Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 05:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I beat her with a stick and then buried her under the house.
I'm betting you gave a "wicked laugh" of approval
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:11 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
First of all, I'm not that old. Things are pretty much the same around raising kids as when I grew up, with the exception of kids in my generation (and I was born in 75) weren't shooting up their teachers, building bombs in their bedrooms and killing their parents.

My oldest got out of high school and off to college early. My youngest will probably do the same if we're lucky. I've never heard ANYTHING but how well behaved and well mannered they are. They mind their manners, respect their elders and do their fair share of work around the house (call it being a slave driver if you want to). They know that we pay the cost to be the boss and when they're all grown and in their own homes they can do things any way they choose but I hope to GOD they realize just like their dad and I did that the way they were raised is the right way because no one is pregnant out of wedlock, no one has been brought home by the police, no one has ever been in trouble with the law, used any illicit drug, drank alcohol or had sex. I value my children's opinions on things but only when I ask them for it, but their opinions mean absolutely nothing in the end when I am solely responsible for what happens to them ultimately. They can say oops... wrong answer and no one is going to hold them accountable. Their father and I don't have that luxury. We are accountable whether we like it or not and even you would look at me crazy if I said... but the kids thought it was a good idea.

Children are not little adults, they are CHILDREN. They're not given the responsibilities of adults for a reason. They don't have the decision making capability of adults and I don't care what anyone says, your 10 year old just can't make a decent argument that means anything for/against a certain home. WHEN you have kids you can treat them as little versions of you if you want to, but look at all the ones who have been treated like little adults and see how you like it then. That's AFTER you have the responsibility of rearing your own children because everyone who doesn't have kids always has an opinion of what a parent should do when they don't have a clue.

your last paragraph was a true jewel !

Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
( 3rd to last paragraph ).........and you said NOTHING ?( you never mentioned you did )

If so, that says as much about you as it does the jerk who did it.

Last edited by nightcrawler; 10-26-2013 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 07:37 PM

Well, I was having company many years ago, you know how you always wonder, will someone open my medicine cabinet and look what I have?

So I emptied everything out from the bottom of my vanity and medicine cabinet and put in a box in my bedroom closet. Then I had a bag of marbles that I put inside my medicine cabinet.............................so if anyone opend my medicine cabinet all the marbles would have come tumbling out.

sorry to say, no one was that nosey, anyone that used my bathroom mustn't have opened my medicine cabinet.

drats, I actually though it would have been fun to bust someone for that.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
your last paragraph was a true jewel !

I also agree.

I have 3 boys and I think I'm a fairy "cool papa", but no, a 10 year old is not going to sway me one way or the other, I don't care how much they like the yard for the 15 minutes they were there...

I can understand a teen saying something along the lines of, "how will I get to college from here", "can I get a part time job close by".........NOT something like, I like color of the walls...

Old 10-26-2013, 08:59 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
I'm betting you gave a "wicked laugh" of approval
AFTER I buried the body under the house, I moved on to the next client, who was WAITING on the seller's sofa.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,006 times
During one showing of my house, I was sitting in my car right down the street, so I know these were the only people in the house at this time. The viewer was a woman with two young kids. A few hours later I noticed that a decorative bowl in one of the bedrooms was missing about half of the marbles that had been in it. Of course, there's no proving that the realtor didn't take them, but I do know to whom they would have been most attractive.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:55 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Well, I was having company many years ago, you know how you always wonder, will someone open my medicine cabinet and look what I have?

So I emptied everything out from the bottom of my vanity and medicine cabinet and put in a box in my bedroom closet. Then I had a bag of marbles that I put inside my medicine cabinet.............................so if anyone opend my medicine cabinet all the marbles would have come tumbling out.

I've seen that tactic suggested toward certain in-laws --- particularly mother-in-laws. They were alleged to have snooped in medicine cabinets, closets, even the goody drawer in the nightstand. So, the marble trick was deployed, as well as things like pamphlets for nursing homes left in the nightstand, and stacking brooms, boxes and other light fall-ables in the closet that would come tumbling out when she opened the door to snoop in your clothes.

Back to the subject of allowing kids a voice in choosing a house. *shrug* My parents knew they had to take our needs into account because of how it would impact them. Stick your kids into a squashed environment and you know it will become hell. Not allow a teen girl to have her own room, because of her growing independence and need for privacy? Oh, more hell. Choose a house where the kids' rooms are at the same end as the parents? There goes your love life.

I blame the home shows that declare the absolute necessity to make your home a twee nesting site. To us kids, a house was a house. We didn't know where we would live until our parents told us that we were moving in. The first day, it was exciting - explore the house, give your approval or sneer at the size of the yard, check out the neighborhood to scope out potential bullies or friends, then settle in and make it your own. It wasn't that complicated. If we complained to our parents about the house (a thought that never entered my mind) I know the answer would have been "when you move out and get a job, you can pick your own house. Your father works hard to put a roof over your head, I don't want to hear any complaints."

Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
I've seen that tactic suggested toward certain in-laws --- particularly mother-in-laws. They were alleged to have snooped in medicine cabinets, closets, even the goody drawer in the nightstand. So, the marble trick was deployed, as well as things like pamphlets for nursing homes left in the nightstand, and stacking brooms, boxes and other light fall-ables in the closet that would come tumbling out when she opened the door to snoop in your clothes.

Back to the subject of allowing kids a voice in choosing a house. *shrug* My parents knew they had to take our needs into account because of how it would impact them. Stick your kids into a squashed environment and you know it will become hell. Not allow a teen girl to have her own room, because of her growing independence and need for privacy? Oh, more hell. Choose a house where the kids' rooms are at the same end as the parents? There goes your love life.

I blame the home shows that declare the absolute necessity to make your home a twee nesting site. To us kids, a house was a house. We didn't know where we would live until our parents told us that we were moving in. The first day, it was exciting - explore the house, give your approval or sneer at the size of the yard, check out the neighborhood to scope out potential bullies or friends, then settle in and make it your own. It wasn't that complicated. If we complained to our parents about the house (a thought that never entered my mind) I know the answer would have been "when you move out and get a job, you can pick your own house. Your father works hard to put a roof over your head, I don't want to hear any complaints."

mine either.
we must be distant relatives, cause my mother used to say the same thing.!!!

so when I was old enough before I got married when the (dinasuars roamed), I did finally move to where "I" wanted to live..............................oh how wonderful that was....

and then when I had a house many years ago also, I was the same way with my sons, although they were toddlers, so they bascially had no opinion. (oh those were the good old days).

Old 10-27-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
AFTER I buried the body under the house, I moved on to the next client, who was WAITING on the seller's sofa.

with a terrified look on her face and you got closer.....................

sounds like something from "realtor horror story"..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate