Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times

Advertisements

In Utah many houses seem to have either downdraft range ventilation or no ventilation at all.
The downdraft systems are marginal IMO and nothing at all.... - well, all I'd want to do in such a kitchen is boil water. Why anybody would design such a kitchen is beyond me, but it's widely done.

Can anybody comment on the kind of discounting you'd expect on this feature (or lack thereof)? IOW, how to discount against an otherwise comparable house with a proper, outside vented range hood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,923,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
In Utah many houses seem to have either downdraft range ventilation or no ventilation at all.
The downdraft systems are marginal IMO and nothing at all.... - well, all I'd want to do in such a kitchen is boil water. Why anybody would design such a kitchen is beyond me, but it's widely done.

Can anybody comment on the kind of discounting you'd expect on this feature (or lack thereof)? IOW, how to discount against an otherwise comparable house with a proper, outside vented range hood?
If it's widely done in your market, why would it be a discount? I would see things the other way around. Houses with updated kitchen vent system would be a plus for selling point.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If it's widely done in your market, why would it be a discount?
Hmmm, interesting perspective. To be clear, we're talking about a minority of cases at the price point of interest, say 25% of the market. But that's still a big enough slice that there might be houses of interest that would be otherwise OK. And to be even clearer, we're talking about a rangetop on a free standing counter in the middle of largish, open kitchens with adjoining family room or whatever. So grease fumes would unavoidably fill the house. When the majority of houses do have reasonable ventilation I'd think that those don't would be discounted.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Maybe someone in UT can explain why this seems to be...

In my experience they're only used as a last resort choice due to design issues like stoves in islands
or at interior walls where it isn't practical to vent up or through an outside wall.

Quote:
Can anybody comment on the kind of discounting you'd expect on this feature...?
What sj said: "If it's widely done in your market..."

Old 10-15-2013, 11:45 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,753,223 times
It's usually done because the range is not placed on outside wall where it could be vented to the outside.

Since it's common to have the type of range vent you describe, it means it's accepted in the market. Because you don't like it, doesn't mean you discount for it. And how much would you want to discount ? The cost of remodeling the kitchen to get the range and / or the venting to an outside wall ? You either move the stove to an outside wall or you get the venting to go through a chase in the walls to the outside. Major expense either way, i.e. renovation of the kitchen.

This it the type of thing where you either walk away from the house or you just figure it's going to be something you might want to do after you buy the place.

It's not the type of thing that you tell the seller, who has been living with it for years, that you want a price reduction because you don't like it. It's like looking at a house with brand new carpeting and you hate carpeting. You don't ask the seller to take a price reduction of several thousand so you can install hardwood floors more to your liking.

The perfect house doesn't exist unless you have the unlimited financial means to build it from scratch. You're buying a used house. Things you don't like are just things you decide if you can live with or things you can replace down the road. These cosmetic things are not health or safety issues. They are personal preference items. IMO, I don't see them as discountable.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:47 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,246 times
Easy answer. The amount is $0. This is a pretty inconsequential item in a home.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Easy answer. The amount is $0. This is a pretty inconsequential item in a home.
Agreed. In most cases there would not even be a discount for no stove at all.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:22 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Since a down draft stove costs lots more than a conventional stove, your chances of getting a discount are about zero.

Any house you buy is probably going to need at least some minor remodeling. Just budget for it.

If you can not tolerate a down draft stove, then pass on those houses.

I've lived with a down draft stove. I cook a lot. There was never any issue with fumes or grease and the down draft worked very well. So, you might be worried about nothing.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Downdrafts can be vented to the outside. Also realize you might be able to add a popup vent that connects to the exterior downdraft vent. It pops up to mayb 10' high and when turned on, it suctions the air toward the vent and pulls it out. This would be for an island that has 2-3' of extra space behind a built in cooktop.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My house in UT came with no vent at all. The stove was on an inside wall, no room for it on the short outside wall with the door. I added a hood that recycled the air (after I removed the cabinets above the stove).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate