Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:07 AM

231 posts, read 1,142,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Welcome to the world of real estate! Very soon you'll get to replay these very same scenes vicariously through your clients. Even as an agent, it's sometimes difficult not to become emotionally involved. I guess I "bond" a little too much with my clients - I just can't help feeling for what they're going through.

Glad things have worked out for you, twinmma. Maybe not the deal you were hoping for, but you're a giant step ahead of all the other folks sitting on their homes hoping to get their "price" while the market continues to slide. YOU'RE OUT OF THERE!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Gretchen, the only problem with "bonding" too much with clients, is that, when things go bad, they feel close enough to you to vent and blame you, which they would not if you kept more of a distance. Also, it is harder to bond with clients if you have more than just a couple deals going on at a time. That is the main reason high producing agents maintain a business like reserve is that they can't squander emotional energy on one or two emotionally draining clients. Best thing, again, about emotional reserve, is that clients are trained not to negative vent, unlike the touchy-feely agents who, to their ultimate travail, invite negative venting when things take a downturn.

Last edited by soothsayer1234; 11-22-2007 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 AM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
Well, it is done. The written is being faxed over today. (although I have heard that before, lol! And at the $286K!)
We settled at $283K and he gets to keep our $2500 fridge...Not happy about it, but I just want to have a nice day tomorrow and not have to worry about it. We paid $306K NOT including the fridge, so tomorrow-for peace- is costing me about $26K, lol!
I think he lied and did go back on his word but uncle already. I don't want to be another 6 months on the market and considering a $250K offer. So....
Oh, and the couple who looked today LOVED the house but hated the location. And, location has been our biggest issue. Had we been closer in we probably would have gotten $335K, our initial asking price. Oh well. Done! (as long as we get the written today and we said it HAD to be today or no deal)

Yes, that is my feeling also, but, twin, if you and your hubby are okay with just getting the doggone deal done, then I hope you have God's speed.

Real estate stuff aside, to twin:

The thing for me (for me) that I don't like is that this "going back on one's word" is not some isolated little incident that rears its head only in real estate negotations. I have noticed that this behavior is part of that type of person's way of doing things in work relationships, friendships, romantic relationships, relationships with neighbors, trying to get out of something that's not going their way, etc.; and the behavior doesn't stop when they have children, so then the kids are picking up on this behavior. It's a trust issue for me. How often does the story change in other situations? How bolstered are these people when they realize that a little tweak of the truth worked out okay? This is just how I feel. The integrity thing bothers me big time, too.

But, I see from one of your other posts that you're just about done with selling your house, so Woohoo! Congratulations!

Last edited by virgo; 11-22-2007 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Punctuation

Old 11-22-2007, 09:35 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
Gretchen, the only problem with "bonding" too much with clients, is that, when things go bad, they feel close enough to you to vent and blame you,
which they would not if you kept more of a distance. Also, it is harder to
bond with clients if you have more than just a couple deals going on at a time. That is the main reason high producing agents maintain a business
like reserve is that they can't squander emotional energy on one or two
emotionally draining clients. Best thing, again, about emotional reserve,
is that clients are trained not to negative vent, unlike the touchy-feely
agents who, to their ultimate travail, invite negative venting when things
take a downturn.
Soothsayer, I guess I've been very fortunate in that I've been able to have a nice business relationship with my clients, but I think most of them have felt like I'm an honest person who truly cares about them. And, you're right, soothsayer, there is "danger" in caring about your clients and not just viewing them as "parties to the contract". However, without being "touchy-feely", I really enjoy having a rapport with my clients - I just don't think I'd enjoy doing the business any other way. But you're also right that at times this business can be emotionally draining, regardless. I wrote 2 contracts yesterday, and one of the agents on the other side was a total idiot - she gave her client extremely poor advice, and blew the deal for her seller and my buyer. Just very frustrating with some of the things that are beyond our control.

Twinmma - however you choose to do the business, I hope it's your niche and you enjoy it very much!

Old 11-22-2007, 04:09 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
Yes, that is my feeling also, but, twin, if you and your hubby are okay with just getting the doggone deal done, then I hope you have God's speed.

Real estate stuff aside, to twin:

The thing for me (for me) that I don't like is that this "going back on one's word" is not some isolated little incident that rears its head only in real estate negotations. I have noticed that this behavior is part of that type of person's way of doing things in work relationships, friendships, romantic relationships, relationships with neighbors, trying to get out of something that's not going their way, etc.; and the behavior doesn't stop when they have children, so then the kids are picking up on this behavior. It's a trust issue for me. How often does the story change in other situations? How bolstered are these people when they realize that a little tweak of the truth worked out okay? This is just how I feel. The integrity thing bothers me big time, too.

But, I see from one of your other posts that you're just about done with selling your house, so Woohoo! Congratulations!
well said. i was raised right...i feel for others who were not.

Old 11-22-2007, 04:11 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Soothsayer, I guess I've been very fortunate in that I've been able to have a nice business relationship with my clients, but I think most of them have felt like I'm an honest person who truly cares about them. And, you're right, soothsayer, there is "danger" in caring about your clients and not just viewing them as "parties to the contract". However, without being "touchy-feely", I really enjoy having a rapport with my clients - I just don't think I'd enjoy doing the business any other way. But you're also right that at times this business can be emotionally draining, regardless. I wrote 2 contracts yesterday, and one of the agents on the other side was a total idiot - she gave her client extremely poor advice, and blew the deal for her seller and my buyer. Just very frustrating with some of the things that are beyond our control.

Twinmma - however you choose to do the business, I hope it's your niche and you enjoy it very much!
thank you! i am going to get my license, just hold opens for awhile as i learn, then become an assistant and then when my kids are in school go full time. i learned a lot from selling this home and have bought and sold three others...everyone being a different experience. I hope to take my marketing experience and apply it to real estate. thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate