Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times

Advertisements

You could meet him in a dark ally. Moral of story: Put everything in writing. What he did was disgusting but you also had ample time to try and sell your house. It was gone whether your friend got it or a stranger. I agree with trying to get his real estate license revoked but that may be an uphill battle as well. Live and learn. The only person you can really depend on is yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:51 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Hire an attorney.
Hire better friends.

And I would file a complaint with the state real estate commission. Additionally, I'd use all social media methods to share your story.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:21 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,986,069 times
He bought your house at the foreclosure auction. It belongs to him and not to you.

You can see a lawyer, but I suspect he is going to tell you to not be so trusting next time and that the house belongs to the buyer.

I don't even think a contract would have saved you because when a house sells as a foreclosure, all obligations (except for federal taxes) are then void. But go ahead and pay a loawyer and see what he has to say about it.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilliger View Post
Came home that night and saw the realtor sign had been removed and an email from my piece of **** Freind saying we need to talk. Called him next morning and he said " he has changed his mind, I am going to keep the house, and our deal is not a good deal for me. And there is no way I am paying you 90k. I was doing you a favor I'll give you 20k for your efforts but our original deal is not good for me." He dangled this carrot in front of me not to file for forclosure, and do the work to get the house ready for sale, and when everything is done he then realizes its not a good deal.. I have text messages and voice recordings of everything iand he doesn't deny even now that he made the deal he just says its boy a fair deal and he isn't going to pay me. BTW. Never saw $20k he promised.
So I'm suing him for breach of contract. We have nothing in writing except text messages, recorded calls, and several mutual friends he talked to about our deal.
What can I do?? Also isnt there rules of conduct and laws in real estate where he is a Broker.
So now he is living in my house and I am in an apt.

Lots of wrong things done by you. I don't see how you can sue for breach when you had no contract
First of all I would go talk to a real estate lawyer. Make sure you take every form of communication you had with him. Signed written statements from your friends, emails, recordings whatever. But overall its pretty stupid to enter in such a deal with someone WITHOUT a written agreement. Good luck you may have a chance if the lawyer is good enough and the court believes you. But you need proof
Good luck

Old 10-27-2013, 11:55 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
I would try to talk to the friend and get the 20,000 because it beats nothing and it is the easiest way out. The morale of the story is never trust a RE agent friend or not and make sure to have a signed contract. Good luck too you.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Long time since I had an active Broker's license . . . as in, 30 years . . . but if I remember correctly, oral contracts may be enforceable in the state of North Carolina. Of course, the way to determine this is to hire an attorney, as others have advised. But I just throw out that tidbit in hopes it gives you something to ask your attorney about in regard to this real estate situation.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Additionally, I'd use all social media methods to share your story.
Why? SO the world can know he was in foreclosure and almost lost his business AND his house, as well as expected to have a second mortgage "forgiven"?

I'm not sure you can sue for breach of contract if there was no contract. Do you even have the $$ to pay an attorney?

It sounds like an experiences deal-maker took advantage of your situation. I think that stinks, but I also think it's a very hard lesson learned.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:41 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,398,483 times
The best thing you can do is transcribe all of your text messages, create a timeline of what happened, gather testimonials from any other people who may have been aware of the situation, and pull together any other evidence that might back up what you are claiming. Then take all of this to a qualified--and aggressive--real estate attorney.

You should also file a complaint with the local Realtor Board is he is a Realtor, and file a complaint with the state licensing authority.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
I'd make sure this shady character doesn't get away with swindling anyone else, but that's just me...

Old 10-27-2013, 04:31 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
You need a real estate lawyer who is also a litigator. Many r/e lawyers never set foot in a courtroom, except as expert witnesses, so ask about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate