Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times

Advertisements

Another consideration is if it sits for a year, then you have to pay a years worth of payments. Consider dropping the price equivalent to 6 months worth of mortgage payments. So if your payment is $1500, then drop the price $9000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM

9 posts, read 15,281 times
We did the cost comparison and just bit the bullet and dropped the price 10k 3 days ago. We are now priced lower than all comps. No showings yet, but fingers crossed! We have 6 weeks before we have to be in contract! Anyone want to buy a house in Spokane Valley, Wa? Lol

Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 AM

104 posts, read 290,444 times
hey jessica, i am in the same boat as you! i have been on the market over 3 mos. now with showings every week. no one made an offer. i lowered my price 2x most recently over the weekend. i am having an open house in a week or so. i feel at this point i have done everything i can and i just have to wait for the right buyer. i am now priced lower than everyone else in my town for the same comparable house and amenities. i am convinced it is not my house nor anything to do with my house but the buyers. i have spoken to my agent about this and she said all of the sellers in this town at this price range are going thru the same thing, and that this price range just takes a little longer than lower priced homes. i do think after my contract is up with my agent if there is no action, i will consider re-listing with a different agent/company. i still have 4 mos before i have to move so i will learn patience. i know everyone on here is always about the price reduction and there must be something wrong but, sometimes homes just don't sell right away. i wish you luck and hang in there, i know it takes a toll after awhile and something that you tried to keep impersonal becomes personal when the offers don't come in. i still constantly hear from friends neighbors relatives coworkers even real estate agents cannot believe my house isn't sold. every showing i get that it is beautiful shows nicely looks professionally staged etc. so what is wrong with these buyers?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:14 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Stage the house well. If the house is a "wow" house the small yard will not be a major deterrent, or the close neighbors. Some tasteful furniture that's symmetrically placed, color splashed around; make sure it's very clean. I think freshly painted or walls that look good help. Also, flooring. Either cleaned very well or replaced. A wreath on the door, clean doormats, etc. For showings, clean garbage out, no odors, open blinds to let light in, etc.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Are you paying for a home warranty for the buyers? If you are competing with new construction, it may help.

Don't get so caught up on the 5K. If the house sits for 4 months at $1500/month, you've lost that $5K anyway, depending how much interest you're paying.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:01 PM

189 posts, read 643,619 times
I just did a price reduction today as well. We're in similar situations - I've moved to another state, my husband is back home wrapping things up. He's going to move here within the next month, so it would be really nice if the house was sold with furniture still in it.

We've had over 30 showings, a couple of 2nd and 3rd showings, but no offers. There is some feedback we can't do anything about (I don't like the layout, this bedroom is too small, etc). The only useful feedback we got was that the front door could use a fresh coat of paint. After dumping $10k in new landscaping, driveway, sidewalk, and porch for "curb appeal" to put the house on the market, I'm drawing the line at sanding down and repainting the door. I refuse to believe that is the reason someone wouldn't buy a house. Besides, at some point, you have to draw the line and say "it is what it is" and stop investing in a property you want to get rid of.

So that leads me to believe the only issue is price. My realtor is a waste and hasn't been much of a help, but my husband likes him a lot. Since he's there and I'm not, he's calling the shots. But if a price reduction doesn't bring an offer within the next couple of weeks, I'm going to have to fire the realtor and start from scratch.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 PM

at some point perhaps it is the realtor. i wait days for a response to my text or email or for feedback after a showing......
i'm trying to decide if the realtor is not aggressive or if there is no buyers interested than is it the realtor's fault?

Old 09-19-2013, 02:49 PM

189 posts, read 643,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
at some point perhaps it is the realtor. i wait days for a response to my text or email or for feedback after a showing......
i'm trying to decide if the realtor is not aggressive or if there is no buyers interested than is it the realtor's fault?
I'm feeling that way too - I'm not sure what my seller's agent is doing to warrant his 5 1/2% (and I don't care that he has to split it.... he's still getting several thousands of dollars when the house sells). He hired a photographer and listed us on the MLS. Beyond that, I have no idea. He could be wheeling and dealing behind the scenes, but he never communicates what he is doing.

When I ask him a question, I get slick salesman answers, which pisses me off.

Me: What's the average time on market right now for our comps?
Him: Let me tell you how an average works.... you have a low and you have a high and throws everything off!

or

Me: We had 5 showings yesterday - was there any feedback that I can work with?
Him: The only feedback I care about is an offer. If we don't have an offer, we don't have feedback.

It's very frustrating.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:00 PM

wow that's rude and no excuse for it. on the positive side, he sounds aggressive!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 15,281 times
Sorry that you guys are in the same boat, but I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate