Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:25 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times

Advertisements

Dollerprod,

Sit down and do the math to avoid financial problems in the future. Calculate how much you will be able to afford to pay for a house each months (incl. all bills related to the house - HOA, CDD, taxes, mortgage, PMI). Don't forget to factor expenses related to kids.
I really don't think you will be able to go with conventional loan due to your low credit score. To get a pre-approval, lender will have to run your credit report check again otherwise they will give you pre-qualification letter which means nothing. FHA loan - only if you have 20% down to avoid PMI for the rest of your loan life.

Due to your low credit score, negative credit history and income you might be limited with the amount you can get from the lender. Does your fiancé has any income?
Can you wait a year before purchase? (7 years is a magic number and your last credit card issues will be gone, but it will take at least another year to bring your score up).

$$ x 2.5 income sounds good. I would rather look at it from another angle. What if you are going to loose your job, how much would you be able to pay? How long?

Also, make sure you will have enough money left on your account for closing and escrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
We bought for the first time about 12 years ago, and I worked with a loan officer at BOA that an attorney friend referred me to. We had been quoted an interest rate of 10% by someone we had just blindly called at the same same bank. The woman I actually went in and spoke with was wonderful. She liked helping people obtain mortgages and she did everything she could to get us a lower rate, which ended up being 5.5% on a 30 year, and then helped us refinance for 3.75% on a 7 year ARM. If you can find a good loan officer at the bank from which you wish to get a mortgage or a really good mortgage broker, they will assist you with credit issues.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
I realize you know that creditors look at the score and dont realy care about your unique situation but your not a good risk because you have unpaid bills despite what you may think. overall though your fine with fha, your total scores should average out to 620 thogh i have heard htey are upping fha to 640 so you may just have to shop around lenders.

yeah buying a first place is scary. when i started looking i had no idea if i could even get a mortgage but all worked out. wish you teh best of luck

Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
Homebey6er, dmk: It doesn't make sense for me to pay those old collections from a credit score point of view, and I will be stuck with a derogatory (albeit satisfied) account for more years in the future, rather than it coming off completely rather soon. I thought that too, then was strongly advised not to do so, as it could hurt your score more than anything, and my own research supported that.
With an attitude like that, I sure as hell wouldn't approve you for a mortgage. Pay your bills, deadbeat...

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollerprod View Post
It doesn't make sense for me to pay those old collections from a credit score point of view, and I will be stuck with a derogatory (albeit satisfied) account for more years in the future, rather than it coming off completely rather soon. I thought that too, then was strongly advised not to do so, as it could hurt your score more than anything, and my own research supported that.
You lost me, here. "It doesn't make sense for me to pay those old collections"? So, you know you owe the money, it is a debt that you incurred -- and yet, you somehow managed to gather $20,000 for a house, but not to pay your debts. So what if they are in collection? They ARE your debt, and you've been ignoring it for over 5 years. So, your credit score is more important to you than your obligation to fulfill your debts? Gee, that will give any lender a warm space in their heart for you. "As long as my credit report is ok, I don't care who gets screwed."

Does your fiance' work? Is yours the only income being counted, here? How is your fiance's credit?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

320 posts, read 480,601 times
OP:

As you explain your situation and finances, it sounds quite unlikely that you'll get pre-approval. Pay off your debts and your credit score will improve. If you put off purchasing for a few years, you will be in a better position to purchase a more desirable home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonpartisan1 View Post
That was a previous America. Welcome to the new one!
I suppose this is an apt description of the bubble years--Clinton/Bush's "ownership society," when even a dog could qualify for a mortgage. It's much more difficult to meet lending requirements today, as so many posts on this forum attest.

Last edited by Old Monkey; 10-10-2013 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-10-2013, 03:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Listen to Mr.Rational.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
I will admit I have no idea how credit scores are arrived at. I suspect black magic.

6 years and still dinged? I also suspect there are a few skeletons in the closet.

Perhaps a credit counselor in in your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate