators

13 months ago, and SS is Still king.
I agree. SS isn't going anywhere. It's been around for a long time and it's popularity ebbs and flows so other finishes may exceed it in popularity for a time but it will never totally go away.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:18 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,152,410 times
Quote:
Fun thread. For my part, even if some people consider it overdone, you'll have to pull the granite out of my cold, dead hands. Love the stuff!

What I cannot stand are these cheap hydra-headed ceiling fan/lights which builders (and many homeowners) put in every single room in the house.

Mind you, fans serve a purpose here and there but it's the ugly lights (which create ugly glare) that dismay.
I will agree on the fan lights, but the fans themselves are great. I have ceiling fans in every one of my downstairs rooms, and I haven't used my central A/C once this summer. I think I used it for about 4 days last summer.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,088,542 times
Dark woods I think will fall out of flavor soon. The dark cabinets with glass tile backsplash are starting to wind down quite a bit. I think people are going to drawn to open and airy. If you look at trends it seems to do this. The 70's had that dark wood flavor in most kitchens, then things lightened up a bit and then dark again. Only makes sense that people will want the opposite of what is popular now.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:31 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,152,410 times
Quote:
I forgot about wallpaper. I hope to god that never comes back.
Every house I buy is full of it and it's a chore to remove.
It doesn't matter to me if it comes back or not, I only like it in somebody else's house. I like wallpaper borders, but that's the only wallpaper I'll ever put up again. I had a devil of a time removing the wallpaper from the bedroom upstairs, and I'm in the process of removing it from the master bedroom. It's in the downstairs office/junk room and in the 2nd upstairs bedroom, both of which I plan to have re-drywalled because the walls are crappy (which is probably why they were wallpapered). After that, it will only in the kitchen and front vestibule, both of which are tolerable. My motto: Never again in any home I own!

Old 08-29-2013, 01:27 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,231,514 times
Stainless has been on the way out for years.

Faux distressed antique furniture is next on the chopping block. These people have spent thousands of dollars on this stuff and they are going to wake up one morning and realize that their house is filled with furniture intentionally manufactured to resemble garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate