Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times

Advertisements

Is this abnormal? We have been bringing our two school age children with us to showings when we see houses as we don't have sitters nearby. Then we have our realtor, so there are 5 people going into the house to look at it. Is the norm to find someone to watch the kids? Mine are very well behaved, but sometimes I notice that sellers wait in the cars on the street and I wonder if they are mad we have our children with us. We don't allow them to touch ANYTHING!!

Just curious about your view on both sides selling and looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM

189 posts, read 643,373 times
Everyone thinks their kids are well behaved.

Look, I understand the realities of life make finding a sitter or somewhere to leave the kids impossible. But as a seller, I don't want someone else's kids in my home. I don't know you. I don't know your kids. You say they are well behaved, but your definition of behaved may differ from mine. I don't know if they are touching anything. I don't know if they are leaving handprints on my my appliances or walls or door jams. You are looking at a house to purchase and live in - how closely are you actually looking at your kids? For those reasons, I don't like it, but I know that it happens. I have no idea if it's uncommon or even inappropriate.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM

I could see homeowners having more of a problem with toddlers though, no? These are children who are school age, even if we could find a sitter, we would still choose to bring them back for the second showing as we do value their opinion since it will be their home too.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Is this abnormal?
It's rude.

If they aren't old enough to be left alone in the car for the 30 minutes you go in
then leave them home.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,107 times
as a seller it doesn't bother me. I have kids. I try not to bring my kids with me when I look at houses because mine are quite young and i'd rather not be distracted.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:25 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
I'm in agreement with ClayRing, but would also agree that if you're SERIOUSLY considering an offer, and really need to get the kid's approval (which is kinda nuts to me, but I don't have kids), bring them along for the very last showing, which should be very brief.

If I were a realtor, I'd probably think it's rude. After all, this is a business transaction. A good realtor is a professional, and they deserve to be treated as such.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,265,204 times
I dont perceive it be rude or inconsiderate at all. I think its perfectly acceptable. If sellers don't like it, tough luck...I'd use a 4 letter word here but it would be starred out. I am the buyer, the customer, its my way or the highway. I would never even consider getting a sitter to look at a house. I take my kids everywhere that its appropriate to take them, and its not at all inappropriate to bring them along.

You will find a lot of folks are stuck up snots when it comes to kids, and they really need to get over it and find other ways to be offended. I would never expect someone not to bring their kids, and I would have choice words for someone who objected.

If they broke something or messed anything up, I would pay for it no questions asked....

Agents dont like kids b/c they have opinions or they whine and they make the agents life a little harder than the perfectly easy life they already have...when I'm looking, I'm the customer - its not my job to make someone's life easier at my expense.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
I don't think kids have any need to be at showings. Even with "well behaved" kids, you can't focus on the houses and remember what you need to remember. Kids are too much of a distraction.

And no one needs kids' opinions about buying a house. It's not their money. Probably more than 95% of my clients show the kids the house after closing. Kids aren't there for the showings, nor the inspections, nor the final walk. They look at houses during the day, WHEN KIDS ARE IN SCHOOL, and they don't need a babysitter except for their teacher.

One of my first clients ever, brought their kids to view the house. The kids hated it for no other reason than it wasn't the other house that was already under contract. These buyers backed out because of the kids. I asked them, "Who's buying this house, you or the kids?" They got it and the kids didn't see another house until closing.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
I would think that the BUYER does not want to be distracted by children when making a decision of this magnitude.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Not all people can look at houses during the day while kids are in school. Jobs don't allow that kind of flexibility.

But I agree it can be distracting a little, however, it wont be distracting enough to keep us from buying a house. Thanks everyone for the opinions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate