Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,428 times

Advertisements

Im In A Bind, I Have Rental Units And Have Some Midnight Move Out Tenants That Still Owe Me Money I Have Some In Court But Theystillmoved Out How Can I Collect My Money.

And If You Know A Lawyer In Pompano Beach Or Area That Is Qualified To Get It Done Let Me Know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 08:15 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,931,075 times
Take them to small claims court.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,654,185 times
Good luck.

Have you heard the expression, "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip?"

Old 11-16-2007, 09:08 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Good luck.

Have you heard the expression, "you can't squeeze blood from a turnip?"

I agree. Unless you think that they have any assets, your best bet may be to report it on the credit bureau. Then, maybe one day, they will contact to you make it good.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:27 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,871,515 times
Get out the phone book or google real estate attorney pompano beach. Call them.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:15 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,270,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBFLORIDA View Post
Im In A Bind, I Have Rental Units And Have Some Midnight Move Out Tenants That Still Owe Me Money I Have Some In Court But Theystillmoved Out How Can I Collect My Money.

And If You Know A Lawyer In Pompano Beach Or Area That Is Qualified To Get It Done Let Me Know
The take off in the middle of the night crowd is usually not found at the country club on Saturday mornings waiting for their tee-off time. That being said, you might be trying to get blood from a stone. Or, it might be worth it to invest a couple of hundred dollars and having a real estate attorney fire off a few letters (if you know where they are) explaining/detailing:

a) they broke the terms of the lease -- a legal contract
b) they owe
c) you will report it to all credit reporting agencies
d) you will report it . . . anywhere else you can
e) they can have extreme difficulty renting again
f) you will file suit
g) and so on

Depending on the amount, it might be worth the risk/reward. It might not. Once you set up a process, with an attorney, it will be cheaper to do it moving forward. I did this with an attorney, and it became very automated -- and it got more successful. The biggest problem was the "last month" and the security deposit. The late fee and a certified letter usually prevented that however.

I've been very successful in doing this, usually for 3 months or so rent. I've found that many of these people do this because they take for granted you won't do anything. I know of a good attorney, not specifically in Pompano Beach, but nearby -- a quality real estate attorney. Top notch attorney and an even better person. LMK if you need an intro.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 AM

131 posts, read 182,986 times
Default I've been through this

We have the same things going on. I found a credit check agency online and joined so they will run credit cks for us. If you un into a default in rent situation, go and get the landlord tenant rules in your state. Looks like your in Fl. So are we. When someone does not pay rent and is currently still occupying....give them the 3 day notice to quit or pay rent. After the 3 days and no money is paid. Go the court house and pay them their fee. They send a notice to the tenants address giving them 5 days to respond.(In writing) Either they pay or move out. If no respnse they are automatically in default
Then you must pay sheriff (75.00) who gives them 24 hours to vacate. After that he shows up and sees that they move. If monies are owed you will get a judgement for the funds. We send the judgement to the credit company who does our credit checks and they act as a collection agency. They will lein thier cars and even go for wage garnishment. You need to get as much info
as possible on your tenant application. i.e. car make , model, vin #, plate #
SSN#, DL #, employer. Any and all info helps with collection. The collection agency keeps half of what they collect. 1/2 is better than nothing and saves you the trouble of tracking these people. (The judgement from the court also shows up on their credit report.) Hope this helps . I'm going after 2 dead beats right now. I've had enough.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 32,097 times
Default Collections

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBFLORIDA View Post

I have a small agency in Indiana, and will be moving to Florida, most of my accounts are from landlords. If you are still having some problems, contact me. Ralph@arjaesolutions.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate