Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,050,864 times

Advertisements

There is such a thing as over-improvement. I see one too many people overdo renovation on an otherwise crappy home in a crappy location.

Location location location is the golden rule of real estate.

You may actually lose money installing new cabinets, granite counters, hardwood floors, mouldings, etc.

Good example of flipper fever not too long ago in my area. Some investor bought a 2 story home built in the 80s, thought he could flip it for several hundred thousand more.
The problem was that it was a block away from the freeway. He totally renovated the interior, and ended up selling for slightly less than he bought it for... after renovation cost and over 1 year on the market.
School district is good, but school district alone does not sell a home.

Another example was this uglyazz single story home. Same issue as above. Flipper thought he could make the interior "mansion quality," but the front of the home still looked like a 1950s tract home box. It looked super cheap on the outside, overdone on the inside. Sale was a slight loss after 1 year on the market, property taxes, renovation cost, commissions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 05:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
There is such a thing as over-improvement. I see one too many people overdo renovation on an otherwise crappy home in a crappy location.

Location location location is the golden rule of real estate.

You may actually lose money installing new cabinets, granite counters, hardwood floors, mouldings, etc.

Good example of flipper fever not too long ago in my area. Some investor bought a 2 story home built in the 80s, thought he could flip it for several hundred thousand more.
The problem was that it was a block away from the freeway. He totally renovated the interior, and ended up selling for slightly less than he bought it for... after renovation cost and over 1 year on the market.
School district is good, but school district alone does not sell a home.

Another example was this uglyazz single story home. Same issue as above. Flipper thought he could make the interior "mansion quality," but the front of the home still looked like a 1950s tract home box. It looked super cheap on the outside, overdone on the inside. Sale was a slight loss after 1 year on the market, property taxes, renovation cost, commissions.
Yes, I've seen this a number of times. I figure it's a new or young flipper w/o experience.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 PM

837 posts, read 1,714,646 times
When I began shopping for houses a few weeks ago, I told the realtor that I would most like a small bungalow built between 1940 and 1960. I grew up in one and love the style. What I'm finding is that many have been renovated--new kitchens, nice bathrooms, etc. That's all well and good, but these older houses are also located in higher crime areas of the city. I will not buy the house of my dreams and spend my old age fearing burglaries and car theft.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,462,194 times
OP, I also have seen that. Sometimes developers buy a bad location in a nice neighborhood either to flip or build new. The houses tend to sit and sit and eventually sell at much lower prices than comparable houses in better locations. Duh! Did the developers think they were really shrewd to get a good "deal"? The property they bought was discounted because it was right on a busy road or noisy highway. If it's a fault most won't accept in a cheaper house, it's a fault people won't accept in a house the developers have improved to the point of doubling its asking price.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,317,016 times
The less expensive fixes will add more value without raising the amount of cash put into the cost of renovation... not needed to go all out in many cases. Also I'm not a fan of barn metal on a roof.. if not shingles, do a proper metal roof that doesn't have exposed screws. Granite on an otherwise inexpensive older home sometimes makes no sense if the rest of the home looks like ass...

Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,804,058 times
One should never put a tuxedo on a horse either!

Old 02-02-2017, 06:41 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,249,186 times
In the mid-2000s during the boom years "investors" were throwing granite countertops and stainless appliances into everything and then flipping for a profit. The improvements had nothing to do with the rising prices and during those years of 20-30% appreciation most could have made more money by just sweeping the floor and reselling.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:39 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,795,177 times
I agree you can't put money into a house next door to a condemned home with squatters and expect people to pay good money to live there. You can't throw $20K into a home that is only worth $50K in that market.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:22 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,716,852 times
It's amazing to me that people don't shop harder for real estate. The best way to make big bucks on flipping is to shop for distressed property. That can be deferred maintenance because the owner fell on hard times or got too old to keep up. Something as simple as an overgrown yard and a bad paint job, or cracked driveway and sidewalks, can make a big difference in purchase price. You can put all new finish in a kitchen, but a stupid kitchen layout will be a stupid kitchen layout forever.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:49 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,557,252 times
It depends on why you bought the house. If you bought it for "flipping," then yes. If you bought it, as we did, because we wanted to be close to family and save an old house, then it's a different set of priorities. The house we bought is located in a run-down small town with low property values--with an incredible history, people committed to preserving and rejuvenating the town, and wonderful neighbors. The house is 100 years old, in the historic district, and represents that history. It's worth saving, as is the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate