Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:27 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,801,829 times

Advertisements

I agree with topic started. Most realtors we ever came across was exactly the same as described in first post.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,631,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I agree with topic started. Most realtors we ever came across was exactly the same as described in first post.
You know what I find telling? No matter how many threads are started about how all real estate agents, Realtors, brokers, etc. are unethical, have no morals and on and on, I have never seen anyone come on this site and say that one of the agents here was such.

Considering many of the agents use their real name or at the very least let it known the area they work in wouldn't it stand to reason that one of their clients would come across their posts here and let it be known? But not once have I seen that happen, I have seen people come on thanking a few of the agents for their help though.

Stereotypical descriptions on an entire industry only exposes the ignorance of those making the claims.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,717,749 times
One of the issues with any profession that relies on sales commissions, is that if the sale is not made then one does not get paid. This can lead to "maybe not being candid shall we say" to make the sale happen.

One sales mantra is do not answer the question unless it is asked.

It is the nature of the beast.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:42 PM

455 posts, read 898,083 times
B...But it really isn't tomorrow!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One of the issues with any profession that relies on sales commissions, is that if the sale is not made then one does not get paid. This can lead to "maybe not being candid shall we say" to make the sale happen.

One sales mantra is do not answer the question unless it is asked.

It is the nature of the beast.
Actually, the "beast" is the person, and the "nature" of the "beast" is self-determined regardless of compensation format.

Most people, agents and consumers both, do not default to animal behavior for a few bucks

Old 11-11-2013, 03:01 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,660,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Interesting that you assume I am a male because you assume I am an attorney looking for business or a janitor who cleaned a law firm. Chauvanist much?

In addition, your snide immature comments are not doing much to increase the credibility of realtors or to gain more respect for the profession. You are simply reinforcing a negative stereotype of the realtor, and further casting doubts upon their ethics.
Remember that old saying about arguing with a fool?

They will beat you with experience.

Although some posts, on the surface attempt be self serving, they actually validate the public's experience with commissioned sales people.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM

410 posts, read 1,292,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
In a really hot market, more people sell by owner as the marketing services of a realtor may not be necessary. In that case, one could pay an attorney about $500 to represent you in the sale, review the contract, negotiate or advise regarding the sale. Isn't the value a realtor brings marketing? If everything is in your favor, traffic by the house, word of mouth, low inventory, a seller may not need to market the house, but would still need an attorney. I've seen on forums that realtors feel they are needed to keep deals together and help with loans, etc., but I've never actually witnessed that in action.

While most rely on Realtors, some choose another way | HeraldTribune.com
Everytime I read one of these posts about how real estate is so easy.. anyone can do it.. in hot markets homes sells themselves... blah, blah, blah.. it makes me want to scream. I would say 25% of my transactions are easy. The others involve some sort of complication (or multiple complications) that has to be worked out to my client's satisfaction.

Take the one I'm working on right now.. a sewer line issue.. hours, (actually just this one issue on this transaction has taken a couple weeks) of dealing with the camera scope company, the buyer's agent, the city, the water company, the title company, the lender everyone needing answers and solutions and we are a week away from closing. Multiple visits to the house, inspections, second opinions, the list goes on and on. But you know, thank goodness I'm there for this client to help him through all this because he would have gone insane by now (his words not mine). And sometimes we even save them money.. to the tune of $3000 on one issue that came up that he was prepared and willing to pay for. But through good negotiation skills, I was able to save him that money. Of course, the easy thing to do would be to just give the buyer what they want and I wouldn't have to spend the time and effort on it.

So, for the person that comes along to read this post at some point thinking all real estate agents are worthless, not necessary, overpaid, or unethical.. not all real estate agents are like that. There are good ones out there that will make one of the most stressful times of your lives easier. All industries have bad seeds and that's too bad. Asking for a recommendation from a friend that had a good
experience would be a great place to start.

To the poster that said most people do this because of the lack of education requirements.. that's an eye opener. I am very well educated and have a Master's Degree. I chose real estate as a career because I realized after a couple transactions of my own dealing with incompetent agents that I really loved the process, the search and making the match and also loved that I'm my own boss. I don't understand where people get the idea that this is a business that is easy to get into. It's actually time consuming in this state to get licensed and it's pretty darn expensive maintaining a license/business.

And to the OP: it's never ok for someone to take advantage of another person and treat them poorly. I'm sorry that you were treated that way. If you feel you have been harmed, you can always file a complaint with the real estate commission in your state.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Remember that old saying about arguing with a fool?

They will beat you with experience.

Although some posts, on the surface attempt be self serving, they actually validate the public's experience with commissioned sales people.
Another non sequitor, irrelevant to this thread.

Enigma was obviously not arguing with a fool.
I am not a "commissioned salesperson."
I am not "attempt be self serving." (sic).

But, it is good, really noteworthy even, that you finally may recognize the value of experience over emotional drivel and misleading statements. Finally! I gladly anticipate further growth in your posts in terms of relevance and integrity!

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 11-11-2013 at 03:53 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I can only imagine if the OP worked for a doctor he didn't like.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I can only imagine if the OP worked for a doctor he didn't like.
Wow. Just wow.

Imagine the furor from the short bus if a real estate agent had posted THAT!

"You're comparing realAtors to a doctor now? I'm having a hemorrhage just thinking about it!"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.