Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

I like ours, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
BS.
There I made the call.

So, if I buy next to you, it is OK to hold 24/7 rock concerts, open a biker bar or a rendering plant or medical waste landfill?

I don't live in an HOA neighborhood, and there are still deed covenants and zoning restrictions. As is the case in almost any incorporated area.
The 1st two are noisy & will introduce a lot of traffic that will make it crowded right in front of your house, the last one also will be noisy due to the abundance of 18-wheelers, and will also probably introduce toxic waste into the water supply you drink or make it hard to breathe the air around you.

A neighbor's lawn not looking like a putting green or having a house painted pink instead of tan or gray isn't going to do anything of the sort. (That said, TALL TALL grass that could cause rats to be abundant & end up in your yard, that's probably a legitimate concern.) The neighbor's 4 unfixed cars up on cinder blocks, while not beautiful I will agree, aren't going to taint your ability to enjoy your OWN place or pollute the air or make it noisy.

LRH

Last edited by shyguylh; 10-21-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 10-21-2013, 10:33 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
The 1st two are noisy & will introduce a lot of traffic that will make it crowded right in front of your house, the last one also will be noisy due to the abundance of 18-wheelers, and will also probably introduce toxic waste into the water supply you drink or make it hard to breathe the air around you.

A neighbor's lawn not looking like a putting green or having a house painted pink instead of tan or gray isn't going to do anything of the sort. (That said, TALL TALL grass that could cause rats to be abundant & end up in your yard, that's probably a legitimate concern.) The neighbor's 4 unfixed cars up on cinder blocks, while not beautiful I will agree, aren't going to taint your ability to enjoy your OWN place or pollute the air or make it noisy.

LRH
Glad I didn't buy a house next to you. My neighbors take pride in the appearance.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:10 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Glad I didn't buy a house next to you. My neighbors take pride in the appearance.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

LRH
This response it more lucid than the rant, "I think HOAs should be against the law, with regards to home OWNERSHIP."
But, it still boils down to someone else making arbitrary choices for the property owner, doesn't it?
I think people should have the right to choose to enter into ownership in an association. A great many homeowners prefer that choice, and it should not be arbitrarily outlawed.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:52 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But, it still boils down to someone else making arbitrary choices for the property owner, doesn't it?
No... it doesn't. If anything, the zoning and other laws common elsewhere are LESS arbitrary
than what can and too often does happen with HOA's which like that certain little girl in the fairy tale
might sometimes be very, very good but when not it is quite horrid.

Quote:
A great many homeowners prefer that choice...
No... not so much. A greater number are essentially forced into accepting that as the ownership and governance reality.
That so many are coerced into accepting this should NEVER be mistaken for preferring it.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No... not so much. A greater number are essentially forced into accepting that as the ownership and governance reality.
That so many are coerced into accepting this should NEVER be mistaken for preferring it.
Exactly, and more to the point, why would anyone WANT to? The only reason I can get is because they think it's any of their business what their NEIGHBORS are doing, & associations give them a means to meddle around in other people's business.

I can understand liking a nice neighborhood & such to a certain degree, it pleases the eyes as you walk around it & such. However, to care so much that your neighbor has a golf course for a lawn, that everyone's house all has to be the same color or that someone who chooses to show a little color & paint their house green to give it some character is something that is so offensive to you, to get so worked up because someone else on THEIR OWN PROPERTY has a couple of cars laying around that they're working on, it just seems so shallow. To think that any of that is any of your business & to get so worked up about it is the absolute height of shallow.

All of that said, if people want to join up with others of like-minded thinking and be all snotty and uppity about such petty & ridiculous things & have an exclusive club that you can only join if you agree with them, then more power to them (so long as plenty of non-HOA choices remain vs HOAs being dominant), but don't slap the OWNERSHIP label on there, because the minute I see that I am the OWNER of this house, then right away my brain is going to say "I can do what I want, it's MY house" and I am going to immediately not give 2 turds what any neighbor thinks. If we're renting or leasing, to where HOA Inc. or whatever is the still the owner of the place I'm just paying so much a month for the right to live on their property, then it's more okay. But if I am supposed to be the OWNER, then either I can do what I want in a very absolute sense, or I don't own it to start with.

LRH

Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Wow, I never realized that regions in the USA were all HOA now, I guess I don't live in those areas. What areas are now all HOA? I'd be curious to look into that and understand how it developed.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No... it doesn't. If anything, the zoning and other laws common elsewhere are LESS arbitrary
than what can and too often does happen with HOA's which like that certain little girl in the fairy tale
might sometimes be very, very good but when not it is quite horrid.
Right. as you say, "...arbitrary." Qualifying "arbitrary" by agreeing to an existent degree of arbitrariness does not create non-existence of an arbitrary standard.
So, after all, we are in basic agreement.

Quote:
No one is forced into that choice, anywhere, any time.
There is always an option without an HOA. No governmental body says consumers must buy property in HOA neighorhoods. (I will roll over self-correct, if one is cited.)
That HOA neighborhoods are preferred by so many is crystal clear. The market has spoken.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Wow, I never realized that regions in the USA were all HOA now, I guess I don't live in those areas. What areas are now all HOA? I'd be curious to look into that and understand how it developed.
No region of the USA is "all HOA." No where. No how.

You are being misled by hyperbole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate