Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM

17 posts, read 130,915 times

Advertisements

So my rent is late. Admittedly it's my own fault. I prepaid for 3 months then I completely forgot I needed to pay this month. My landlord did leave me a voicemail about it but I never listened to it because my roommate told me not to bother because my landlord had called her about bout a problem with the electric and she took care of that and she figured shed call me bout the same thing. She texted me today saying I need to pay a $100 late fee. That's probably fair.

However, there are two issues that my landlord has not taken care of. The first is the lock on my bedroom door doesnt work. It apeears whoever put the door in didnt align it properly with the frame. I have asked her at least 3 times to fix it because I am concerned for satefy reasons (my old apartment got broken into when I was home) but she hasnt. Also, a plumber had to come and fix a big leak in the air conditioner and to do so he had to cut 4 rather big holes probably 6 inches by 6 inches, maybe bigger in one of my bedroom walls. This was probably like 2 months ago. That still hasn't been fixed. I even told my landlords mom about it 2ish weeks ago and still nothing. You can see the pipes in the walll. It's embarrassing to say the least...And sometimes bugs crawl out of the holes

So my questions are: is there anything I can do about the late fee or should I just pay it? And what can I do about the other two problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 12:27 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
You need to pay the late fee. Period. End of subject.

Did you make the request for repairs in writing? Can you document the dates? Probably not. In any event, make the requests in writing now, referring to the approximate dates you asked for these repairs before. Don't bother mentioning request to the landlord's mother - that's just an idle conversation - she's not your landlord.

In your written request, ask politely that the repairs be completed in 7 business days.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:29 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Seperate issues. Pay your rent and the late fee. You should always ask nicely if they will waive the fee due to the unusualy circumstances, but pay if they say no.

Put your request for repairs in writing and deliver it to them. If no activity has occurred in a reasonable time period, send them another request via certified mail. Check with your local housing authority to determine what, if any, regulations deal with these types of repairs and what legal remedy you may have.

those remedies are unrelated to your late fee since it was not due to the repairs, it was due to your mental lapse.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:31 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Pay your rent. Then ask if you can deduct expenses to fix the door and other repairs if the landlord doesn't complete them within a reasonable time.

Sounds like you don't have the cash and are looking to get over.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:53 PM

17 posts, read 130,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You need to pay the late fee. Period. End of subject.

Did you make the request for repairs in writing? Can you document the dates? Probably not. In any event, make the requests in writing now, referring to the approximate dates you asked for these repairs before. Don't bother mentioning request to the landlord's mother - that's just an idle conversation - she's not your landlord.

In your written request, ask politely that the repairs be completed in 7 business days.
I will pay it.

But I made the requests via text. They still on my phone. Does that count?

And the landlords mother is listed on the lease as well. The mother lives in town and the landlord does not. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.

But is it okay to text my request or do I need to mail a letter or something?

I do not feel as though she wants to fix the lock issue. My mom made it clear when we signed my lease that we expected to the door to lock and the landlord promised it would. However, it still does not. She blames the fact that the house is old and that it shifts but she just remodeled it and all the other doors lock...

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
OP, sending a text message is no guarantee that it was delivered/received by the recipient. You would need to hire a lawyer to subpoena records from their cellular provider.

Showing the messages in your phone is not proof of anything in this case. A written letter sent Certified US Mail with copies of all correspondence is your best bet.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:06 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
I'll also throw in that you can email your landlord and request that she reply back by email or, at least, acknowledge her receipt of your email with a quick reply. That will probably suffice. Look at your lease. Then, go online and look at the Landlord-Tenant Laws of your state. Just about everything you will need to know will be contained in there. Don't assume that your landlord has any more knowledge of the content of your lease and the state statutes than you. In fact, most don't know what is really in either. In my personal opinion, it is best that you fulfill your responsibility under the lease first and then hold your landlord accountable to do the same. If you must go to court, you will be in far better shape. I'm not an attorney and can't give you legal advice or opinions but the above is consistent with everything I've ever read on the subject. When in doubt, talk to a real estate attorney!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:26 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
There's probably a landlord tenant group in your state that you can call for info and direction.

You can also call the health dept. about the landlord putting holes in your walls where bugs crawl out of.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
If you are concerned for safety while you are in the bedroom...see about buying either a Hook & Eye or Barrel Bolt lock and install yourself with screws.

Here are some links with samples of them
Google Image Result for http://homemakersdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Hook-and-eye-unlocked-515x386.jpg

National Hardware 3 in. Barrel Bolt in Black-V834 3 BARREL BOLT BLK at The Home Depot

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...3#.UoQxBSko4cA

Old 11-14-2013, 10:24 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Deifinitely pay the late fee. You might want to call the landlord and apologize for it due to the 3 months prepay and arrange t drop off a check. When you pay, maybe ask if they had received the texts and when they are going to fix those items. They are probably going to be a bit more amenable to correcting them quickly when they have a current and apologetic tenant in front of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate