Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 AM

646 posts, read 927,448 times

Advertisements

Why are homes/apts not insulated properly? I dont understand why they were built like this. Is this a problem with older properties mostly?
In my apt, I can hear various noises from my neighbors, such as baby crying, alarm clock go off, phone ringing, people talking, arguing, howling, coughing, having intercourse. Shii, I feel like Im living with em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM

6,488 posts, read 10,369,123 times
Sometimes it is simply a matter of the builder trying to save $$. Sometimes the inspectors overlook it. Sometimes building codes are too lax. Too many reasons.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,346,620 times
It's not just the insulation, it's cheap, shoddy construction. I see this all the time. Old buildings were built better, w/ higher quality materials (despite what your contractor will tell you). If you want a quiet apartment, seek out older, concrete block construction that has concrete poured into the blocks. If you want a quiet condo or home, put in lots of soft furniture, carpet w/ thick padding, and go over the original sheet rock with one or even two layers of 3/4" fireproof sheet rock. Replace hollow core doors w/ solid wood doors (like in the old homes), and make sure you don't have lots of air gaps around anything. Windows are a huge source of noise infiltration, so rather than replace them w/ triple pane windows, which would cost you a fortune, simply install double pane windows INSIDE your original windows. This will give you double pane glass, an air space, and another set of double panes. Works great, costs little, and you can DIY. Just watch the air gaps.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,664,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
Why are homes/apts not insulated properly? I dont understand why they were built like this. Is this a problem with older properties mostly?
For older homes, its possible insulation didn't exist when they were built.

In newer apartments, its simply a cost factor. Why spend $50k insulating between apartments and get $1k rent per month when you can spend nothing and get $1k per month. Expenses vs profits.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:09 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,931,396 times
1. A great many older homes were not insulated.

2. Sound insulation is very different from thermal insulation.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,142,569 times
Note also that sound may be traveling by conduction. Sometimes condos are built with double walls or staggered stud walls...

Old 07-30-2014, 11:32 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,934,471 times
Or you could have my problem with a marine base 20 miles away blasting through out the night training.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,104,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Or you could have my problem with a marine base 20 miles away blasting through out the night training.
Try living two miles from an active Air Force Base. Especially back in the 70s when they were still flying F-106s. They used to adjust the afterburner by chaining the plane down on a circular pad and running th eengine up until the AB kicked in. This could go on for a couple hours. constant roar then BANG as the AB engages back to a roar then BANG, over and over. At least with the newer planes (F-15s) they had sound suppressors that could muffle the noise

Back to the original question. When coal or fuel oil was cheap it wasn't worth spending money on much insulation. back in the 60s and early 70s only 'all electric' houses had really good insulation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate