Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 PM

460 posts, read 775,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebeloves View Post

1) The cost for electric was much higher due to how incredibly HOT they get, and therefore, how much our air conditioner had to work. The AC unit was top of the line and purchased when we bought the home (no, it did not come with one).
This is a bit of a concern. I assume that the insulation is nothing like what you get in a conventional or modular home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 02:38 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,081,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
This is a bit of a concern. I assume that the insulation is nothing like what you get in a conventional or modular home.
Insulation is a factor whether it be a manufactured or stick built. The suggested values have changed with age.
I will say that the ones we have are so old I had to laugh at the thickness of the insulation but for the sweltering hot months in Fl when we're not here, the AC is left on 83 and my bill runs between $10 and $15 a month.
The newer the home the better the insulation...like a stick built, position, roofing and whether or not there are trees...all important factors.
The stereotype of an old 50 yr old single wide 'tin can' sitting out on a bare wasteland exists but it's not what most people would be considering purchasing these days.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,271,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Insulation is a factor whether it be a manufactured or stick built. The suggested values have changed with age.
I will say that the ones we have are so old I had to laugh at the thickness of the insulation but for the sweltering hot months in Fl when we're not here, the AC is left on 83 and my bill runs between $10 and $15 a month.
The newer the home the better the insulation...like a stick built, position, roofing and whether or not there are trees...all important factors.
The stereotype of an old 50 yr old single wide 'tin can' sitting out on a bare wasteland exists but it's not what most people would be considering purchasing these days.
I actually think the decades-old singlewides are cute if they're kept up well and brightly painted. They look like house boats that floated up onto the land. I have this bizarre obsession with tiny homes, though.

There is a beautiful tiny retirement community of singewides on the bayou in Tarpon Springs FL. The houses around it go for $1 million, so I'd imagine the mobiles and their lots are pricey. The residents keep their little antique trailers maintained like treasures. That's hardly a typical singlewide trailer park, though.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,779,545 times
I always thought mobile homes were "nasty" (id never,ever seen one in Nj)until I actually lived in one in Nc.
It was cleaner,more modern,and much less expensive than any garbage apt I lived in in Jersey.

Come to think of it,I would have rather lived in the mobile home than the apts in Nj,which many are from the late 1700's to early 1900's.
Same break down problems.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,857,634 times
I got interested in mobile homes for a number of reasons. The first reason was the quality of construction on new homes. I've seen videos that claim that the newer homes go up in flames much faster because there is so much particle board type materials used. Makes sense. The house I own now, which was built in the 70's has a roof deck that is all planks. You will not find that, even on expensive homes anymore. I've also seen and heard examples of very poor quality destruction and cost cutting by builders.

Plus, the mobile homes I've seen in many cases hold up pretty well. I also like the idea of being able to get at the plumbing under the house. Everything in Texas is on a slab, and if you have a plumbing problem below floor level, you're looking at big bucks. PLus from what I've seen, some manufacturers of mobiles seem to really be trying to build better quality stuff. And lastly, we have a lot of "immigrant labor" Lots of inexperience. That's not going to contribute to high quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate