Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:52 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Couldn't he just have my realtor write it up as a dual agency and have her take that 2.5 off and reduce the price of the house by that amount? She has done that before with a house that I sold and the person that bought it, bought from her because they saw it at an open house she did. She would have gotten both sides of the commission but she only took one side and took the other side off the price of the house.
Some firms require their brokers to handle all real estate transactions through the firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 11:57 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some firms require their brokers to handle all real estate transactions through the firm.
I can see why the firm would want that, but boy is that ever an expensive rule for an agent buying for himself.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I can see why the firm would want that, but boy is that ever an expensive rule for an agent buying for himself.
Agents should always consider the whole package deal when joining a firm.

Some will allow personal transactions for free or nominal fee.
But some firms learn, painfully, that some agents will hang a license, ignore policies, and only do their own deals, hoping to expose the firm to liability and costs for free.

It is also not uncommon for a firm to allow one free personal transaction a year, or multiple transactions after the broker is capped on commission split.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM

959 posts, read 1,823,647 times
Interestinly enough. I did some digging on this agent and it turns out that he does not even work for a real estate agency anymore. He worked for one as a Director of Acquisition back from 2006-2008, but is not even working in real estate anymore, according to his linkedin profile. He works at a renewable energy company as a developement manager. He might have gotten his licence for the two years that he worked at the RE firm and then just kept renewing it or something. I thought something was strange when the card he left was from a totally different city in the state and his name was written in. Scares me that he still has access to the systems that agents do and was able to schedule a showing and let himself into my house.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Interestinly enough. I did some digging on this agent and it turns out that he does not even work for a real estate agency anymore. He worked for one as a Director of Acquisition back from 2006-2008, but is not even working in real estate anymore, according to his linkedin profile. He works at a renewable energy company as a developement manager. He might have gotten his licence for the two years that he worked at the RE firm and then just kept renewing it or something. I thought something was strange when the card he left was from a totally different city in the state and his name was written in. Scares me that he still has access to the systems that agents do and was able to schedule a showing and let himself into my house.
That is all a bit more interesting than any notion of "greed."
But, here, there are many places an inactive agent can "hang" a license for a few bucks.

Much more intriguing is the means of access. Again, Here, unless he is a member of MLS, he cannot get a code for the lockbox.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:16 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,190 times
Quote:
That should not scare you - there are loads of investors who get their own license so that they can look at property on their time and not an agents time...I buy rental properties all the time, and I have a full time job outside of real-estate. I got my license, and its great to be able to view properties on your own time and also have the added advantage of getting a 3% discount on each purchase regardless of the price. I would be a terrible client, b/c I am looking for specific houses, and the things I look for as an investor are generally related more to the structural state of the property, not what it looks like...I buy 1 in maybe 15 or 20 houses that I look at, and it may take me 4-5 months of looking before I get what I want. B/C I am not wasting anyone elses time I have no guilt over that...if I was paying an agent to drag me around on their time, I might feel more pressure to make bad choices....as it is, I get only what I want and I can do it on my lunch break!

I have all access that full time agents have...my fingerprints, photo, palm print, bank accounts, criminal background check etc are all on file with the state. If I let myself into your house, you would know it. Your agent likely gets an email every single time your key is obtained from the Supra Box

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
That should not scare you - there are loads of investors who get their own license so that they can look at property on their time and not an agents time...I buy rental properties all the time, and I have a full time job outside of real-estate. I got my license, and its great to be able to view properties on your own time and also have the added advantage of getting a 3% discount on each purchase regardless of the price. I would be a terrible client, b/c I am looking for specific houses, and the things I look for as an investor are generally related more to the structural state of the property, not what it looks like...I buy 1 in maybe 15 or 20 houses that I look at, and it may take me 4-5 months of looking before I get what I want. B/C I am not wasting anyone elses time I have no guilt over that...if I was paying an agent to drag me around on their time, I might feel more pressure to make bad choices....as it is, I get only what I want and I can do it on my lunch break!

I have all access that full time agents have...my fingerprints, photo, palm print, bank accounts, criminal background check etc are all on file with the state. If I let myself into your house, you would know it. Your agent likely gets an email every single time your key is obtained from the Supra Box
Did the OP mention a Supra?
If they use combo boxes in Minnesota, entry by someone who is not entitled is wrong as the day is long.

Here, being caught giving a code to anyone who is not an MLS member is an immediate $500 fine from MLS.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:42 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Did the OP mention a Supra?
If they use combo boxes in Minnesota, entry by someone who is not entitled is wrong as the day is long.

Here, being caught giving a code to anyone who is not an MLS member is an immediate $500 fine from MLS.
OP said the guy was an agent. Just because he is not associated with his old firm anymore, does not make him any less of an agent. If he has his license hung somewhere (or is a broker himself) he has all the same access as any other agent, regardless of who he is working for (himself or a 3rd party)

I have no formal business cards with my real estate license on them...My comment was based on the belief that this person is still an agent licensed in his state. I assume supra, since pretty much everyone uses them now...I know some folks dont, but its a pretty safe assumption.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:52 PM

959 posts, read 1,823,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
OP said the guy was an agent. Just because he is not associated with his old firm anymore, does not make him any less of an agent. If he has his license hung somewhere (or is a broker himself) he has all the same access as any other agent, regardless of who he is working for (himself or a 3rd party)

I have no formal business cards with my real estate license on them...My comment was based on the belief that this person is still an agent licensed in his state. I assume supra, since pretty much everyone uses them now...I know some folks dont, but its a pretty safe assumption.
I have a lockbox.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I have a lockbox.
Manual combination lock box, not electronic, right?

Supra is also a lockbox, but has electronics and tracking ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate