Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 PM

104 posts, read 290,444 times

Advertisements

apparently this conjures up some negative connotations to neighbors? sure does make a house hard to sell!
affordable housing is significantly different from low income housing. and most towns (in my neck of the woods-central NJ) now require new developments to have a portion dedicated to affordable housing.
i am amazed as to how people think these are reserved for sub humans and that your house and your neighborhood is no longer safe.....
anyone experience this attitude or these complexes being developed?
i now know why my house is becoming hard to sell, because there is a new development of luxury rentals going up and a portion of them are affordable units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Never heard of this regarding real estate for sale (as a requirement), just with apartment developments, but I'm not in New Jersey either. If the "affordable" housing is scattered amongst the other homes, I'm against it. If it's an entirely separate section, i.e. "Maple Groves gardens" vs. "Maple Grove Heights" and "Maple Grove Estates, within the umbrella development of "Maple Grove" then that would be okaY.

: just saw you ARE talking about apartments. I suspect it's a prejudice against apartments in general.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM

in NJ there are affordable housing and affordable rentals. it just means that you have to have a maximum income below the median of that town. the rentals and houses are still expensive and there is not gov't assistance in the payment (maybe mortgage rates) if you meet the household size, and income limits. there are restrictions, and there is usually more applicants than availability, so the people are carefully selected. they don't put them in a separate area, but commingled within the community. the applicants are blue collar, teachers, fireman, young families just starting out.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
apparently this conjures up some negative connotations to neighbors? sure does make a house hard to sell!
affordable housing is significantly different from low income housing. and most towns (in my neck of the woods-central NJ) now require new developments to have a portion dedicated to affordable housing.
i am amazed as to how people think these are reserved for sub humans and that your house and your neighborhood is no longer safe.....
anyone experience this attitude or these complexes being developed?
i now know why my house is becoming hard to sell, because there is a new development of luxury rentals going up and a portion of them are affordable units.
It's been that way for a long time in NJ. It's a Mount Laurel obligation that developers of townhouses/condo complexes have to adhere to. Unless the town sells the obligation to another town.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
in NJ there are affordable housing and affordable rentals. it just means that you have to have a maximum income below the median of that town. the rentals and houses are still expensive and there is not gov't assistance in the payment (maybe mortgage rates) if you meet the household size, and income limits. there are restrictions, and there is usually more applicants than availability, so the people are carefully selected. they don't put them in a separate area, but commingled within the community. the applicants are blue collar, teachers, fireman, young families just starting out.
Ok.

So maybe you should be telling your potential buyers all of this intel.

You seem to know a lot about the issue so why do YOU think a potential buyer will balk after hearing "affordable housing"?

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
If that's NJ law, where else will someone live if they want to live in NJ? It will be in every sub-division, no?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:27 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
how do you feel about affordable housing?
I prefer it to "unaffordable" housing.

The stigma with "affordable housing" is usually that its viewed as either a lower-quality development or that the occupants are receiving some type of government assistance in order to live there. In my view, the worst type of "affordable" housing is the trailer parks that sprout up in my area under the false premise that they are "affordable" and good for the residents. It seems that they are only good for the developers who charge exhorbitant lot rents--making living there the worst of both worlds: the residents own their trailer unit (which depreciates rapidly and is usually financed), plus they're stuck in a perpetual rental situation due to the lot rent. It's a very bad investment and it can trap people into a no-win situation. At least that's the way it is around here, since the laws are skewed in favor of building mobile home parks. (Guess who had a good lobby?)

Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 AM

Sawdust maker is correct. it is in NJ what is called Mt. Laurel decision. it is only in townhomes and condos i guess because it is easier to blend into the community. so you will have a couple of entire buildings dedicated as the affordable section, within the same development sometimes they look the same sometimes not. yes no town wants this but most towns have been pushing this away for years. they no longer can do that and the towns will not allow the builders to build unless they have affordable housing. the problem (for some) is that these are usually in nice and "well to do" areas and in my case in a neighborhood with million dollar homes, mine being one of them. as i mentioned, there is no gov't assistance, it is strictly a requirement that your household income is less than the average of the town-so in well to do areas, the income level is higher. you are restricted in the number of people that live in the home, you have to have good credit and steady income.
i am now having a tough time selling because buyers turn off the main road where these are being built and they go up a few blocks to my little enclave of $1m homes and ask what's moving in? i did put together a handout sheet explaining about the rentals but not that there will be affordable housing included in this community, either way, they don't like it.
i had a neighbor ask how the selling is going and she said i bet it didn't sell because of the low income housing! i explained its affordable housing and asked what her concerns were, and they were the school system would not be as good anymore and traffic etc. it was just hard to hear how uninformed people are and sometimes just down right ignorant. as if anyone who doesn't want to live beyond their means is bad for a community

Old 11-01-2013, 07:30 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Default Affordable housing?

yes, please!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I'm for affordable housing (people have to live somewhere) but I'm not for Section 8 houses smack dab in the middle of a middle class neighborhood. Put them in other low income areas.

Nor am I for "low income" units within a 'regular' complex. Either it's a low income complex or it's not...no in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate