Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 PM

95 posts, read 169,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
It was intended to be.
You were obsessing about a trivial amount of money (for a prospective homeowner).
You must be a 1%er. Not everyone makes 10k an hour or something, it's NOT a trivial amount of money for people with an average salary. If only rich people could buy homes, then the other 99% of people could never buy. Gosh.

It's my first house, it's new to me and I'm still learning - HENCE, asking questions. YOU had to start somewhere before you knew how the market worked. You weren't born with this knowledge.

I didn't say I don't have 10k to put on the house - what I didn't want to do was something dumb like paying too much and getting stuck in a house if I need to sell later. I tend to do that, I paid full price for my car before I knew that I could even negotiate. It's called "learning", not sure how you get through life without learning.

Ugh, not sure why this annoyed me... this is an internet forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:20 PM

95 posts, read 169,939 times
Quote:
10K is a very small amount on a home, since you love it and I assume plan to stay for some time, just relax and enjoy it. I know how you feel, I had a minor panic period worrying if I overpaid after buying my house, but in time I looked around and saw my house was worth it, a few thousand is no big deal, I think it's normal to worry after such a large purchase. Four years later my house is worth about 40K more than I paid for it, I was very lucky to buy at the bottom of the market, but prices are still going up in many places. The main thing is you love it, you bought the house to enjoy it, so do just that.
THANK YOU. Good to know I'm feeling much more relieved now knowing I'm not the only one. I didn't think about the fact that it won't even make a big difference later since likely the prices will appreciate. We hope to stay for a while. I'm going to stop being such a worrywart, hah. So excited!

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,766 times
Your real estate agent should have done a market analysis for you and told you the house was over priced and your offer should have reflected that. really your payment will like at extra $50 buck a month with that 10k. I assume that the appraisal must have come in high enough to support that price. So if you like house and plan on staying a while then go for it

Old 09-22-2013, 08:52 AM

774 posts, read 1,164,425 times
My realtor told me that if you want to maximize your purchase dollars but you need to save some bucks, buy the least expensive home in the relatively expensive neighborhood. In general, your property value will sustain itself better in the better neighborhood as compared with a home of the same price in a less expensive neighborhood.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:21 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRoller View Post
My realtor told me that if you want to maximize your purchase dollars but you need to save some bucks, buy the least expensive home in the relatively expensive neighborhood. In general, your property value will sustain itself better in the better neighborhood as compared with a home of the same price in a less expensive neighborhood.
I agree with this advice and hate to echo others telling you, "we told you so." But....yeah, we told you so. youve already bought the home so theres nothing you can do now..just hope that other houses in your neighborhood get better updates so their values can increase along with yours in the future. Home buyers care first about neighborhood/location, then next is type/size/features of the house. Being the most expensive house in a neighborhood will definitely hurt you if you resell now.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbro2002 View Post
Your real estate agent should have done a market analysis for you and told you the house was over priced and your offer should have reflected that. really your payment will like at extra $50 buck a month with that 10k. I assume that the appraisal must have come in high enough to support that price. So if you like house and plan on staying a while then go for it
The OP started that the appraisal came in at the sales price. In most areas appraisers are still being careful not to overvalue. The house also had an excellent inspection, and may well have features that justify it's slightly higher price. This was a first time purchase, so buyer is probably feeling normal anxiety. There are so many variables that affect a homes value, it doesn't make sense to worry over 10K on a house that the buyer loves and plans to stay in long term.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans2 View Post
You must be a 1%er.
Wish I was.
Our family income was/is $82K. Middle class by my definition.
Bought our house for $482K. Cash.
Do not sweat $10K vis à vis the house.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM

220 posts, read 835,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans2 View Post
We've already signed a contract and gone through the option period, inspections, etc.

I realized, after all of this, that the house I'm buying is slightly more expensive than similar homes in the area. And by slightly, I mean maybe 8-10k more. The home is in good condition and had a great inspection. It's the perfect floor plan for us and I think my hubby and I may have fallen in love with the house before we even signed the contract.

I think the fact that we loved it might have clouded our judgement, we didn't even look at the other pricing in that neighborhood before we made the offer.

My question is this: Is it a bad idea to buy a house that's more expensive than the other homes in the area of similar layout, size, age? What if it's in better condition or has better landscaping, appliances? Do those things affect price usually?

And would we have problems selling later on?

P.S. And I should add that we got the appraisal back at the sales price, but I noticed the comps they used were over a year old (and there are tons of similar sales within the last few months, so why? )
Would you prefer if the sellers throw you an 70" HDTV? If the neighborhood median homes value at $20K and you are trying to buy a house in the same neighborhood at $30K, then you have a great reason to suspect...think twice etc.. However, 10K from a 200K home is nothing.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
It was intended to be.
You were obsessing about a trivial amount of money (for a prospective homeowner).
Kudos on being successful in formulating jerk responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate