Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,920,573 times

Advertisements

Interesting article:

Renting vs. Buying: The Realities of Home-Ownership * Get Rich Slowly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:09 AM

140 posts, read 536,058 times
That was a great article. I'm a 1st time homebuyer & renting for 10 years. I have sticker shock when I realized how much more I have to pay now that I'm buying (double than my rent). I'm not buying to get rich or flip it since those days are gone. I'm just tired of living in a place with people on top of me and not being able to truly decorate.

But what the article doesn't point out is that rent goes up each year and a mortgage stays the same. This works out well for me, as I'm in corp. america and get raises each year. Renting basically kept me even, but imagine if I had bought 10yrs ago and factored in 10yrs worth of raises, I would be better off financially.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:15 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy76 View Post
That was a great article. I'm a 1st time homebuyer & renting for 10 years. I have sticker shock when I realized how much more I have to pay now that I'm buying (double than my rent). I'm not buying to get rich or flip it since those days are gone. I'm just tired of living in a place with people on top of me and not being able to truly decorate.

But what the article doesn't point out is that rent goes up each year and a mortgage stays the same. This works out well for me, as I'm in corp. america and get raises each year. Renting basically kept me even, but imagine if I had bought 10yrs ago and factored in 10yrs worth of raises, I would be better off financially.

good points brandy. When I was younger renting was the best option for me, but now owning is better. It is not really financial, although i do try to maximize the value of my home, I just have other wants and needs that are better served by owning. If we could just stay in one home longer than 4 years it would be even better, but that doesn't seem possible lately.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The effects of acquisition cost and interest are gigantic, if you shop smart and then effectively manage down your term / rate it will have a huge difference.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
That was a good article..
But...
I'll take the extra expenses of owning to have the freedom to have a dog or a cat, to not have to leave for an owner to show a property, to have new carpet or linoleum I choose, and so many reasons.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 AM

Also, if you live in an area that has an historically better than average appreciation rate, buying is the way to go from a strictly financial perspective, assuming you're staying for a few years at least. Of course, none of us has a crystal ball, so that makes it a tough call.

For example, if I were to lose my job, I'd surely have to move to another area, which is always a risk.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 PM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
Quote:
But what the article doesn't point out is that rent goes up each year and a mortgage stays the same.
True, but (at least where I live), property taxes go up every year as does homeowner's insurance.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
True, but (at least where I live), property taxes go up every year as does homeowner's insurance.
Fair point.

Plus, not everyone raises the rent. My neighbors are renters; they've lived there for 5 years and the landlord hasn't raised the rent once in that timeframe. Not sure how common that is though.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Also, if you live in an area that has an historically better than average appreciation rate
For example:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You'd be hard pressed to justify renting over buying in this area, at least from a strictly financial perspective.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 09-04-2009, 01:13 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I don't know, I've lived in my house for 6 years, and my taxes are less now than when I bought it (and its worth at least as much still as I paid for it) I think my insurance has gone up $10 total over that time. My payment is actually $25 less than the first two years I owned the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate