Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,137 times

Advertisements

Hello --
We have just received an appraisal that has the bank, the realtor, and other local market experts' aghast at how low it was. How do you report an appraiser to the Virginia State Board for incompetence, and what options do people generally have for getting a 'second' appraiser to come out and give a second, more competent opinion? Appraisals appear to be a bit subjective and you could really become a victim at the hands of an incompetent appraiser. A CMA pegged the property around $517,000, based on actual sales data from the last six months. The appraiser said $432,000 and the deal is near-dead because of this. Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM

189 posts, read 643,619 times
I had a bad appraiser in Illinois about 10 years ago that did something similar. Ended up appraising the house at $100k less than expected and it nearly killed the deal. It was a re-fi, not a new purchase, so I was very confused. How did my home lose $100k value in what was a very hot housing market in only 12 months? I asked a friend who was a realtor to do a quick market analysis and she agreed, his price was way off. I tried to find somewhere to report him, but eventually lost steam. I called a different bank, got approved, and had a different appraiser out within a week who gave an appraisal more inline with expectations.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2013, 10:44 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB1871 View Post
Hello --
We have just received an appraisal that has the bank, the realtor, and other local market experts' aghast at how low it was. How do you report an appraiser to the Virginia State Board for incompetence, and what options do people generally have for getting a 'second' appraiser to come out and give a second, more competent opinion? Appraisals appear to be a bit subjective and you could really become a victim at the hands of an incompetent appraiser. A CMA pegged the property around $517,000, based on actual sales data from the last six months. The appraiser said $432,000 and the deal is near-dead because of this. Help!!
The appraiser isn't going to lose his job because his appraisal came in to low to get your deal done. And that's how it should be.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Try to persuade your lender to just go with the CMA since it's more reliable in your eyes. Let us know how you do.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
The bank could ask for an appraisal review.
The agent that did the CMA could have offered the comps they used for the CMA to the appraiser.
The agent should look at the appraisal and see what comps were used and the adjustments for value and see where they differ from the CMA.

I'd agree there is some incompetence here. Which party is the incompetent one remains to be seen.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:13 PM

204 posts, read 338,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
How did my home lose $100k value in what was a very hot housing market in only 12 months?
How does one tell the difference between a hot market and a bubble? I think it's very hard to tell.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 AM

189 posts, read 643,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlyGoodInk View Post
How does one tell the difference between a hot market and a bubble? I think it's very hard to tell.
It was 10 years ago as I stated. It was quite obvious in retrospect that this particular market was hot and not just a bubble. In any case, it's a non issue because I got a different lender and different appraiser. I simply wanted the OP to know that yeah sometimes they come out with prices that don't make any sense. If you feel strongly that they are wrong, pursue getting a different appraisal.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:15 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
With what appraisals cost now, there should be some sort of feedback mechanism as long as someone can back up their claims.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,577 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Everyone thinks there house is worth more than it is, and values can go up or down very quickly. It's easy to blame the appraiser, but they are more careful now about being accurate rather than inflating the value to match the mortgage amount as they did back before the bubble burst.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:53 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
So who paid for the appraisal? Are you the seller?

I'm familiar with the buyer paying for the appraisal as it is part of the buyer's loan. A good appraiser has pix of all kinds of homes and lots of items re every home he uses as a comparable.

Did you compare the appaiser's comps with the agent's comps?

Generally, realtors know something about an appraiser. For instance, are they so busy that one had to be called in from the big city two hours away. And he could then have a totally different mindset. Don't know why since the comps would be what he works with but I've seen it happen often.

I've known appraisers (and home inspectors) surprisingly off their game because of health issues they didn't even know about yet....mini strokes, beginning alzheimers, big life problems, etc. Some even saying they really did do something when we knew they didn't.

If you are working with a local mortgage broker, that person will know these things too and can arrange for another appraisal. The thing is if you're the seller and the buyer had the appraisal ordered and he paid for it, he may not want to do another one.

On the other hand it may behoove you to do something like this yourself at some point if you are approaching a board with this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate