Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 12:25 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
2 different posters here.
Exactly. One thinks it is common sense not to use someone's bathroom and you are rude if you do. The other does not think that.

So the one that thinks it is OK (you) would be just as rude and lacking common sense to the other as you think people sitting on your couch would be.

Yet somehow everyone is supposed to know these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:33 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Talking Sheesh. Ya needs a program to tell the players...

Who's on the sofa? What's on the table? I don't know's on the toilet?

Abbott & Costello: Who's On First - Live - YouTube

Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneishere View Post
You are wrong. Age is not a protected class according to the Fair Housing Laws. Family status is protected, but that means that a seller cannot refuse to sell to someone just because he/she is married, single, divorced, etc.

Showing instructions against children have noting to do with the Fair Housing Laws, the seller is not refusing to sell a house because the potential buyer has children. The seller is just refusing to show his property to anyone bringing children to the showing, due to all the potential risk, damage and liabilities.
That sounds an awful like the seller is DISCRIMINATING against CHILDREN when showing or having his property shown.

Familial Status is protected by Fair Housing and that includes children AND that includes advertising, as well.

Fair Housing Act: What You Need to Know - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
No, it's not just you. The thought makes me sick as well. I'm amazed at the number of people who feel like they're entitled to sit on your furniture, let their kids eat in the house, profile the sellers, etc.

I have been in probably a hundred houses prior to buying four properties. Two were relocations out of state with a huge metro area to choose from, so we had to look at multiple houses in multiple locations. Never did I sit on anyone's furniture or at their table or use their bathroom. It simply wouldn't have occurred to me to be that rude.

And I always take off my shoes. I've always had a no-shoes house, so it's automatic. Fortunately, of all the houses I've looked at, I've never seen one with gross floors.
Agree~ Same here I have never sat or touched walls sit at table while viewing a home or used the bathroom...

Old 10-24-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneishere View Post
nightcrawler, I completely agree with you and understand what you are saying.

When viewing houses, if the owners requested that we removed our shoes, we just used the disposable slip on shoes that we always carried with us; easy and drama-free. And we never touched anything that was not part of the sale and never sit on their furniture; that would just be rude and tacky.

If the house is for sale, all the potential buyers looking at it are just that, "potential" buyers. Until they close on the house, it is still my property, my mortgage and my rules.

And one of my rules when our house was for sale years ago was "please, do not bring kids to the showing". It was conveyed to the Centralized Showing Service used by my realtor, and all the buyers' agents were notified of that when making an appointment to see the house. Also, my realtor was present at the showings to enforce our rules. And our house sold very fast, no problems at all.

Agree! When we have sold our homes in the past same deal, please no shoes only per approve buyers only. One home we required no kids that was due to empty in ground pool out back, we were more concern with unattended child falling in since it wasn't gated, the yard was...This home sold fast in under two weeks the other three within a a couple of months...I've always view the rules like no shoes , kids etc a sign the home is loved well taken care of, so I never had issues with these said rules...

Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 PM

Let's say that I showed 6 houses today. Of those 6, my buyers are going to be turned off by 4 because of the layout or the smell or just not a house for them. Those 4 homes, we are going to be in and out of in about 10 minutes each.

Let's say house #5, they are thinking about...we may be there 30 minutes. We will spend more time looking in the cabinets and closets, walking around the house, mulling over the pros and cons and the buyer will be thinking of how their furntiture may work in the house.

Let's say house #6 is THE ONE! We may spend an hour in that house. And since we WILL be there that long, we may sit on the sofa, use the bathroom, etc., etc.

So, if your house isn't the one my buyers like, we most likely will NOT sit on your sofa or use your restroom!

On the other hand, if my buyers are considering your house, they will spend more time there and most likely will sit on the sofa, etc. That is just the way it is. You may not like it. You may not think it is common courtesy but that is just the way it is.

And...again...when we are there for the 3 hours it takes to do the inspections, there are plenty of things we will do that you probably don't want to know about!

Oh yhea...would it bother you to know that some buyers want to sit on your toilet to see if it is too small or too high?!!

(insert evil laugh here)

Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Let's say that I showed 6 houses today. Of those 6, my buyers are going to be turned off by 4 because of the layout or the smell or just not a house for them. Those 4 homes, we are going to be in and out of in about 10 minutes each.

Let's say house #5, they are thinking about...we may be there 30 minutes. We will spend more time looking in the cabinets and closets, walking around the house, mulling over the pros and cons and the buyer will be thinking of how their furntiture may work in the house.

Let's say house #6 is THE ONE! We may spend an hour in that house. And since we WILL be there that long, we may sit on the sofa, use the bathroom, etc., etc.

So, if your house isn't the one my buyers like, we most likely will NOT sit on your sofa or use your restroom!

On the other hand, if my buyers are considering your house, they will spend more time there and most likely will sit on the sofa, etc. That is just the way it is. You may not like it. You may not think it is common courtesy but that is just the way it is.

And...again...when we are there for the 3 hours it takes to do the inspections, there are plenty of things we will do that you probably don't want to know about!

Oh yhea...would it bother you to know that some buyers want to sit on your toilet to see if it is too small or too high?!!

(insert evil laugh here)

a realtor that thinks it's cute to insert an......evil laugh......(at the end of their statement ) gives realtors a bad name.

It sure doesn't make them sound very professional.

I doubt most realtors who post would stoop that low just to ...........rub a point in !

Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
a realtor that thinks it's cute to insert an......evil laugh......(at the end of their statement ) gives realtors a bad name.

It sure doesn't make them sound very professional.

I doubt most realtors who post would stoop that low just to ...........rub a point in !
That's actually one my interview questions for realtors. They have to show me their evil laugh. And it has to be pretty evil.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 PM

I've never had a home inspections take three hours or have a realtor / buyer peresent when it being inspected! Nor have I ever been present at said home I was buying during a inspections ....We've have own five home and in different states throughout our years...

Old 10-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
That's actually one my interview questions for realtors. They have to show me their evil laugh. And it has to be pretty evil.
Thanks manderly6!

I like my evil laugh! And I'm picky about people that become my clients so if they don't have an evil laugh of their own...they are not getting into my car! And yes, I allow them to sit on the seats and bring their children!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate