Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more desirable or worth more premium?
Corner lot is desirable 11 20.75%
Corner lot is NOT desirable 28 52.83%
Back-to-woods is desirable 37 69.81%
Back-to-woods is not desirable 5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 PM

32 posts, read 174,894 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just want to check what's desirable or carries more premium in general.

a) 2 homes in the same neighborhood, both are not near any major roads (25MPH speed limit). One is a corner lot and another is not. If everything being the same, what would you prefer and why?

b) Also, one backs to the woods and another doesn't. Which is more desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 09:36 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,487,912 times
I've owned 4 homes. 3 have been corner lots. I loved having more lawn to landscape. I liked not having neighbors on that end - having more space, less noise (none of my homes were on major roads).

Back to woods would completely depend. Is there going to be an increased risk of wild animals in your lawn? Do you have to worry about wildfires in your area? Do you have to worry about your kids getting lost out there?

Old 10-26-2013, 10:17 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times
Most corner lots I'm familiar with are pie wedge shaped. The house might face different angles. And if the lot is the same standard size of the others on the street, the back yard has always been very small, the front yard the larger yard. And the back yards are usually not private at all. Just my experience.

Great to show off landscaping. Good for couples. But families still often seem to like the back yards. Even though they bemoan the fact that they are "running the roads" to activities all evening long after school, they still like the idea that they could use the backyard if they wanted to.

It can be a lot to keep looking nice for possible hoa approval...or could be a joy.

When you say woods...which lot...corner?

How much woods...just a treed lot or actual acreage of woods.

Is the woods common property?

Lots of kids in the neighborhood?

Old 10-27-2013, 05:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
What might be built where the woods are? What is behind the other house? I would take the known over the unknown any day! If the woods is a park of some kind, that would be good. But vacant land? Want a shopping center or apartment building behind you?

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,386 times
Northern climates...............The disadvantage of a corner lot is a lot of sidewalk that the owner is responsible for snow removal.

I prefer corner lots and the ones I am familiar with are not pie or wedge shaped with a tint back yard.

They are a traditional size with a sidewalk on one side instead of a neighbor's property line.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:42 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
It depends on where you live. When I lived in Canada, it would not be an advantage to have a corner lot. (Think snow and ice removal)

In Houston, a corner lot is great as you get more yard and less neighbors.

The woods would be a plus for me, but others might not like the insects and snakes so close to home.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:22 AM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Corner lots are normal shapes here. The biggest issue out here is people lose back yard space. Due to setback requirements for corners, they often have small fenced yards. So, out here they are less desirable because most people want a fenced yard for kids and pets.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:20 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,228,719 times
Corner lots used to be more desirable because you got more land. In this area, you can usually fence but you may be required (by the town) to do more landscaping on the outside of your fence.

However, in the last few years, I've had more and more buyers tell me they don't like a corner lot due to less privacy.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times
Yeah, as Silverfall, I'm familiar with those set backs and the small back yards. Even in wonderful natural settings.

About the woods. I asked because you can check with the muni office on their 5 or 10 or whatever year plan for that woods. Is it a national forest? Is it someone's private property? Is is a lot of wet area (good because it's less likely to be attractive for building.) But also, talk to neighbors and hang around there sometimes. Some woods can be claimed as hangouts for kids or homeless. Even in the nicest areas. That's if its real woods and not just a heavily treed patch. You can walk in there and look for fires to keep warm, indications of where people rested or slept..hey, a worn path is a good indicator.

I'm not against woods. I love them and hence have discovered some things people do in them that would be off putting to me.

How about hunting? Any deer stands? Any shooting late afternoon or early morning? Any traps?

Just noticed your zip. If it's any of those wonderful parks, look into their restrictions. You can even call law enforcement and sometimes get a good scoop on what they find in and around the wooded areas. But take those restrictions with a grain of salt and do some of your own leg work as well.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:55 PM

92 posts, read 202,332 times
I owned a home on a corner lot and it was nice if for no other reason than the lack of two neighbors on both sides. The only downside was increased traffic; as everyone at the end of the road has to drive past your house, as well as those on the intersecting road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate