Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 AM

311 posts, read 634,673 times

Advertisements

There's a house my husband and I are interested in. The entire house needs new flooring. Is it possible when writing up an offer/contract to include putting X amount of money in an escrow account to pay for flooring after close?

I've seen ads before that offer a roofing or flooring allowance because it needs to be replaced but wasn't sure how it works.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
As long as you and the seller can agree, you can approach it that way or any other way you like. If you have an agent, brainstorm with your agent to come up with different scenarios that will work for you, then present the best one for you first , having the others to fall back on if the seller doesn't accept the original idea.
Usually, an amount is taken off the purchase price or is allowed by the seller as a credit at closing but money can be set aside in escrow. If you go that route, I'd definitely get an attorney to write it up whether or not the use of an attorney for a real estate transaction is normal in your area.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
How is the need for new flooring decided? Is it your personal taste? Does the seller already know and has already reduced his price below neighboring homes sold?

How bad is the floor? Will it pass lender appraisal?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:43 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
Is it possible when writing up an offer/contract to include putting X amount of money in an escrow account to pay for flooring after close?
Sure, anything is possible. As bbronston noted, however, there may be other ways to accomplish what you want. A reduction in price or a credit back to you at closing may be simpler.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 AM

The seller knows it needs to be replaced. This is an estate sale. Then entire house is carpet, even the bathrooms and kitchen. All original, close to 40-50 years old. Not sure if it'd pass appraisal or not. It might since we'd be doing a conventional loan vs FHA so the inspections wouldn't be as strict from what I think I've read.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Sure, anything is possible. As bbronston noted, however, there may be other ways to accomplish what you want. A reduction in price or a credit back to you at closing may be simpler.
How does a credit back at closing work? Would we get a check?

Old 10-10-2013, 09:13 AM

120 posts, read 309,683 times
The credits are usually applied to your closing costs so it is like having more money in your (immediate) pocket.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:20 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Bound View Post
How does a credit back at closing work? Would we get a check?
Possibly. Why not just have the Seller replace most of the carpeting before closing? You could pick the color, etc. Adjust the purchase price as needed.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Possibly. Why not just have the Seller replace most of the carpeting before closing? You could pick the color, etc. Adjust the purchase price as needed.
It's an estate sale and I don't think the family handling it live near the home. Someone would need to be there when the flooring people came for measurements and to do the work.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I'm not sure as to how lenders currently feel about cash back at closing or escrowing money for repairs, but I do know that 2 years ago buyers getting checks from sellers was not allowable in many instances. Buyers and sellers had to sign a document that indicated no other money was being exchanged other than what appeared on HUD statements. Lenders also did not like escrows for repairs or replacements. I can't imagine this has changed much. If anything, I would guess it is more strict.

Before you make an offer I would recommend that you speak to your lender about this and what is/is not allowed.

BTW--there is a difference between an appraisal and an inspection. FHA does appraisals--not inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate