Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 07:13 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
And in many areas a simple home purchase does not include going to the courthouse to review records and chain of title and easements. The title insurance company and insurance take care of that.
They did. The OP just ignored it. I feel sorry for the OP, but the information was available and disclosed prior to closing. We can debate if others should or could have discovered it, but the person with the ultimate job of reading what was disclosed, did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 09:02 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugged View Post
Hey Guys, I met two more attorney in the last two days. Both said it was a case of fraud based on Form 17. However they said suing may not be an option. Reasons:
Thanks for reporting back. This makes meeting with the easement holder all the more important. Again, as I wrote before, it may be much easier to resolve this than you think. Give it a shot. Even if you're required to plant trees and other native vegetation, it's not going to grow up overnight. It could be years before you'd notice any significant changes over what you have now.

Depending on your tolerance for aggravation, you may also want to still complain to the real estate agents--and brokers--and Seller involved (and maybe to any overseeing state or Realtor boards). Tell them that you've already met with a couple of lawyers and they both felt that the transaction was fraudulent due to the non-disclosure. (You don't need to mention that they thought that a remedy through a lawsuit was slim. Maybe they'll even suggest an offer to mitigate your perceived damages.) If either of the agents knew the disclosure was incorrect, they should have been required to warn you about it. Of course, you're in a weak position since they could easily deny even looking at the disclosure form, since it's a disclosure by the Seller...plus they could bring up that you were warned by the title company. (However, had you been my client, I would not only have warned you about the easement, but I would have made sure that you read it.)

I have dealt with a lot of similar conservation easements in my area and, invariably, they always sound worse than they really are to the landowner. You may find that it's not as much of an issue as you fear. Sure, it may not be ideal in your mind, but it may be something that you can easily live with. Best wishes in dealing with this.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 09-26-2013 at 09:15 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 09:05 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yikes. Sorry for your pain.
Tough life lesson.

Thanks for coming back with the outcome so far. So many people don't bother.
I agree.

I still think the OP should have a chat with their agent's principal broker about the situation. They aren't going to do anything since it sounds like in WA, fiduciary duties are light, but I still think that brokerage needs to know that they harmed their client. Especially since the agent said they didn't see anything unusual on the title report. I'm really hoping you had that in an email...

Old 09-26-2013, 11:16 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Appears you have a plan you can live with and move on.

It would be hard for many to do this like a Doctor I work with... he was in a similar situation and it became personal... lawyers told him he had a slim chance... just made the Doc more determined.

Doc filed his own lawsuit, became familiar with the law and after years won judgements from several individuals... including a lawyer!

I asked him if it was worth it... he frankly said he lost is shirt financially and his family suffered because of all the time and energy expended... time he could have spent buidling his practice and with his family.

Point is even with slim odds, sheer determination can overcome just about any obstacle for a price.

I agree with the resident Real Estate professionals... the solution might just be easier and not as bad as you think...

Now is the time to channel your best diplomatic skills and negotiate.

If I were in your spot, I would emphasize you are the innocent victim wanting to do the right because this is now your home and these folks are your neighbors.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM

15 posts, read 25,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree.

I'm really hoping you had that in an email...
I am back because I have found out a lot of things that the agent lied to me about

First of all I have an email from him stating that there is nothing out of the ordinary in the title

My question: Did you get a chance to look at the title report? Is there anything concerning that stands out there. I am guessing you would have already let us know if you see anything concerning.

His answer: There is nothing out of the ordinary in the title report as far as I can see.

I asked him about HOA CCR's

Question: I pasted the No.8 "Homeowners Association Review Period" from Optional Clauses Addendum to Purchase and Sale Agreement. Do you know which HOA this is?

His answer: if memory serves, she emailed that seller was unaware of any such info

Now the HOA is coming behind us to replace the roof.

and more....I wish I can sue him

Last edited by thugged; 10-02-2013 at 11:13 PM..

Old 10-02-2013, 11:23 PM

15 posts, read 25,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
>>>>And in many areas a simple home purchase does not include going to the courthouse to review records and chain of title and easements. The title insurance company and insurance take care of that.

>>>>They did. The OP just ignored it. I feel sorry for the OP, but the information was available and disclosed prior to closing. We can debate if others should or could have discovered it, but the person with the ultimate job of reading what was disclosed, did not.

OP: I did get the title report. But the title report is a joke. Its a linkage of numbers that you keep on going around and if you miss one number you miss the fact that your backyard is not a backyard

Old 10-02-2013, 11:37 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
I did get the title report. But the title report is a joke. Its a linkage of numbers that you keep on going around and if you miss one number you miss the fact that your backyard is not a backyard
Quote:
OK. Followed up with the title company and the NGPE is on the title. Its one of the 35+ recording numbers in the exceptions. We missed looking at some.
Whenever I purchase a property, each and every item flagged (exception) on the title report is read, reread and understood. I will check them off one-by-one as I am satisfied with it. If I am overwhelmed, too lazy, too tired, or just plain ignorant of the item, that is MY FAULT and MY FAULT ONLY if I ignore or skip it and it comes back to bite me in the rear.

You had at least 2 attorneys review the situation and you reported they felt it wasn't worth suing because it was questionable if you even had a case. Take their advice and don't make the same mistake again.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
His answer: There is nothing out of the ordinary in the title report as far as I can see.
This is a pretty bland answer with an important qualification. I certainly wouldn't call it a "lie". Maybe he thought these easements were rather commonplace, which very well could be the case in your area. (Or maybe he just missed it.) Still, he didn't do a good job of looking out for your interests.

Again, have you made any progress in talking with the easement holder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate