Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
As a buyer, I would say it's not in your best interest to bring your kids to a showing.

First, there's the possibility that they may break something.

Second, I've been to plenty of showings where the kids are constantly distracting the parents. So, they're not able to get a good look at the house.
My wife is pretty clumsy. And distracts me a lot. I should have left her at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 02:31 PM

6,428 posts, read 10,263,679 times
I am a realtor and a klutz, should I not be allowed to show houses ?? Gotta disagree with you on this one MikePRU.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:27 PM

189 posts, read 642,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a seller I don't even occupy the house when its for sale
Not all of us have that luxury.

My parents did, and once the 2X4 theft deterrent on the sliding glass door was removed. Guess who was blamed when they called the realtor? That's right... The child that came along on the single showing that happened between their visits at home. Lucky for them, no break in or damage occurred. But who wants the hassle of pursuing financial retribution if it had?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,230,107 times
Sawdust, you made me laugh out loud and I bet kids love being around you.

I would never have thought to tell buyers they couldn't bring their kids. I would have expected them and their realtor to keep watch over them. I worried more about thieving adults than bratty kids. I repped a bunch of you on this tread that include kids as family members, that's how I treated my boys. To this day I've never hired a babysitter for my kids. It might be too late now as they're 40 & 37, but ya never know.

Its a crime how some parents let their kids run rampant, but I'd never punish good parents and tell them no kids allowed. I'm sorry, but in those cases, its up to the realtor to help babysit. I expect that as much as I expect them to stay with the buyers and make sure they don't steal or unlock windows and doors. I always thought that was part of the job. When I waitressed, I felt it was my job to entertain unruly children that the parents didn't/couldn't handle. I could get a crying kid laughing in no time flat.

As a parent, I wanted my boys to see their possible new home. And leave them in the car??? NEVER! I suppose people who do that, also leave them alone in the car while they shop. If one parent stays with them, fine. I have to say I was shocked at how many here are against kids coming along, but I also understand not all kids are well behaved or have parents that watch them.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:51 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,586,810 times
Personally, I don't believe in kids seeing all the homes they might exchange for what they see to be their own perfectly good room. And perfectly good fort in the back yard.

I've known little kids who cried because they got lost in the conversation and thought they were moving right then...and forgot to bring their toys. What else is important? Forget furniture and clothes. It's toys.

However, I think if Realtors and agents see the kids disruptive in their vehicle they can ask for them to go in another car. (Like when they draw on the leather seat arms.)

And when the parents let the kids fan out to all the rooms as soon as they enter a house...or when the parents send children out to the backyard to play without a parent with them....the agent can say the owners have requested that children remain with the parents. And if a child destroys something...it would be the best time to take a break and continue another day when mom can get a sitter (maybe even someone from the real estate office). Sort of the business idea of an employee firing him/her self.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:30 PM

362 posts, read 542,348 times
We typically don't bring our kids to showings even though they're older (12 and 14). We just bought my mother's house for <$100K under market. You should have heard the complaining! We bought it because it was a good business decision. My husband and I were really glad that we didn't make our boys part of the decision-making process. I was having misgivings about moving to her house as it was, their input would have just exacerbated my doubts.

That said, our realtor has brought her kid to showings with us in the past. Her 14 year-old daughter is nice enough, but it makes me very uncomfortable to have her around when we're looking at a house.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:05 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,063,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageuse View Post

That said, our realtor has brought her kid to showings with us in the past. Her 14 year-old daughter is nice enough, but it makes me very uncomfortable to have her around when we're looking at a house.
That is just weird.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:08 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That is just weird.
Agreed. A 14 year old can stay home by themselves. I can see it if they were doing a quick showing to get you in and she had to take her daughter somewhere right after.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't understand what your problem is. Shopping for stuff is not an adult activity. It's not like the parents are taking the kids to a strip club, or fancy restaurant. There is no social obligation to make sure that kids are never seen by people who hate kids.

Children should not be left unattended in cars. Children should not be left unattended at playgrounds. It is much more appropriate for a parent to bring a child into a house showing than it is to leave them in the car or on the playground, unattended.

When sellers put their house on the market they open their house to buyers. Some buyers are going to have children with them. That's just part of selling a house.
I think you have to accept that many here do not agree with you. I personally had a well behaved child take apart a lamp in a display house many years ago. Things happen. If the kid breaks something, you will have to pay for it. If the kid falls and hurts himself, the owner can be sued. Do everyone a favor and keep your kids home. If you want to include them in the experience, then take them for a short visit right before you make the first offer. You will have already looked hard at the house, and so you can pay attention to the child.

When you are looking at houses for the first time, find a sitter.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,232,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayRing View Post
Not all of us have that luxury.

My parents did, and once the 2X4 theft deterrent on the sliding glass door was removed. Guess who was blamed when they called the realtor? That's right... The child that came along on the single showing that happened between their visits at home. Lucky for them, no break in or damage occurred. But who wants the hassle of pursuing financial retribution if it had?
Removed? Isn't it connected at one end?

The kid walked out of the house with it hidden in his pants?

No one noticed?

Where did the kid leave it?

Calling BS on this one.

If your parents were so concerned about "security", a simple metal bar on their slider wouldn't be their only protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate