Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:48 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times

Advertisements

They can ask you to be preapproved by a certain bank, but they can not force you to go forward with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 10:56 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Does the seller work in the mortgage industry? I wonder if the seller or a close relative works for Lender XYZ and would be getting special handling because of that. Also true of the closing agent -- they may be in a position to have favors done for them that cuts down their costs. #3, having loan approval within a certain period of time, isn't a biggie in my book, although the time frame seems a little short, but again, that depends on when the proposed closing date was.

If you wanted the house, there was nothing stopping you from countering back, removing those contingencies and extending the loan approval time a few days. It may have been accepted -- they may have been fishing, or still be smarting over the last escrow falling through, and were wanting to exert some control. Seems to me that the real estate agents in this deal weren't managing the expectations very well.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
So many people have said you can't force someone to use a specific lender (which I agree with). What would that mean if that contract was signed? Would the entire contract be invalid or just that part?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Something else I didn't see anyone mention. Even if they can't require you to use a specific lender, they can reject your offer based on the lender you are using, which, in effect, does the same thing. I wouldn't do this as a seller unless the seller's market is very competitive.

But we have a list of "bad" lenders hanging up in our office, and we have (on properties we own ourselves) rejected offers before based on the buyer having a letter of loan approval from one of those lenders. And we have told buyers (our own clients) before that they either needed to find another lender or find another agent, because we weren't willing to work with the lender they wanted to use.

There are some really bad lenders out there, who I don't know how they stay in business.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:35 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
If you want to pay CASH, then what would they want you to do?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
If you want to pay CASH, then what would they want you to do?
Most likely provide proof of funds.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
They can ask you to be preapproved by a certain bank, but they can not force you to go forward with them.

Perhaps if this post was put in bold and letters a foot high, posters would get the message.

Seems many are talking right past this post.

This post says it all.............short and simple !

Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
The builder did, however, make it very difficult if you did not use their lender by requiring a much larger down payment.
The builder is not the one that sets the down payment. That is the lender, or lending regulations for the type of loan you are getting.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:07 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Perhaps if this post was put in bold and letters a foot high, posters would get the message.

Seems many are talking right past this post.

This post says it all.............short and simple !
I am not certain it's accurate, if the seller is a private individual. A seller can require whatever they like as long as they are not discriminatory and not part of the licensed real estate community where a whole bunch of other initial laws come into play.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I am not certain it's accurate, if the seller is a private individual. A seller can require whatever they like as long as they are not discriminatory and not part of the licensed real estate community where a whole bunch of other initial laws come into play.

Ding! Winner, Winner! Chicken Dinner!

Yes, the private seller is not held to the same standards as regulated sellers.

I have a far greater issue with sellers requiring the buyer to use their attorney for title work and closing. Which is legal, as long as the seller compounds the conflict of interest by paying the attorney. Yikes! And Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate